Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What should I do???

This is a discussion on What should I do??? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS I would have to say the wife needs to go if she is telling you that ...

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I would have to say the wife needs to go if she is telling you that you have to sell the T/A
    If I kept it and bought a Vette we would have a Vette, Trans Am, GTO and a suburban. Just not practical for 2 people to have 4 vehicles so I kinda see where she is coming from. (GTO is her car so it's off limits she loves it.)

Ill cross that bridge when I come to it. Damn, I havent had time to get on here in a while, I forgot how much deployments suck.

red
    2000 c5

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    The vette is a lighter better handling platform. It's a completely different car.There is no sense in comparing them to an F body. Ill keep my trans am no matter what, it's paid for and I will never get out of it what I put into it. Y2K is not dissing the F body; it truly is just getting old. Dont get me wrong, I love my WS6 and it makes me smile every time I start it up, but you can definitely tell it's an aging platform. The newer Vette is improved; sure a modified Fbod can smoke one, but you throw the same money into a Vette and see what happens with a lighter car with the same power that handles better.
    The F body is better suited for a drag car.They are cheaper to build and less work to get them to hook.With the Vette you are limited to only a couple of ways of building the trans and rear to handle big power and it's big cash.It's almost worth it though when you pull up to a light and the guy next to you gives you the thumbs up.Almost.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If I kept it and bought a Vette we would have a Vette, Trans Am, GTO and a suburban. Just not practical for 2 people to have 4 vehicles so I kinda see where she is coming from. (GTO is her car so it's off limits she loves it.)

Ill cross that bridge when I come to it. Damn, I havent had time to get on here in a while, I forgot how much deployments suck.
    I understand. I just sold my 3rd vehicle so I only own 2 now and I am single.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

lol Yea thats def not plausible, and she is completely correct on that part, but I know what you mean how the deployments where are you at exactly? And imo I would go with building the shit outta the trans am lol.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    lol Yea thats def not plausible, and she is completely correct on that part, but I know what you mean how the deployments where are you at exactly? And imo I would go with building the shit outta the trans am lol.
    Right now Im going to a school then I dunno what the hell they are gonna do with me, I got cancelled off the mission. Apparently they recruited too many people thinking that some would drop out of the training and only one person did. (The training is pretty rough.)

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Well, I decided I'm gonna keep my car for now. Ill get a vette later on when the C7 comes out and the C6's are cheaper. Now the question is, turbo or supercharger? Im gonna keep my stoc block for now, and get a safe tune on whatever I get. Ill rebuild the motor when it blows up. Im leaning more and more towards gtting a turbo kit cause it seems like you can make more power with them. I am new to FI, so anyone who has gone this route feel free to chime in!

red
    2000 c5

I am a turbo guy.I have twins on my C5.Turbos don't make any more power then a blower until you get over the 1000RWHP mark.A turbo car is a lot more expensive to build and there are not a lot of choices for a Vette.Some vendors offer a blower completely installed for under $7000 which you could not touch with any turbo system unless you bought it used and installed it yourself.A good quality turbo system for a Vette is $9000+ not including installation and tune.

If I could start from the beginning I would be looking for something like this.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...-17-500-a.html

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A turbo will always make more power than a Supercharger. Supercharger runs off of the engine with a pulley, so it robs HP to make HP. There is no way of getting around that. A turbo runs solely off the exhaust gases.

If you decide on turbo (usually more tuning involved, more difficult to install, and more expensive), go with a front mount set-up. I personally would go with two smaller units (twin turbo) as opposed to one single larger head unit.

Either way, with a stock block you won't be utilizing the most you can get with either set-up, but you'll still have one hell of a street machine.

I like Procharger (centrifugal) because it builds boost as the RPMs increase. Therefore, at cruising RPM you don't lose out on MPG. Also, for most people, you don't want a shit ton of torque in the lower RPM range because you aren't going to be able to get any traction at lower speeds with street tires or even some street DR's.

red
    2000 c5

Wow!That's some great info.I don't think any of us new that.
    Let me rephrase my statement.Parasitic loss of a blower doesn't really mean a lot until you reach around the 1000RWHP mark.If i was building a street car that the OP is interested in then that loss would not mean a lot compared to the cost of a turbo system over a blower.The blower is so much cheaper that you could make more power with less money compared to a turbo.If you go to the track you will see lots of blower and turbo cars in the low 8s and slower classes.When you get into the faster classes then the turbos really start to pull ahead.Comparing turbos to blowers and making a blanket statement that the blowers will always make more power doesn't really mean much for the type of car the OP is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    A turbo will always make more power than a Supercharger. Supercharger runs off of the engine with a pulley, so it robs HP to make HP. There is no way of getting around that. A turbo runs solely off the exhaust gases.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I didn't read your statement as I posted that from my Blackberry. It's nice to see how much you've contributed here in the 3 years you've been a member though.

6th post and it's mockery and being a smartass...well done!

red
    2000 c5

If your post was not a response to mine then I apologize.A smartass?Ya.Sometimes.I belong to about 8 forums and I have helped out hundreds of other people on other forums.Have a nice day.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

I might buy a used kit, but Im kinda scared to since I wouldnt know what to look for if something was wrong with it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You may want to find out what the cost would be to get a head unit you are desiring "rebuilt" assuming something was wrong with it or it went out shortly after buying it used.

