Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

vortech supercharger

This is a discussion on vortech supercharger within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; how are the vortech superchargers? anyone have it?...

  1. #1
    Member 2-bowties&abird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    lancaster,va.
    Age
    38
    Posts
    505

    cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

    vortech supercharger

    how are the vortech superchargers? anyone have it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Procharger set up looks much nicer imo.

  3. #3
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    how are the vortech superchargers? anyone have it?
    The Vortech supercharger is air/water cooled and the Prochargers are air/air.

    The air/water is most popular with drag racers as you can pack it with ice and it will give a cooler charge. Air/air is more common since you will not be able to "ice" it as some of these cars are street cars. You can adapt the air/water to the Procharger though.

    The Vortech has to be tapped into the oil pan for a supply of oil. This is not always good as the hot oil from the engine heats the supercharger which inturn heats the charged air. The Procharger's oil is self contained and operates at a lower temp..

    This is all that I have gathered reading up on it and I am not entirely sure if it is all correct.

  4. #4
    Member 2-bowties&abird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    lancaster,va.
    Age
    38
    Posts
    505

    cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    The Vortech supercharger is air/water cooled and the Prochargers are air/air.

    The air/water is most popular with drag racers as you can pack it with ice and it will give a cooler charge. Air/air is more common since you will not be able to "ice" it as some of these cars are street cars. You can adapt the air/water to the Procharger though.

    The Vortech has to be tapped into the oil pan for a supply of oil. This is not always good as the hot oil from the engine heats the supercharger which inturn heats the charged air. The Procharger's oil is self contained and operates at a lower temp..

    This is all that I have gathered reading up on it and I am not entirely sure if it is all correct.
    do you have one or drove anything with one in it? i know it's gotta do good coming out of the hole. i bet they pull hard.

  5. #5
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    do you have one or drove anything with one in it? i know it's gotta do good coming out of the hole. i bet they pull hard.
    I have driven the Procharged Mustangs at my work and they are badass to drive even though they are Fords!!

    They both had the P-1SC complete kits.

    I will have the P-1SC on my Camaro very soon.

  6. #6
    Member 2-bowties&abird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    lancaster,va.
    Age
    38
    Posts
    505

    cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I have driven the Procharged Mustangs at my work and they are badass to drive even though they are Fords!!

    They both had the P-1SC complete kits.

    I will have the P-1SC on my Camaro very soon.
    i think that will be my next big project maybe next year, considering i'm going to hear about this cam header swap i just had done from my wife from now untill that time.

  7. #7
    Member Tman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    469

    Black
    2000 WS6

    I have a Vortech V9 Gtrim with aftercooler. I love it.

  8. #8
    Member 2-bowties&abird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    lancaster,va.
    Age
    38
    Posts
    505

    cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

    Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    I have a Vortech V9 Gtrim with aftercooler. I love it.
    Click for full size
    was there any clearance issues with the hood?

  9. #9
    Member Tman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    469

    Black
    2000 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    was there any clearance issues with the hood?

    None what so ever. Folks with Camaro's are the ones that have to do some minor hood fabrication.

  10. #10
    Junior Member Totsabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    1

    white 383 Vortech SC
    94 Z-28

    To me the selling point of the Vortech was having engine oil pumped into it. I think oil under pressure that is heated and filtered is an advantage. The aftercooler takes care of any heat the charge may pickup from the oil.

    I have a T Trim on my Z and have had several other Vortechs on trucks and daily drivers. They are extremely dependable and they get the job done.

    I installed a temp gauge in the aftercooler system, with the readout right next to the boost gauge. Works great.

    I don't have any experience with the procharger but I passed on them in the first place, just because the self contained oil system didn't seem like a reliable way to go for me. I'm living in a state with cold weather and I worried about running with cold oil in the supercharger.

    It may not be anything to worry about, but in an engine, cold oil is hard on parts. Just my .02. Good luck with whatever blower you end up with.....



