Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Will a factory GM 3.8supercharger fit a camaro?

Hi all,
    Will a factory Pontiac 3.8 supercharger fit a camaro with a 3.8? if so what all will need done to support it?
    thanks!

Black
    99 Formula

That's a good one. Definatly will bolt to the engine butt not sure it will clear the cowl. TTA turbo set up probably would work better and give more power.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lsgunner28 View Post
    Hi all,
    Will a factory Pontiac 3.8 supercharger fit a camaro with a 3.8? if so what all will need done to support it?
    thanks!
    Yes but you'll need to do some mods to get it under the cowl as stated. You'll need, injectors, fuel pressure reg for boost, fuel pump, and every boost componet off the donor motor, (if you stay stock) tune ect. What year of car is the blower off of? Newer 3800's have a slightly different deck height than the older ones. I can't remember what years but I believe it was sometime durring the mid-late 90's. I'm still researching on it myself cuz I have the same type of project planned for mine. This will be your best bet that is research. I'm not sure if you'll be able to use your pcm tho. I have a TT project that I can't seen to get done, but as soon as that project is finished I'll be moving on to the Camaro's 3800II. The plan is a ground up restore with a rebuild and a blower. I'm using a Mega SquirtII stand alone for the TT project. If the results are good I may do the same with the blower project. I think I can do far better than the roughly 40hp that a factory blower adds to the 3800. 240hp is'nt quite enough for me even tho I don't drag race.
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-06-2010 at 09:34 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

are you sure smittro?

from my understanding the blower fits "backwards".

they were put on sideways mounted motors, and with the way it lines u in a camaro, the pulley is sticking off the back side of the motor

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

pulley will face toward the front,but the throttle body will be under the camaros cowl.the supercharger is a eaton m90 which is belt driven and the belt is not behind the block.i have seen a gm prototype 93 trans am with a 3800 series II supercharged engine in a Pontiac magazine.(it was crushed by gm in the late 90's) so it is possible but you might spend a lot of money to make it work properly. if the op was looking for a simple bolt on supercharger this is definately not it!

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

ok thanks for the info!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    are you sure smittro?

from my understanding the blower fits "backwards".

they were put on sideways mounted motors, and with the way it lines u in a camaro, the pulley is sticking off the back side of the motor
    You can get a "u" shaped TB pipe that will bring the TB around to a more forward possition. But as I stated b4, the cowl will need to be modded and or the hood as well.

No v6 puller car has the blower backwards, least non that I've ever seen, it will mount directly above the lower intake mani.. Here's the one I'll be using for my next project..

I'll have to mod the cowl for sure and possibly need a sunoco or some similar type of hood in that configuration..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-07-2010 at 02:07 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You may also need the donor cam or an after market cam with a profile that will support boost, aswell as maybe the rockers, push rods, and valve springs too.. The biggest issue you may have is detonation, IF you plan on running the N/A pistons..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-07-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

You can do the top swap which is very common for wide bodies that are NA. Check out club gp, gpona.com or grandprixforums.net for more info.

There is a lot involved in it actually and IMO is not worth the hassle for the gains....if you are going to do all of that then go turbo for better gains. Here is a link on what you need to do(this is written up for GP's so please take into consideration the LIM, room under the hood, etc that will not be listed in this thread but this does give a lot more detail) I have a GTP and love the blower, but if you want better gains, go turbo.
    http://www.grandprixforums.net/f17/t...lots-7763.html

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire View Post
    There is a lot involved in it actually and IMO is not worth the hassle for the gains....if you are going to do all of that then go turbo for better gains. Here is a link on what you need to do(this is written up for GP's so please take into consideration the LIM, room under the hood, etc that will not be listed in this thread but this does give a lot more detail) I have a GTP and love the blower, but if you want better gains, go turbo.
    http://www.grandprixforums.net/f17/t...lots-7763.html
    I've considered the turbo route myself but I'm not looking to build a drag car out of it. If I can hit 300-350hp ish on a blower that's fine with me. I'd just like a little more punch for the weight..

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

op,it would be cheaper (by a hell of a lot) to just install a mild (50 h.p.) nitrous setup.more power and considerably less money.

silver
    97 e36 m3

have you thought about finding some donor part's of the old buick grand national? it's a turbo 3800 serie's that share's a lot with the 3800 in the f body's...
    as far as using that super charger.... it would be easyer to make a plate that move's the TB back around to the front DS... where it is now you'll need to make a hole for the TB + the intake tube cause that TB is pretty long and the super charger is almost flush with the back of engine block...

the TB is very long coming off the back of the block i'm not sure if there is enough room to make with out going all the way into the dash...
    ][
    \ /
    \/

or you could try and make a tube that will move the TB back to the front.

eather way you with the supercharger it seem's like a lot of work for a little gain...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by kaine806 View Post
    have you thought about finding some donor part's of the old buick grand national? it's a turbo 3800 serie's that share's a lot with the 3800 in the f body's...
    as far as using that super charger.... it would be easyer to make a plate that move's the TB back around to the front DS... where it is now you'll need to make a hole for the TB + the intake tube cause that TB is pretty long and the super charger is almost flush with the back of engine block...

Click for full size

the TB is very long coming off the back of the block i'm not sure if there is enough room to make with out going all the way into the dash...
    ][
    \ /
    \/
    Click for full size

or you could try and make a tube that will move the TB back to the front.
    Click for full size

eather way you with the supercharger it seem's like a lot of work for a little gain...
    A lot would have to be changed to used GN parts on a 3800II. They are not the same exactly. The 2 engines have 2 different deck heights. The internals from the old motors also is'nt as strong as the internals of a 3800II with powder forged (lol) rods and a better crank.. The diagram is something I mentioned earlier, and would likely need to be a tight "U" bend custom built to fit under our cowl..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-11-2010 at 08:49 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You could also build a 60* v6 to produce more power N/A than a stock SC set up on an all iron 90* 3.8... The 3500, 3.6, and 3.9 are all 60* motors which are nearly direct replacements of the iron 3.8/3800II-III. You could prolly hit 240hp with a set of 3500 heads and 3.1 push rods, and headers, tune on a 3.4L for a lot less time money and work..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-11-2010 at 08:46 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Something like this could get ya there with the SC cut and custom fabbed to mount the TB to the back of the SC..

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

ok thanks, im scrapping the idea.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lsgunner28 View Post
    ok thanks, im scrapping the idea.
    Not tryin' to discourage you from your project tho. I'm gonna do a custom blower set up myself. Yeah lots of work but I'm the "V6 Doc" (labeled by friends @ the site) it's kinda what I do lol.. But my reasons are because I'll already have a total one off TT built before ths SC project gets going (least that's been the plan) best of both worlds imho. An SC on my v6 f-bod is for me going to be far easier to do with a 3800II that has a strong after market. My other engine I'm trying to get finished has none..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-11-2010 at 09:44 AM.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

check this out. same power increase as a L67 blower for a fraction of the cost and labor.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Comp-Cams/ZEX-...13713/10002/-1
    Last edited by 02transamce; 02-12-2010 at 02:42 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    check this out. same power increase as a L67 blower for a faction of the cost and labor.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Comp-Cams/ZEX-...13713/10002/-1

Thread Information