Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

What is required...........

This is a discussion on What is required........... within the LS2/LS3/LS4/LSx forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; to convert an LS1 fbody to an LS3? Has anyone done one yet?...

  1. #1
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    What is required...........

    to convert an LS1 fbody to an LS3? Has anyone done one yet?

  2. #2
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    to convert an LS1 fbody to an LS3? Has anyone done one yet?
    Obviously the engine, and then I think you need a new wiring harness if you wanted a true LS3 since it's drive by wire, not a cable TB. But I was told there are kits for the TB to make it cable. Other than that, I don't know, I've never seen anyone do it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Z28boy2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY Rochesterracing.com
    Posts
    1,276
    2000 Camaro B4C

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Obviously the engine, and then I think you need a new wiring harness if you wanted a true LS3 since it's drive by wire, not a cable TB. But I was told there are kits for the TB to make it cable. Other than that, I don't know, I've never seen anyone do it.
    one of my buddys has a TSP 418 LS3 in his TA, took him a long time to figure everything out. wiring harness was a must and even with the new one i know he ran into several problems with it

  4. #4
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Not sure if I would or not, but does the 4l60E bolt up to an LS3?

  5. #5
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Not sure if I would or not, but does the 4l60E bolt up to an LS3?
    Not sure... there is no 4l60e used on any of the LS3 applications from what I'm seeing so far...

  6. #6
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Not sure... there is no 4l60e used on any of the LS3 applications from what I'm seeing so far...
    I just mainly want to know if it would even be an option for me. My tranny is built, but if I would have to swap trannies as well, that would throw another wrinkle into my proposed plan.

  7. #7
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I just mainly want to know if it would even be an option for me. My tranny is built, but if I would have to swap trannies as well, that would throw another wrinkle into my proposed plan.
    That would suck. I've been scowering GM's service info and can't find tranny bolt patterns to even compare. I have however checked around the vast interwebs:

    Here is a GM High Tech write up on the swap... but for an M6
    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...wap/index.html

    According to everything I'm reading... it will be a bolt in. I guess the problem lies with the wiring and computer.

  8. #8
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Y2k you are thinking the same thing i have been. I have been looking at gm's hotcam ls3 to put in my car. Its just not that cheap

  9. #9
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    your tranny should bolt right up.....I don't know this as fact but don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

  10. #10
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Whatcha up to there P?? Very curious here.. Do I see a build thread in your future?
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  11. #11
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    your tranny should bolt right up.....I don't know this as fact but don't see any reason why it wouldn't.
    Good to know


    Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    Y2k you are thinking the same thing i have been. I have been looking at gm's hotcam ls3 to put in my car. Its just not that cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Whatcha up to there P?? Very curious here.. Do I see a build thread in your future?

    I don't see myself doing just a cam. If I am going to do anything to the Camaro, rearend comes first, then a whole new motor, which would hopefully be an LS3. If I get a chance to get a Vette I want, this is all a dead issue though, no more money will be spent on the Camaro. If I can't get a Vette I want, then plan B is to possibly start modding the Camaro again.

  12. #12
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Good to know







    I don't see myself doing just a cam. If I am going to do anything to the Camaro, rearend comes first, then a whole new motor, which would hopefully be an LS3. If I get a chance to get a Vette I want, this is all a dead issue though, no more money will be spent on the Camaro. If I can't get a Vette I want, then plan B is to possibly start modding the Camaro again.
    Cool! Good luck bro.. Love to see that show room beuty become a monster!

  13. #13
    Member ls1wallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saint Peters, MO
    Posts
    251

    Black
    2001 Formula

    it uses the same flexplate but that might not mean anything
    Last edited by ls1wallen; 09-01-2010 at 11:57 AM.

  14. #14
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Cool! Good luck bro.. Love to see that show room beuty become a monster!
    I would be happier with a Vette and the Camaro parked in the same garage

  15. #15
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I would be happier with a Vette and the Camaro parked in the same garage

  16. #16
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    wish i would have seen this sooner P ....the 4l60e will bolt right up to a ls3 etc....i dont know why you would want to tho ..6l80e will fit and only cost you 20ish pounds for a much better trans...anyways

    to change you will need a 24 tooth reluctor wheel or run the stock 58 tooth with a adapter for the ls1 pcm. you will need a knock sensor relocators along with cam sensor relocation...running a cable TB shouldnt be a issue as long as you use a ls1 harness (99+ i believe) as all the hardware and such are there. those are the sensors that come to mind right off hand...i know Texas speed sells a conversion kit with their gen IV engines to work in a f body for 300 bucks...so it cant be that extensive.

    just to let you know i have been researching the ls3 for a little over a year ...i originally wanted a ls3 427 mated to a 6l80e but now i am thinking grabbing a ls3 out of a complete engine out of a camaro or even a l99 and removing AFM... it wouldnt be that expensive...4-5k for a complete engine with low miles ....... i like your thinking P...i think when the aftermarket catches up with the rectangluar port heads and cam selection...(which should be very soon) the ls3 will become a monster and leave all other engines gen III wise in the dust

  17. #17
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    wish i would have seen this sooner P ....the 4l60e will bolt right up to a ls3 etc....i dont know why you would want to tho ..6l80e will fit and only cost you 20ish pounds for a much better trans...anyways

    to change you will need a 24 tooth reluctor wheel or run the stock 58 tooth with a adapter for the ls1 pcm. you will need a knock sensor relocators along with cam sensor relocation...running a cable TB shouldnt be a issue as long as you use a ls1 harness (99+ i believe) as all the hardware and such are there. those are the sensors that come to mind right off hand...i know Texas speed sells a conversion kit with their gen IV engines to work in a f body for 300 bucks...so it cant be that extensive.

    just to let you know i have been researching the ls3 for a little over a year ...i originally wanted a ls3 427 mated to a 6l80e but now i am thinking grabbing a ls3 out of a complete engine out of a camaro or even a l99 and removing AFM... it wouldnt be that expensive...4-5k for a complete engine with low miles ....... i like your thinking P...i think when the aftermarket catches up with the rectangluar port heads and cam selection...(which should be very soon) the ls3 will become a monster and leave all other engines gen III wise in the dust
    According to Frost it will not fit in our cars easily and the tunel would need hammered to run the cables.. Also it's a very heavy tranny. Along with the harness needing changed and so forth.. Prestons 4l60e tranny is built already.. Frost mentioned also the th400 would be a more solid choice if just looking for more strength.. I just had this very discussion with him a couple of days ago when I mentioned the same as you did in another members thread..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-02-2010 at 06:12 AM.

  18. #18
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Here ya go Shady.. Check out post #9..4l60e swap to turbo 400

  19. #19
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    According to Frost it will not fit in our cars easily and the tunel would need hammered to run the cables.. Also it's a very heavy tranny. Along with the harness needing changed and so forth.. Prestons 4l60e tranny is built already.. Frost mentioned also the th400 would be a more solid choice if just looking for more strength.. I just had this very discussion with him a couple of days ago when I mentioned the same as you did in another members thread..
    oh i never said easy i like it for the fact it is a 6 speed...and the ratios are pretty legit ..i know the 6l80e is shorter than the 4l60e ..and the bulfk of the 6l80e is in the top..so hammering would be modding...also it requires a 58 tooth reluctor wheel to function properly..in which case it would be wise to get the harness...or get the whole combo from speartech

  20. #20
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Could you see P taking a BFH to his baby?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. so why are we all required to..
    By jiveass in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 06-30-2011, 08:40 PM
  2. what is required?
    By jiveass in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 08:24 PM
  3. whats required
    By everett in forum Drag Racing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 04:51 PM
  4. What is required for SLP lt install
    By 98LS1Z28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 05:44 PM
  5. are new lifters required?
    By silverws6 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 05:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •