what kind of fuel pump w/ supercharger??

This is a discussion on what kind of fuel pump w/ supercharger?? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What kind of internal fuel pump should I use with a supercharged 383? My stock fuel pump bit the dust ...

lt4ever

what kind of fuel pump w/ supercharger??

What kind of internal fuel pump should I use with a supercharged 383? My stock fuel pump bit the dust on my current engine set up (heads/ cam, etc) and I'm planning on upgrading the stock fuel pump now to Walbro's 255L/hr high pressure internal fuel pump. However, Walbro's technical support people are telling me that they don't endorse using this pump (even though it's made for that car) b/c of the in-tank fuel pump/ sending unit module has a bucket surrounding the unit and the high suction of this fuel pump can cause fuel starvation by sucking the bucket dry. Has anyone ever heard of this actually happening? The tech people also said it's very easy to break the module when seperating the stock fuel pump from the sending unit... and for that reason as well, they don't endorse using their fuel pump. Thoughts???

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Yes order the Ractronix Plug & Play unit from one of the sponsors. They will take care of the fuel issue.

I run one.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

lt4ever
    Ok, well yet another dumb design by GM engineers... why the hell would you attach a rigid metal fill tube directly to the tank thereby requiring you to move the tank all over the place in order to get the fill tube to get past the upper fenderwall brace. I didn't have the nerve to cut up my $2,000 stainless steel exhaust system, but as it was I had to cut the weld seam holding the muffler so that I could angle the muffler and exhaust pipes down... but the muffler isn't completely removed. So in my frustration, I cut the fill tube off with a hack-saw. Then the damn tank came right out. I'll just put a piece of 2" I.D gas tank fill tube rubber hose and clamp the two pieces together after I get the tank back in the car. (sorry... just had to vent over my frustration!!!)

Black

What year car? Mine flexes.

lt4ever
    I looked at the Racetronix fuel pump... looks like it's just the pump and mounting hardware and wiring harness. The description of the fuel pump assembly says it includes the booster pump plug-n-play option. What's that!? Is that for running an external in-line fuel pump before the fuel filter and connecting the wiring harness of that external pump to this wiring harness?? But if that's the case- then it must be the wiring harness that runs from the top of the fuel sending unit... where it comes out of the tank. Is that the harness they're talking about??

lt4ever
    Mines a '96 Firebird... solid metal tube welded directly to the tank...

lt4ever
    From your avatar I see you have a newer Camaro (1998 or newer) probably a different fuel tank design when the changed engines from the LT1 to the LS1. Consider yourself lucky!!

Quote Originally Posted by lt4ever
    I looked at the Racetronix fuel pump... looks like it's just the pump and mounting hardware and wiring harness. The description of the fuel pump assembly says it includes the booster pump plug-n-play option. What's that!? Is that for running an external in-line fuel pump before the fuel filter and connecting the wiring harness of that external pump to this wiring harness?? But if that's the case- then it must be the wiring harness that runs from the top of the fuel sending unit... where it comes out of the tank. Is that the harness they're talking about??
    Click for full size

lt4ever
    Holy crap... looks like mission control! So are these wire harness's suppose to boost the internal (Walbro) fuel pump capacity or is this boosting an external fuel pump? At what engine HP/ torque requires this booster cable?

Black
    2001 Z-28

I recently installed a Walbro. My only complaint is the audible whine. Sounds like the ignition noise you could get broadcast by your radio on old cars.

Black

My old Walbro did that. I can't hear my Racetronix.

lt4ever
    I went with the "high pressure" Walbro fuel pump. It was cheaper than buying all that wire harness and stuff that I really didn't need. I just needed the fuel pump and for $125.00, I couldn't pass up that deal. Seems funny that GM makes you buy the whole fuel pump/ sending unit assembly module for about $250+. But with a little elbow grease and some careful prying, you can replace just the fuel pump with an aftermarket, high performance fuel pump for way less. Usually when I upgrade shit, it cost double what the OEM part would cost. OBTW- I can't hear the whine over my exhaust! :-)>

Needing or not needing the 'extras' is always relative to your fuel requirements which are not necessarily the same as the next person. Having a bit more is cheap insurance.

McGuivering your fuel module to slip in a generic pump is always taking a step backwards not matter which way you slice it.

lt4ever
    uhhh... "generic"!? whatchoo talkin' about Wilus!? It's the SAME fuel pump that's included in the Racetronix kit. It's made by Walbro and just distributed thru any number of it's vendors, like Granetelli, or Racetronix... but the fact of the matter remains it's still the high pressure Walbro fuel pump.

Black
    99 SS

have you ever thought of running a dual fuel pump set up so it wont get starved??

Black

uhhh... "generic"!? whatchoo talkin' about Wilus!? It's the SAME fuel pump that's included in the Racetronix kit. It's made by Walbro and just distributed thru any number of it's vendors, like Granetelli, or Racetronix... but the fact of the matter remains it's still the high pressure Walbro fuel pump.
    Actually according to Racetronix, its not the same one.

Look at our ad again...

Thread Information