This would give you a good indication of buying "new" vs "used" is a deal or not.

Usually, if anything at all, the bearings go bad.

White
    '10 ZR1

If you're that concerned about buying used, and the chance the 'kit' isn't complete from the prior owner, just buy a new set up. You'll be in it for approximately 7K, as 396-375 said. For what power range it sounds like you're looking for, a supercharger is the way to go since it's cheaper than what a turbo would end up being.

If you aren't going to forge the engine - go ProCharger, and run 7-8 psi and call it a day.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    If you're that concerned about buying used, and the chance the 'kit' isn't complete from the prior owner, just buy a new set up. You'll be in it for approximately 7K, as 396-375 said. For what power range it sounds like you're looking for, a supercharger is the way to go since it's cheaper than what a turbo would end up being.

If you aren't going to forge the engine - go ProCharger, and run 7-8 psi and call it a day.
    What he said... Do a tuner D1SC kit with fuel pump and injectors. If you don;t have them get headers w/o cats also. They will help out bigtime!

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    What he said... Do a tuner D1SC kit with fuel pump and injectors. If you don;t have them get headers w/o cats also. They will help out bigtime!
    No emissions here, I got L/Ts with no cats and magnaflo exhaust. Only thing I need to do is get the rear end done first. The transmission will be on it's way to Tick on monday for their rebuild/beefing it up. Oh, and forgot to ask. My cam, is a comp custom grind I think 232/236 595/595 112 LSA. Is that a decent FI cam? I mean Im not gonna change it out so I hope it is. Also the heads have been milled but not ported. They are 243 vette heads. Thanks for all the help guys.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 12-02-2010 at 04:38 PM.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

No emissions here, I got L/Ts with no cats and magnaflo exhaust. Only thing I need to do is get the rear end done first. The transmission will be on it's way to Tick on monday for their rebuild/beefing it up. Oh, and forgot to ask. My cam, is a comp custom grind I think 232/236 595/595 112 LSA. Is that a decent FI cam? I mean Im not gonna change it out so I hope it is. Also the heads have been milled but not ported. They are 243 vette heads. Thanks for all the help guys.
    Well with that cam you should be ok. It is not an ideal FI cam for say but it will work. You may have to pulley down a bit more to make 8 psi since your cam may bleed boost off more than a higher LSA cam would. The only thing to watch out for though is the milled heads. Now your compression ratio of your engine is higher than stock depending on how much they were milled. Do you know how much they were milled or how many cc's they are? Also it will depend on your head gasket thickness as well. Any combination of those things will make your compression ratio higher than normal. If you take 243's from a 66cc to 63cc you gain about .5 to your compression ratio. The next thing I would also buy would be a meth kit. With the temps in Florida it is well worth it trust me.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Well with that cam you should be ok. It is not an ideal FI cam for say but it will work. You may have to pulley down a bit more to make 8 psi since your cam may bleed boost off more than a higher LSA cam would. The only thing to watch out for though is the milled heads. Now your compression ratio of your engine is higher than stock depending on how much they were milled. Do you know how much they were milled or how many cc's they are? Also it will depend on your head gasket thickness as well. Any combination of those things will make your compression ratio higher than normal. If you take 243's from a 66cc to 63cc you gain about .5 to your compression ratio. The next thing I would also buy would be a meth kit. With the temps in Florida it is well worth it trust me.
    I got the copper Head Gaskets, the heads were only milled very slightly I think .030. I had a machinist do it, I was told it's basically free power. I know the compression ratio is slightly higher than stock.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I got the copper Head Gaskets, the heads were only milled very slightly I think .030. I had a machinist do it, I was told it's basically free power. I know the compression ratio is slightly higher than stock.
    Copper head gaskets is pretty broad. Do you know the thickness they were? .52 or .40? Also now you are around 11.1:1 compression ratio with your engine depending on the head gasket size. If they were smaller than .52 then it is higher. If they were bigger than it is lower. The rule of thumb for every .006"or.007" milled you lose 1cc. .030"/.0065"= 4.62 64.45-4.62= 59.83cc That is only if the chambers were not re-worked. Either way it's fairly high and that combined with the temps in Florida are going to be trouble for you and whoever tunes it unless you add a meth kit. I highly advise you to do that when adding a S/C.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Copper head gaskets is pretty broad. Do you know the thickness they were? .52 or .40? Also now you are around 11.1:1 compression ratio with your engine depending on the head gasket size. If they were smaller than .52 then it is higher. If they were bigger than it is lower. The rule of thumb for every .006"or.007" milled you lose 1cc. .030"/.0065"= 4.62 64.45-4.62= 59.83cc That is only if the chambers were not re-worked. Either way it's fairly high and that combined with the temps in Florida are going to be trouble for you and whoever tunes it unless you add a meth kit. I highly advise you to do that when adding a S/C.
    Good stuff to know. Thanks for the help man. I dont know how thick the head gaskets are, I'll find out from the guy I ordered them through. I'll definitely get a Meth kit. Jeremy Formato does all of my tuning which I definitely trust him. He tuned my last two cars and said he would have no trouble tuning the car after I get the S/C.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information