Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

5th gen Camaro sales still strong.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/january-...gate-6603.html

January sales for GM are in and they were the best out of all car brands up 21.8% without including the sales of brands that are now gone (Saab, Hummer, Saturn, Pontiac which totaled 1,727 combined last year). GM sold a combined 178,896 vehicles even with a drop in fleet sales of 7% vs last year. Ford was behind them with 127,317. 2010 vehicles were a small percentage for GM since they are now producing to demand vs capacity.

"Camaro dropped 11.3 percent, to 4,763. Ford recorded 3,165 Mustang sales, off 33.3 percent and Dodge played catch-up with 2,526 Challenger sales, 50 percent higher than the previous January."

Now I don't care why the Mustang, Challenger or Camaro is better from a performance/looks point of view. Don't want another thread closed b/c of stupid debates that lead no where and to insults. But with all the guys on here who hate the way the Camaro looks and the Mustang proven to be faster why do you all think the Camaro saw a much smaller percentage in sales drop vs mustang this month? Are we seeing alot of GM loyalty and former GM muscle car owners coming back still pushing sales? Are people just more in love with the looks of the Camaro vs Mustang or Challenger? Or does GM just have one hell of a hype machine going with all the advertising from them and other 3rd party companies?

Personally I think alot of our views are tainted by our love for the 4th gens and just high performance cars in general. The blocky heavy paperweight look of the 5th gen just goes against everything we think a sports car should be. Especially when we look at the stats on paper they are just heavy ass pigs. Also most of us are just sick of the retro designs in general. But for the general public the looks hearken back to the days of the classic muscle car wars. That name and design just makes them think of fun that is a muscle car.

Then again I waiver from day to day if I like the 5th gen or not. But I have high hopes for them when they go to the new alpha platform in 2015.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

yes... i've been buying all them ugly pieces of shit and having them sent to a crusher... enjoy your next soda or beer... it's made of dead ugly retro junk camaro...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    yes... i've been buying all them ugly pieces of shit and having them sent to a crusher... enjoy your next soda or beer... it's made of dead ugly retro junk camaro...
    Tell us how you really feel...

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Yea I am kinda up in the air about them some day's I like the way they look other days I don't like them, but one thing that will never change is what I think about the weight of them. But we cannot deny the sales that they are getting, for the simple fact that even tho the camaro is outperformed in every area that it is still selling better than the mustang and challenger, I believe it's mainly because the camaro has been gone and it was pretty much an american idol for 30+ years, it has finally hit the market again so everybody is automatically wanting them for that simple fact!!

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Yep what he said. It's just because of the pause in Camaro production.

Brilliant marketing. A car line that has a history and loyal fans isn't selling well, the market won't support a redesign, kill it and bring it back after hyping it for three or four years. Chevy knew what they were doing.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
    Brilliant marketing. A car line that has a history and loyal fans isn't selling well, the market won't support a redesign, kill it and bring it back after hyping it for three or four years. Chevy knew what they were doing.
    They def knew what they were doing, but what they didn't think about was making the new camaro in a outperformed design they were gearing for more of a looks type of deal.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Everytime i see a Green or Orange one i like the car very much.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Something about a white 5th gen that I just love, have never been a fan of white but I love it on the 5th gens. Add orange stripes and I wet my pantaloons.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

My sister (the one with the Z06) and her hubby took the Vette in for servicing, saw a black 2SS/RS with Inferno orange interior on the showroom floor and bought it.

He was on a car buying spree in December as he also purchased a 1 owner 1941 Mercury with just over 26,xxx original miles on it as well as a 47 Ford panel restomod with a 350/Th350, Ididit tilt steering and custom interior and paint.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    My sister (the one with the Z06) and her hubby took the Vette in for servicing, saw a black 2SS/RS with Inferno orange interior on the showroom floor and bought it.

He was on a car buying spree in December as he also purchased a 1 owner 1941 Mercury with just over 26,xxx original miles on it as well as a 47 Ford panel restomod with a 350/Th350, Ididit tilt steering and custom interior and paint.
    WTF? They rich? I wanna be able to do that someday!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    WTF? They rich? I wanna be able to do that someday!
    Richer than God! He and his brother co-own an ice manufacturing company. They have quite the customer list.

He recently built a 1500 sq ft garage to hold the overflow of cars and bikes (26 various HD's - they flew out to Milwaukee to buy the dresser and drove it home, hitting Sturgis on the way back). This is in addition to a 3 car garage (most of the bikes) and 6 car garage that is attached to the house.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 02-01-2011 at 09:38 PM.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

This doesn't surprise me, the Camaro was unbelievably overhyped and advertised heavily which built up a lot of demand for it from the public. Also, everyone knew the 5.0 was debuting and was only available for about half of the year, so this is sort of what you get.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    But I have high hopes for them when they go to the new alpha platform in 2015.
    When did this date change? I read they wear going to the Alpha platform in 2012 for the Z28 Model.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    This doesn't surprise me, the Camaro was unbelievably overhyped and advertised heavily which built up a lot of demand for it from the public. Also, everyone knew the 5.0 was debuting and was only available for about half of the year, so this is sort of what you get.
    Not sure exactly what ya mean but the numbers are just for this January. The 5.0 is out now and demand has dropped vs last January when only the 4.6 was available for the Mustang at a much larger rate then the Camaro.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    When did this date change? I read they wear going to the Alpha platform in 2012 for the Z28 Model.
    http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...ons/index.html

This is the last ive seen on it. But everything Ive read is that the Z28 will still be Zeta platform for the last couple years for the current 5th gen and that the alpha platform will start a new body design and probably will be considered 6th gen.
    Last edited by raynor139; 02-02-2011 at 08:06 AM.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Not sure exactly what ya mean but the numbers are just for this January. The 5.0 is out now and demand has dropped vs last January when only the 4.6 was available for the Mustang at a much larger rate then the Camaro.
    Oops, thought it was for 2010, my bad.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...ons/index.html

This is the last ive seen on it. But everything Ive read is that the Z28 will still be Zeta platform for the last couple years for the current 5th gen and that the alpha platform will start a new body design and probably will be considered 6th gen.
    Per the above article -
    "The Alpha four-cylinder almost certainly will be the ’15 Chevrolet Camaro, which should be somewhat smaller and much lighter than the current model. A turbo- or supercharged V-6 could be the Camaro’s premium engine, though of course, a lightweight, Hyundai Genesis-size Z/28 with a small block would be killer."

a 4 Banger Camaro???

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Per the above article -
    "The Alpha four-cylinder almost certainly will be the ’15 Chevrolet Camaro, which should be somewhat smaller and much lighter than the current model. A turbo- or supercharged V-6 could be the Camaro’s premium engine, though of course, a lightweight, Hyundai Genesis-size Z/28 with a small block would be killer."

a 4 Banger Camaro???
    They had them in the past, why not do it again if there is a market for it?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
    They had them in the past, why not do it again if there is a market for it?
    The early 3rd gen Camaro's with the "Iron Duke" 4 cylinder was a joke...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information