    .

  11. #11
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    montezuma,IA
    Posts
    17

    House of Kolors Blue
    1989 Ford Mustang(Drag)

    I have had both vortech and prochargers on my mustangs. Never had an issue with either one. Both worked great. I like the procharger set up a little better as it is air to air cooled allowing me to run more boost with out detination.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SATX
    Posts
    847

    Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    I have a Vortech V9 Gtrim with aftercooler. I love it.
    Click for full size

    just a question man, how do you get into your spark plugs, and check your engine oil? did you have to modify the cowl?

  13. #13
    Member Tman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    469

    Black
    2000 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by hurraquio View Post
    just a question man, how do you get into your spark plugs, and check your engine oil? did you have to modify the cowl?
    As for checking the oil, I still check it at the same place. Nothing is in the way.
    The plugs, I only have remove about 2 components off the supercharger, from there I am able to change the driver and passengers (number 8 from the bottom)

    There is no hood modification for firebirds, only camaro's

  14. #14
    Drag racing is a disease! RacerBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Posts
    184

    Maroon
    2000 Z28

    I bought the non-aftercooled version of the Vortech. I choose Vortech because it sounded like a more comprehensive kit. I did the install myself. Not for the novice, but do-able. My car is stock other than a couple of free mods and a cat back system. I have a best et of 12.67 on street tires.

    As for the hood clearance, mine wouldn't fit untill I prosuaded it with a BFH (hence the pretty new hood from SLP).

  15. #15
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    montezuma,IA
    Posts
    17

    House of Kolors Blue
    1989 Ford Mustang(Drag)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    I have a Vortech V9 Gtrim with aftercooler. I love it.
    Click for full size
    Nice job on the install, looks real nice!

  16. #16
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,748

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    I prefer the Procharger. Still have access to the top of the engine. No tapping of the oil pan. And no cutting of the hood.

    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

    666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

    Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

    Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

  17. #17
    Junior Member RedMetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Arnaudville, LA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    78

    Bright Rally Red
    01 Camaro SS M6

    I have to agree with Ed on his selling points of view for Camaro's. Checking the plugs is a pain in the rear no matter what so what is a few more minutes LOL, but the cutting of the hood that the Vortech kit requires is a turn-off for me. And I don't want to go spend the $$$ for a new hood.

    Buy the way I run N20, so take my 2cents with a grain of salt LOL
    F14, FLP LT's, Hooker-Catback, Ram Dual Street, 42# injectors, Granatelli 255lph intank, N20, 3.90's, Eibach Pro's

  18. #18
    Member blackls1ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    kittanning,pa
    Age
    41
    Posts
    516

    black
    2000 ws.6 m6

    Quote Originally Posted by RacerBob View Post
    I bought the non-aftercooled version of the Vortech. I choose Vortech because it sounded like a more comprehensive kit. I did the install myself. Not for the novice, but do-able. My car is stock other than a couple of free mods and a cat back system. I have a best et of 12.67 on street tires.

    As for the hood clearance, mine wouldn't fit untill I prosuaded it with a BFH (hence the pretty new hood from SLP).
    hey im lookin for some good action wanna meet up?across the line is all.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Newton,Iowa
    Posts
    1

    Blue
    1970 Chevelle

    Does anyone know how much HP total a LS1 has with a vortech 9 ?
    Last edited by J. Hetzler; 07-28-2011 at 07:43 PM.

  20. #20
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    I'm not sure about the Vortech, but I made 500rwhp with 8psi with my Procharger. Stock heads and cam. I'm running a FMIC and meth kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Vortech supercharger
    By claytonr in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 09:07 AM
  2. Anyone use a Vortech V1 Supercharger on 02 TA?
    By Patsy57 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 07:25 AM
  3. F/S Vortech supercharger
    By Iwanaturbo in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 09:06 AM
  4. LT1 Vortech Supercharger Kit
    By formula_power in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 01:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •