black
    02 ss camaro

06' Ls2 #6 rod bearings?

Anybody else on here seen rod bearing failures on these motors?.I've seen 8 myself. They all were on 2006 ss trailblazers and GTO's and are always on the #6 connecting rod. What is the deal?

Red
    2005 GTO

Yes, #6 Rod Bearing! 2005 GTO, 37,000 miles. The car has not been abused, has been well cared for. Very frustrating. This car represents the extent of our automobile budget, I don't have the money I've been quoted to repair it. I am still in shock that a modern G.M. V8 would suffer this type of damage this early and this well maintained. Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to repair it, I just don't have the $5000 to repair or $7500 to rebuild I've been quoted by the dealer and another mechanic

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by cjharris View Post
    Yes, #6 Rod Bearing! 2005 GTO, 37,000 miles. The car has not been abused, has been well cared for. Very frustrating. This car represents the extent of our automobile budget, I don't have the money I've been quoted to repair it. I am still in shock that a modern G.M. V8 would suffer this type of damage this early and this well maintained. Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to repair it, I just don't have the $5000 to repair or $7500 to rebuild I've been quoted by the dealer and another mechanic
    wholly crap thats alot for just 1 bearing. Even if it came apart and totally destroyed the bottom end. I don't have any info on the #6 bearing but thats nucking futs. If it did not come apart you could get by fairly cheap if you can do the work. I do have a set of .01 under bearings brand new that I could make a deal on.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by cjharris View Post
    You could buy several used or one new replacement engine for that kind of coin.

Sometimes not having the money can be a good thing as your forced to do it yourself.

British racing green
    01 vx hsv gts c4b

At lest the motor can be saved all of our 300kw Calloway motors launch the cams from 50k grenading the whole motor I was lucky as it lasted till 130k and didnt take the motor with it so I can reuse block and bolt ins bar the heads

White
    1998 Trans Am

Yep... # 6 rod on my original 98 motor... And I know of a lot more of the same failures. Mine pulled or stretched the rod cap bolt. ARP's in the new build with H-beam rods !

Torrid Red
    2005 GTO

Loud LS2

Ok now Im worried! Just purchased an 05 6speed with 29000 miles. Seems to me the motor is just loud. All the guys I have talked to say that a LS2 motor is just loud and its nothing to worry about! Seems to me when she is cold i can hear a faint knocking in the bottom end between 2 and 3000 rpms. What should I do? How could I have it checked?

White
    1998 Trans Am

The pistons have short skirts, causing slight piston slap, until warmed up... It is probably normal... I just listened to a Buddy's 6.0 in his truck, with a slight low rpm knock, until it's warmed up. If a bearing does go, you will lose oil pressure.

Torrid Red
    2005 GTO

Thanks for the info. Its funnny, its loud cold and even driving it for a while, but when you get on her @ss she sounds sweet and all bad noises go away! I guess if it were something really not right it would be loud through the RPM range. I am taking her to the "Stealership" shortly and have them change the oil and check her over real good! You best believe if they can find something to make a dollar they will! Wish me luck, I will keep you guys posted. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, where can I get the GMM shifter, the stock shifter sucks!

There should be a lawsuit for this failure !
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

black
    camaro ss 1999

hey guys new to this site is it hard to ge 480 hp out of a lq9

Thread Information