GM files trademark application for 'Z28'

This is a discussion on GM files trademark application for 'Z28' within the General Help forums, part of the 5th Generation Chevrolet Camaro 2010 - 2015 category; Filed under: Convertible , Coupe , Performance , Chevrolet , Rumormill This should raise the eyebrows of a few Camaro ...

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation GM files trademark application for 'Z28'

Filed under: Convertible, Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet, Rumormill

This should raise the eyebrows of a few Camaro enthusiasts. GM Authority is reporting that General Motors has filed with the "United States Patent and Trademark Office for a trademark of the "Z28" moniker. Oh, do we have your attention?

Many GM performance fans were surprised when Chevrolet did not use the Z28 nameplate for its range-topping, supercharged ZL1 Camaro. There were rumors afoot that Chevrolet may still employ the Z28 name at some point, but some of the air went out of that balloon when an option pack debuted between the SS and the ZL1 wearing the 1LE designation. And potentially furthering this speculation is an April tidbit from Camaro5, where a forum member discovered that his Camaro ZL1 diffuser bracket had the designation "Z28" on it.

Yet while many such filings are to be taken with a grain of salt (often it's just a brand looking to protect a dormant or lapsed trademark), a development like this only stokes the rumormongers' flames.

The ZL1 is, without a doubt, the top of the Camaro performance ladder, so where would a Z28 fit? GM Authority offers some speculation, suggesting that a production Z28 could "even out-muscle the ZL1." Another interesting theory they offer is that the Z28 appellation could replace the Camaro SS designation, as Chevy has the Zeta-based SS sedan range coming in next year, and GM officials could be worried about confusion in the marketplace.

When the first-generation Camaro came out in 1967, Z28 was merely the option code designation for a race-ready package (SS models were option code Z27). It was not mentioned in any literature and many customers did not know about it at first. Since then, the Z/28 has become an iconic name in the world of muscle cars.GM files trademark application for 'Z28' originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

This is awesome. Curious on where this will be placed on the model hierarchy.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

The Z28 LS9 powered Camaro, zero options and lightweight. Race ready.
    :

2016 Summit White 1SS

2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    The Z28 LS9 powered Camaro, zero options and lightweight. Race ready.
    :
    So essentially it will be to the ZL1 that the 1LE is to the SS ? I could live with that.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

I don't think the ZL1 is outer space in pricing for what it is, maybe GM thinks they can go one step higher. I could also live with that. I also think it should look the most aggressive of the bunch. Keep it light but make it mean....without making it ridiculous of course...there is always a stopping point.

Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post

I don't think the ZL1 is outer space in pricing for what it is, maybe GM thinks they can go one step higher. I could also live with that. I also think it should look the most aggressive of the bunch. Keep it light but make it mean....without making it ridiculous of course...there is always a stopping point.
    Well 2014 the Camaro is finally being produced on it's own chassis, vs. using the Aussie one. So it is already losing some weight. IMO, the 1LE should have been the Z28, a track ready, no bullshit Camaro.

Thread Information