pyro71985

~Twin Rear Mount~

Has anyone tried to do a rear mount twin set up? I figured If you had true duals with each pipe going into its own turbo with them set up just like the STS ones but side by side, would it work?

To be honest im looking for a setup that can AWESOME number while keeping the A/C.

Black
    95 Z28

I've been curious about that for a while, too. I've got true duals already. Not sure if I'd be willing to have two turbos just sitting under my car, where someone could easily get to them... but I'd be willing to entertain the thought, at least.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

STS has one for a Corvette but not the F-body cars......not sure how you'd pull that one off.......would have to get oil back there for the turbos, the piping up to the motor.....would be awful tight......I built my car off the STS concept but while I was doing it I looked at a possible twin turbo setup that would run right off the manifolds.....there is room there but you'd have to fab up the piping but I think that can be done.....actually considering buying a Firebird to try it out on.......

pyro71985
    has anyone ever done it? right off the manifolds? See my biggest thing is I would like to keep my A/C.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

hasn't been done as far as I know.......

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

you can run a twin setup with a smaller turbo piggybacked to a bigger. Most guys will do that setup in front mount situations and just piggyback a twin. The only front mount twin setup for our cars does not exist anymore and if you find one used, jump on it, it's the Incon Twin Turbo kit. The plumbling is the biggest thing. As far as a rear mount twin, talk to STS cause I'm sure they thought about it and didn't do it for a reason.

Silver
    2002 Z28

there are two reasons that the sts twin idea doesn't work; well, more than two I'm sure... First of all, and dominantly, backpressure. To be able to build the turbos up enough to spool with any sort of power (keeping in mind what it takes to get it back up front) just can't be done with a mostly stock motor. Theoretically if you have a highly modded motor with upped compresion and bored out to hell, you could maybe pull it off. secondly, well, hell, I forget what number 2 was, but I'll just leave it at this: 2 sts turbos + pipe fabrication = est. >8k... Heads/Cam + conventional turbo = est. 5k. Then you can go use your left over 3k to race a TT STS Camaro and double up on saved cash.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

pyro71985
    there is a guy named Jammer over at ls1tech who sucessfully did it. He just sold his set up for $3500

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    there are two reasons that the sts twin idea doesn't work; well, more than two I'm sure... First of all, and dominantly, backpressure. To be able to build the turbos up enough to spool with any sort of power (keeping in mind what it takes to get it back up front) just can't be done with a mostly stock motor. Theoretically if you have a highly modded motor with upped compresion and bored out to hell, you could maybe pull it off. secondly, well, hell, I forget what number 2 was, but I'll just leave it at this: 2 sts turbos + pipe fabrication = est. >8k... Heads/Cam + conventional turbo = est. 5k. Then you can go use your left over 3k to race a TT STS Camaro and double up on saved cash.
    Dont know what you're talking about here......you dont want to up the compression on a motor you plan to put a turbo on.......You would have plenty of backpressure to spool the turbos.....the problem you'd have is piping the thing back up to the front.......

Anybody know why Incon no longer exists? What material were their manifolds made from and what was the largest turbo able to be fitted to them?
    If it doesn't have a turbo or a V8, it doesn't belong on the road.

Hey guys look it came back from the shop! I still need a bigger wing though...

white
    00 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ricer Cooker View Post
    Anybody know why Incon no longer exists? What material were their manifolds made from and what was the largest turbo able to be fitted to them?
    Theres a thread on ls1tech right now covering this very topic... good read.

pewter and black
    01 TA and 01 Lightning

you're gonna put somethin that expensive in the elements of the road instead of protected under the hood....How much water gets on the underside of your car? And, what do you think a hot turbo is gonna do when you splash through a puddle....clearance is in the micrometers. Picture this, Casing cools and contracts while the blades of the turbo are still hot. GREAT IDEA!!

imho,
    the rear mounts are worthless.....

white
    00 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1vsSVT View Post
    imho,
    the rear mounts are worthless.....
    Food for thought.... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1493314 rear mounted vette in the 7's not going one way or the other with the rears are better than fronts arguement but they are fast.

Hard to argue with a 7 second rear mount system.

Thread Information