Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

The Gen V small Block is HERE!

450hp 450 ft lbs and more efficient than a gtr TT v6? Sounds like a badass little engine....
    Chevrolet Debuts Gen V LT1 V8 Engine for C7 Corvette - Hot Rod Magazine Blog

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

at lease they didn't go with Opti again

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Looks interesting, some old tech mixed with some new. But 450hp out of the 6.2 liter isn't really all that efficient and is only 14 more hp than the 6.2 in the grand sport. Sure it probably has a better powerband but I was expecting a bit more for the new gen. It is only the first engine so there is room for improvement.

Also the article stated it was more efficient than a twin turbo v6... didn't say which twin turbo v6 or in what way it was more efficient. Then it says look out nissan, cause I am sure nissan is worried about an engine that makes 95hp less than their twin turbo v6.

Navy Blue Metallic

I can feel my LT1 friends already......

I agree seems a little low, but GM has almost always done that.

Wonder how it will work with a Supercharger.

Will this make prices on LS3's drop?!?

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Then it says look out nissan, cause I am sure nissan is worried about an engine that makes 95hp less than their twin turbo v6.
    ...and weighs 40lbs less, and is going in a car that will be about 800lbs lighter than the car their TT V6 sits in. A C7 equipped with this engine SHOULD get significantly better gas mileage while likely matching the current GT-R in performance...and this is the base C7.

It looks like this time around, the enthusiasts-at-heart at GM are focusing on efficiency first, power second. Engines are getting lighter, platforms are getting lighter...all this with the GT-R and Mustangs getting heavier and requiring more and more power to really run. IF they succeed in packaging this new "LT" series of motors in a 3000lb Vette and 3500lb Camaro (which according to all indicators, SHOULD be the end result)...these cars are going to be damn tough to beat. On top of all this, maybe we can finally get back to the LS1-type fuel efficiency, with 28mpg+ ratings.

Imagine a 550hp NA version of this motor in a 3600lb ZL1 with Magna-ride. We could replace the period key on our keyboards with a "ZL1" key.

Navy Blue Metallic

When does Camaro jump to Alpha platform?

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Blakbird24 View Post
    ...and weighs 40lbs less, and is going in a car that will be about 800lbs lighter than the car their TT V6 sits in. A C7 equipped with this engine SHOULD get significantly better gas mileage while likely matching the current GT-R in performance...and this is the base C7.

It looks like this time around, the enthusiasts-at-heart at GM are focusing on efficiency first, power second. Engines are getting lighter, platforms are getting lighter...all this with the GT-R and Mustangs getting heavier and requiring more and more power to really run. IF they succeed in packaging this new "LT" series of motors in a 3000lb Vette and 3500lb Camaro (which according to all indicators, SHOULD be the end result)...these cars are going to be damn tough to beat. On top of all this, maybe we can finally get back to the LS1-type fuel efficiency, with 28mpg+ ratings.

Imagine a 550hp NA version of this motor in a 3600lb ZL1 with Magna-ride. We could replace the period key on our keyboards with a "ZL1" key.
    It says it weighs 40lbs less than the BMW v8 TT not the nissan. The GTR is 3800lbs the c6s were not 3k even, the z06 was just under 3200lbs. The Corvette has always been about 600lbs lighter than the GTR but the GTR still runs faster lap times on many tracks than the z06 and that is with 505hp not 450. Eitherway this isn't about the GTR, I just stated how is it more effecient than nissans TT v6 when it is bigger and makes less power?

Gas mileage is great an all but for guys who are buying 60-100k cars its not number 1 priority.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 10-24-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Never thought i'd say this.... but i want to do an LT1 swap

Navy Blue Metallic

Gas mileage is great an all but for guys who are buying 60-100k cars its not number 1 priority.

It wasn't for me when I bought my T/A.......

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

It wasn't for me when I bought my T/A.......
    Nor was it for me when I bought any of my cars. I dd a silverado and I cannot afford a 80k car but I can afford 100 dollar fill ups weekly.

I like corvettes and modern GM small blocks but this article left me with a few concerns. One with DI, upped comp ratio, better flowing intake mani the gain was only 14hp over the ls3 from the GS. Two why is the article making any comparison between this engine and the GTR or BMW without listing any real fact? Three why was the 5 series v8 even brought up? To show that this LT1 is 40lbs lighter than a v8 with two turbos sitting on top of it? Then to say it is more powerful by 50hp but leave out the fact that the same BMW 4.4liter v8 twin turbo in the m5, m6 and x5M makes 556hp a full 106more hp than the new Gen V 6.2 liter is misleading. BMW limits that engine in the normal 5 series to 400hp because they don't want business men D-bags who can't drive to have 550hp. I guess I am just hating on the article and its meaningless comparisons not the new engine design.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

It says it weighs 40lbs less than the BMW v8 TT not the nissan. The GTR is 3800lbs the c6s were not 3k even, the z06 was just under 3200lbs. The Corvette has always been about 600lbs lighter than the GTR but the GTR still runs faster lap times on many tracks than the z06 and that is with 505hp not 450.
    I think you missed some details in the article. They did not say specifically that it weighs 40lbs less than the Nissan motor...they alluded to it. The truth is that is DOES weigh more than 40lbs less.

The C6 Z06 is 3150lbs, the current GT-R is just south of 3900lbs. The current Z06 is a perfect match for the current GT-R. The C7 is supposed to lose at least 100lbs vs. the C6 generation. Doing the math, that's about a 3050lb Z06 (which will have alot more than 450hp, I was being conservative with hp because we don't have numbers yet). The bottom line here is that the C7 base will likely perform on par with the current Z06...that's what GM does with the Corvette - the C6 runs even with a C5 Z06, and the C5 runs dead even with a C4 LT4 - now I know the Z06 is no longer the top vette but I don't see the base C7 rivaling the ZR1...so i'm taking some liberties here.

Eitherway this isn't about the GTR, I just stated how is it more effecient than nissans TT v6 when it is bigger and makes less power
    Only a small group of enthusiasts defines efficiency as HP vs engine size. The rest of the world defines efficiency as what you get out vs what you put in. What GM is saying here is that this engine will produce more power per unit of fuel consumed. I don't know about you, but to me, that's far more important than weather this is a 6.2L or a 5.5L.
    Last edited by Blakbird24; 10-24-2012 at 02:04 PM.

red
    95 Z28

The GTR is 3800lbs the c6s were not 3k even, the z06 was just under 3200lbs.
    C6 corvettes were absolutely over 3000 pounds. The C6 ZO6 was the lightest C6 out of all of them given the aluminum chassis.

Nor was it for me when I bought any of my cars. I dd a silverado and I cannot afford a 80k car but I can afford 100 dollar fill ups weekly.

I like corvettes and modern GM small blocks but this article left me with a few concerns. One with DI, upped comp ratio, better flowing intake mani the gain was only 14hp over the ls3 from the GS. Two why is the article making any comparison between this engine and the GTR or BMW without listing any real fact? Three why was the 5 series v8 even brought up? To show that this LT1 is 40lbs lighter than a v8 with two turbos sitting on top of it? Then to say it is more powerful by 50hp but leave out the fact that the same BMW 4.4liter v8 twin turbo in the m5, m6 and x5M makes 556hp a full 106more hp than the new Gen V 6.2 liter is misleading. BMW limits that engine in the normal 5 series to 400hp because they don't want business men D-bags who can't drive to have 550hp. I guess I am just hating on the article and its meaningless comparisons not the new engine design.
    BMW upped the power in the TT V8 from 400 to 445 for the 2013 model year. (I dont believe they upped the power in the M division TT v8)

Arctic White, red/gray

5.0 I know the z06 was the lightest, I worded that sentence incorrectly. I was trying to say the C6s were never sub-3000lbs which they would have to be in order to be 800lbs lighter than a GTR.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I think gm did a great job with the engine out of the box. It will be at least 450hp (probably more) and support all the new technologies... Its expected to hit top 20's at least in mpg and throw the c7 from 0-60 in under 4s... Unless the c7 is much lighter than a c6 which idk how it would be, this engine is making a substantial amount more power than the ls3 is... It matches the ls7 torque curve under 4000 rpms which is just nasty in a sub 3400lb car.

There are some areas where I am concerned though.... The di system operates at 2100 lbs of fuel pressure which makes injectors sound expensive. The designers by gm also reportedly tried to make the pcm much harder to crack for the after market. Also if you look at many DI engines today they are notoriously hard and expensive to mod as the tuning the DI system is difficult and expensive. So hopefully this engine wont be like the modern hemis from chrysler where your limited to MINOR bolt ons unless you want to spend big money on a tune

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    There are some areas where I am concerned though.... The di system operates at 2100 lbs of fuel pressure which makes injectors sound expensive. The designers by gm also reportedly tried to make the pcm much harder to crack for the after market. Also if you look at many DI engines today they are notoriously hard and expensive to mod as the tuning the DI system is difficult and expensive. So hopefully this engine wont be like the modern hemis from chrysler where your limited to MINOR bolt ons unless you want to spend big money on a tune

This is what I was wondering as well.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Blakbird24 View Post
    I think you missed some details in the article. They did not say specifically that it weighs 40lbs less than the Nissan motor...they alluded to it. The truth is that is DOES weigh just over 40lbs less.

The C6 Z06 is 3150lbs, the current GT-R is just south of 3900lbs. The current Z06 is a perfect match for the current GT-R. The C7 is supposed to lose at least 100lbs vs. the C6 generation. Doing the math, that's about a 3050lb Z06 (which will have alot more than 450hp, I was being conservative with hp because we don't have numbers yet). The bottom line here is that the C7 base will likely perform on par with the current Z06...that's what GM does with the Corvette - the C6 runs even with a C5 Z06, and the C5 runs dead even with a C4 LT4 - now I know the Z06 is no longer the top vette but I don't see the base C7 rivaling the ZR1...so i'm taking some liberties here.

Only a small group of enthusiasts defines efficiency as HP vs engine size. The rest of the world defines efficiency as what you get out vs what you put in. What GM is saying here is that this engine will produce more power per unit of fuel consumed. I don't know about you, but to me, that's far more important than weather this is a 6.2L or a 5.5L.
    You are making far to many assumptions for this to be a well thought out post. You are assuming the engine weight, you are assuming they are alluding to the point that it is 40lbs lighter than the GTR engine. What the article said was this
    "For all of you pushrod haters out there, the LT1 is 40lbs lighter than BMW’s 4.4L twin-turbo V8 from the 5-series"

You assume the base c7 will be on par performance wise with the c6 z06 even with 55 less hp. The c6 was only 5hp less than the c5 z06 when it came out mind you. You assume the weight of the c7. You assume to know what GM is saying when the article states "efficient", the article only uses the word efficient, it does not say in what way or how it is more efficient than smaller engines.

I am sure this engine will be impressive in some ways but I am not just going to assume all this fan-boi nonsense without real figures.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

You are making far to many assumptions for this to be a well thought out post. You are assuming the engine weight, you are assuming they are alluding to the point that it is 40lbs lighter than the GTR engine.
    Not assuming any of that...interpolation is not assumption. If A=B and B=C, saying A=C is not assuming...it's a fact.

You assume the base c7 will be on par performance wise with the c6 z06 even with 55 less hp. The c6 was only 5hp less than the c5 z06 when it came out mind you. You assume the weight of the c7. You assume to know what GM is saying when the article states "efficient", the article only uses the word efficient, it does not say in what way or how it is more efficient than smaller engines.
    I suppose technically you can call those assumptions. I feel the more accurate term is educated guess. Though I would bet good money on the last one, since HP vs engine size has an indirect relationship with overall efficiency while HP vs fuel consumption has a direct relationship with overall efficiency.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

I wish they would have named it something other than lt1 but anyways cant wait to see a sc version or tt something of that nature.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Alot of cars have come out recently where the manufacturer went all out to lock down the PCM... and every time, the aftermarket figures it out eventually, especially on vehicles that are going to have a huge enthusiast following, and a large aftermarket performance parts base. And DI has been out long enough that tuners will be able to figure it out without too much difficulty

Ray Charles blue

I am not going to quote everyone so I will just list what is wrong with a lot of posts.

1. What old tech? The heads have the valve lay outs changed, direct injection and variable displacement. Or are you speaking of it not being DOHC?
    2. The GS is not the only LS3 Vette that gets the 436 hp. The 436 hp is "rated" on the stupid flipper flapper exhaust. It doesnt do shit and nobody has shown any power gains with it on a dyno and its available on the narrow/normal body AND the GS cars. It also sounds like shit. Saturday Cpop, his brother, Jeff and a few others and myself got to hear a 427 2013 Vert ten feet away with the flaps opening and it sounds worse than a stock 4.6 SOHC GT Mustang.
    3. This engine is most likely heavier than the outgoing LS3.
    4. The C5 ZO6 makes 5 hp MORE than the C6 LS2 that came out in 2005. Its not the other way around.
    5. I dont see it getting much better mileage. The current LS3 gets damn good mileage. I get over 30 on the highway.....Zapper to confirm and thats not driving at 65 mph in 6th on flat ground.
    6. Under the power curve is where this makes the huge power gains. However....you will only be below the power curve in 1 single gear unless you like to race from 2k rpms. This will be a stump puller for passing without really downshifting. But be prepared for a 7-speed manual tranny that is in the works.
    7. If they dont want you to crack the PCM. Look at the 2011+ 6.4 SRT8 Challenger....is that even cracked yet? Rolling codes are not that easy.
    8. The LS2 to LS3 shows more than the 30 crank HP rating. The LS3 is under-rated, expect this engine to be much the same. Willing to bet its closer to 480 rather than 450 hp. All those little things will add up to more than 20 hp.
    9. The base C7 is NOT going to trump the C6 Z06. Less hp and torque, most likely roughly the same weight, wont have the same tire size, doesnt have the same RPM's. It WILL not beat the C6 Z06 in anything other than the fact is its newer.
    10. An LT4 > an LS1? Are you nuts? Perhaps in the 1/4 its close but from there on the LS1 pulls over the LT4 like crazy. Early LT4's were "ringers" and reported to be closer to 375 hp rather than the 330 hp rating. However, MANY more LS1 Vettes stock ran 12s vs. the LT4s.

Thread Information