Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
Like Tree4Likes

Article: Chevrolet Debuts Gen V LT1 V8 Engine for C7 Corvette

This is a discussion on Article: Chevrolet Debuts Gen V LT1 V8 Engine for C7 Corvette within the vBCms Comments forums, part of the category; Its all in the push rods...

  1. #21
    I like turtles GTP231's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corn and Soybean fields
    Posts
    5,339

    Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

    Its all in the push rods

  2. #22
    Super Moderator 5.0THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,688

    red
    95 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post

    2. The GS is not the only LS3 Vette that gets the 436 hp. The 436 hp is "rated" on the stupid flipper flapper exhaust. It doesnt do shit and nobody has shown any power gains with it on a dyno and its available on the narrow/normal body AND the GS cars. It also sounds like shit. Saturday Cpop, his brother, Jeff and a few others and myself got to hear a 427 2013 Vert ten feet away with the flaps opening and it sounds worse than a stock 4.6 SOHC GT Mustang.
    How it sounds is subjective, and alot of people would disagree with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    3. This engine is most likely heavier than the outgoing LS3.
    They're very similar in weight.

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    4. The C5 ZO6 makes 5 hp MORE than the C6 LS2 that came out in 2005. Its not the other way around.
    And the LS2 has alot more left in the factory tune, which is widely known to be horrible.

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post

    5. I dont see it getting much better mileage. The current LS3 gets damn good mileage. I get over 30 on the highway.....Zapper to confirm and thats not driving at 65 mph in 6th on flat ground.
    Pure speculation on your part, and likely not based in fact at all. I'll go with the opinions of the engineers who designed this motor, and likely also had a hand in the LS3.

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    6. Under the power curve is where this makes the huge power gains. However....you will only be below the power curve in 1 single gear unless you like to race from 2k rpms. This will be a stump puller for passing without really downshifting. But be prepared for a 7-speed manual tranny that is in the works.
    That power can be utilized any time you're driving normally, which is most of the time. It will help with fuel economy.

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    7. If they dont want you to crack the PCM. Look at the 2011+ 6.4 SRT8 Challenger....is that even cracked yet? Rolling codes are not that easy.
    And it's been done before. The corvette market will have a far higher demand for aftermarket tuning and parts than the challenger will

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    9. The base C7 is NOT going to trump the C6 Z06. Less hp and torque, most likely roughly the same weight, wont have the same tire size, doesnt have the same RPM's. It WILL not beat the C6 Z06 in anything other than the fact is its newer.
    It might not beat it, but anything close to a ZO6 for a base corvette's performance will be outstanding.

  3. #23
    Senior Member redbird555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    pompano beach florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,008
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    How it sounds is subjective, and alot of people would disagree with you.



    They're very similar in weight.



    And the LS2 has alot more left in the factory tune, which is widely known to be horrible.



    Pure speculation on your part, and likely not based in fact at all. I'll go with the opinions of the engineers who designed this motor, and likely also had a hand in the LS3.



    That power can be utilized any time you're driving normally, which is most of the time. It will help with fuel economy.



    And it's been done before. The corvette market will have a far higher demand for aftermarket tuning and parts than the challenger will



    It might not beat it, but anything close to a ZO6 for a base corvette's performance will be outstanding.
    I have yet to see an ls2 best an ls6 on the dyno a ls2 will do 375 with Bolt ons on a good day an ls6 routinely does better than that... The ls2 just cant over come the bad intake and smaller cam....

    Also the Hemi may not have as big of a following but you can bet the best engineers are working on the tunes just like they would be for a gm car. They still have trouble tuning gm 6l80/90 trans that have been out for 5 plus years... You can't even install a 6lxx tranny without using a gen iv motor as there is no stand alone PCM that can control them, and that is definitely not a result of less demand.... Point being is that if they want to they can make it a pain to tune. Only time will tell if that's true though.
    Last edited by redbird555; 10-25-2012 at 05:07 AM.

  4. #24
    Junior Member Blakbird24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fleetwood, PA
    Posts
    59

    2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    3. This engine is most likely heavier than the outgoing LS3.
    It's not...I don't know the exact weight, but I do know that it is lighter. Mind you, it's not a major difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    5. I dont see it getting much better mileage. The current LS3 gets damn good mileage. I get over 30 on the highway.....Zapper to confirm and thats not driving at 65 mph in 6th on flat ground.
    I can't imagine what would make you think this way. The primary focus with this generation is efficiency. There is already plenty of power in the C6, and the Gen IV motors are already excellent when it comes to power potential. Direct injection is not being added to make strides in performance...it's to make the engine more efficient at the same power output. This is evidenced by the fact that we are not seeing a massive power bump this time around. 450hp will be plenty for a 3000-3100lb base C7...with the weight reduction, a 7-speed transmission, and better torque curve, look for this car to run dead even with the C6 Z06 in a straight line.

    The real story with this generation is going to be the resulting fuel efficiency of the lighter overall package. You should be prepared to see significantly improved fuel mileage out of these engines.

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    9. The base C7 is NOT going to trump the C6 Z06. Less hp and torque, most likely roughly the same weight, wont have the same tire size, doesnt have the same RPM's. It WILL not beat the C6 Z06 in anything other than the fact is its newer.
    The base C7 should MATCH the C6 Z06 in straight line acceleration. Similiar torque, slightly less hp, better transmission (which helps with the tire size and RPM differences also).

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    10. An LT4 > an LS1? Are you nuts? Perhaps in the 1/4 its close but from there on the LS1 pulls over the LT4 like crazy. Early LT4's were "ringers" and reported to be closer to 375 hp rather than the 330 hp rating. However, MANY more LS1 Vettes stock ran 12s vs. the LT4s.
    No one here said the LT4 was better than the LS1. I did say that the C5 matches the C4 LT4 vette in a straight line, and that's absolutely true.

  5. #25
    Senior Member redbird555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    pompano beach florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,008
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

    DI as said is not meant to insanely increase hp. It's meant to run more efficiently. Because the fuel is injected directly into the chamber when needed there is less of a chance of pre-detonation which means you can run higher compression on pump gas or run a lower octane fuel and achieve better efficiency.

    Although I disagree with most comments here about the c7 weight... A c6 z06 weigh in around 3200 lbs before options and a c6 base weighs in at 3300. Now add in the fact that the c7 most likely will not use an aluminum frame like the z06, plus the new interior which will likely add weight I dont see the weight being any different than a base c6 even with the lighter body panels...

    The c7 is also rumored to use the dual clutch ZF 7 speed manual which is a pretty good tranny but it is 250lbs (100lbs more than a t56/tr6060). I'll be curious to see what the ratios are though.

  6. #26
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    NRBM
    2013 Corvette

    LS6 > LS2. Heads are the same, LS6 intake is much better, cam is larger. Both tunes are not great from the factory.

    The LT4 doesnt have near as many cars in the 12s and the top end is better on the LS1....hands down.

    The Z06 will not be matched. The reason the ZR-1 and the Z06 dont have the close ratio tranny is because they dont need it due to the torque. The LT1 engine wont match the ZO6 in the 1/4....no way. Less power, less RPMs and even if its the same weight.....its still going to lose.

    Mileage around town with the increased torque will give less mileage in town. Why you ask? Because more power is made from more fuel and more air. More fuel at the same speed = less MPG's.

    Will it bridge the gap between the current base and the ZO6? Yes, sir.

    However, the fastest LS3 car has hit 11.7 and yes, I have met the guys at the shop where the car comes from here in PA. Both are GTO owners as well.

    I like all this 'if' stuff.

    Do you guys know why the ZO6 posts good 0-60 times? Because it doesnt need to shift from 1st to hit 60 mph. All 6-speed Vettes currently have the same rear end ratio. Given that they stay with that method and change the tranny ratios (more economical rear with the same top gear ratio only the current .5 is 6th and may be 7th.) the ZO6 would still have the edge.

    Either way......its going to be one kick ass car.

  7. #27
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    I would bet that the C7 base won't beat the C6 Z06 at anything IMHO!

    And I hate that they named it the LT1...way to be confusing, couldn't they think of a different name or keep with the LSX platform name (LS10, LS11 )

  8. #28
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    NRBM
    2013 Corvette

    Yeah, not diggin' the LT1 designation.

    They better change the trim levels. 1LT, 2LT, 3LT, 4LT......for the base anyway.

    1LT LT1 sounds retarded. lol

  9. #29
    Junior Member Blakbird24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fleetwood, PA
    Posts
    59

    2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Mileage around town with the increased torque will give less mileage in town. Why you ask? Because more power is made from more fuel and more air. More fuel at the same speed = less MPG's.
    You are forgetting about efficiency. In effect, you are not comparing apples to apples. DI changes the game. Otherwise, you are correct. The reason DI makes a difference is because it promotes a more complete burn inside each cylinder. The bottom line is if you dump the exact same amount of fuel into one complete crank rotation of a 6.2l DI V8 and a 6.2l non-DI V8, you will get noticeably more power out of the DI version. So this time around, instead of using DI to bump up HP, GM is using it to bring down fuel consumption. Less fuel in, same power out, add in a lightened chassis and much more efficient transmission requiring less average power input, and you've got significantly better fuel mileage. And all of this is completely forgetting the instantaneously and complete seamless cylinder deactivation these engines are said to have. I'm not going to speculate on the real-world effect of this new advanced-AFM, but on paper it looks like it could make a big difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Do you guys know why the ZO6 posts good 0-60 times? Because it doesnt need to shift from 1st to hit 60 mph. All 6-speed Vettes currently have the same rear end ratio. Given that they stay with that method and change the tranny ratios (more economical rear with the same top gear ratio only the current .5 is 6th and may be 7th.) the ZO6 would still have the edge.
    Read up on new cars equipped with 7-8-9 speed transmissions and check out what those transmissions did for the performance of those vehicles. I'm getting the feeling you'd be very surprised how much of a difference those units made.
    Last edited by Blakbird24; 10-26-2012 at 04:56 AM.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,221

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Most of the 7 and 8 speed cars are dual clutch trans, that is what boosted performance the fact that it is an entirely new form of transmission. Dual clutch is faster because the extremely fast shifts and the fact that it is basically a manual trans with two clutches that are computer controlled. All benefits of a manual trans without relying on some jag off to do the shifting. Porsche is the only company I know of who uses a manual that has more than 6 speeds, they have a 7 speed I believe.

    Also do you know if the DOD or AFM works with the manual cars now? Or will this still be a auto only option like the g8 and camaro.

  11. #31
    Senior Member redbird555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    pompano beach florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,008
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Most of the 7 and 8 speed cars are dual clutch trans, that is what boosted performance the fact that it is an entirely new form of transmission. Dual clutch is faster because the extremely fast shifts and the fact that it is basically a manual trans with two clutches that are computer controlled. All benefits of a manual trans without relying on some jag off to do the shifting. Porsche is the only company I know of who uses a manual that has more than 6 speeds, they have a 7 speed I believe.

    Also do you know if the DOD or AFM works with the manual cars now? Or will this still be a auto only option like the g8 and camaro.
    yes the porsche uses the zf also, the vettes rumored 7 speed will just be a slightly modified version of the current zf for porsche. and I believe it will be available in manuals although I'm not sure how they'll do it. They may limit the activation depending on how much throttle your applying and in what gear?

  12. #32
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    9,886

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    only way I could see it working is when the car is cruising on hwy speeds for a period of time without shifting.

  13. #33
    Super Moderator 5.0THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,688

    red
    95 Z28

    Lots of crying and whining going on in here about the LTx names.


    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 10-26-2012 at 11:31 AM.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,221

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    only way I could see it working is when the car is cruising on hwy speeds for a period of time without shifting.
    I also wonder what kind of changes they would need to make if they do use a new style twin clutch as their "auto" option. The reason AFM or DOD works well on automaticas is because of the TC and the ability to control the slippage to make it seamless. The Twin clutch trans are essentially a manual trans with one clutch for 1, 3, 5 and 7 (if it is there) and a second clutch for 2, 4 and 6 that are simply computer controlled. So if they don't use it on manuals because of the way clutches connect then how will they get around it with a manual trans with computer controlled clutches? Guess we will have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 10-26-2012 at 11:56 AM.

  15. #35
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Lots of crying and whining going on in here about the LTx names.


    Pretty unoriginal if you ask me Could careless to cry

    PS: Should have used anything but LT or LS to stop the confusion of the masses
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

    Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

    Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

  16. #36
    Super Moderator 5.0THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,688

    red
    95 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Pretty unoriginal if you ask me Could careless to cry

    PS: Should have used anything but LT or LS to stop the confusion of the masses
    Nobody is going to be confused. Most of the people that buy the cars dont even know what the RPO codes are, much less give a shit. And the people who do know the RPO codes for GM engines probably wont have a hard time telling them apart. There was never any confusion between the LT1 of the nineties and the LT1 of the early 70s. And you do know that many of the LS engine codes are repeated from history too. LS1. LS6... etc etc. Nobody's going to be confused when buying aftermarket parts either.

  17. #37
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    9,886

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...


  18. #38
    I like turtles GTP231's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corn and Soybean fields
    Posts
    5,339

    Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

    Looks like they lost a row of head bolts comppared to the Gen IV

  19. #39
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    I understand they have re-used names and it's stupid.

  20. #40
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    NRBM
    2013 Corvette

    I agree....with increased standards they are trying to get the most fuel mileage they can out of power. There is a trade off.

    I understand but the talk of a new tranny is the 7-speed manual, not an automatic. No news yet on a an actual decent paddle shift automatic. If it uses a torque converter......I am not impressed. Sorry.

    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Looks like they lost a row of head bolts comppared to the Gen IV
    Yeah but huge long pushrods for increased duration....brah.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Next Gen Small Block Revisited
    By LSCyaL8R in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 10:30 AM
  2. Next Gen Small Block
    By LSCyaL8R in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 05:57 AM
  3. Chevy Small-Block, Big-Block & Transmission Buildi
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 01:50 PM
  4. Small Block Chevy - The Last Small-Block Chevy Str
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
  5. Small Block Conversion To Big Block
    By Ronald Nora in forum General Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •