Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

used forced induction?

do you guys think it is ever a good idea to ever buy a used supercharger or turbos or is it a bad idea as far as not knowing what its been through?

Black
    2002 WS6

No, but I would only buy a used turbo from someone I trusted. I would not be worried about buying a used blower after good inspection of it.

Black
    2000 WS6

I would not buy it used, as once you buy it, it's yours. What guarantee comes with it ? are all parts that should be included present down to the final washer ?

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

yeah thats what i was thinking also if you are buying a used FI system you had better bet that it has been beat to shit. Because no one buys a FI setup to just granny it around they got it to have some fun.

Black
    2002 WS6

True, but if the price is right, it all depends on the price.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

yeah for me the price and shape its in would be a huge factor. Also i would buy the kit minus the supercharger for alot cheeper and then buy a new supercharger for that kit probably alot cheeper than buying a new complete kit.

Red w/stripes
    02 Camaro SS 35th Anniv.

I wouldn't totally disregard buing a used supercharger or turbo just be up front with your expectations on what the unit should do. Personally I sold my D1SC I had on my car for about 4 months because I wanted more hp.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    do you guys think it is ever a good idea to ever buy a used supercharger or turbos or is it a bad idea as far as not knowing what its been through?
    Eh I've seen it done. A while ago there was a guy on some other forum whom took like 3-4 of the same used units and built (1) good one.. I don't recommend it for a novice. By the time one could round up all they needed to fix/rebuild they prolly could have saved up and just got a brand new setup..imho if you still want used I'd do as someone else suggested and make sure they're a reputable expert, not someone whom may have just cleaned the unit up a bit.. Just my .02..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

There are alot of great deals on used FI applications. I see no reason to not look into it, priced accordingly. If its a complete, low mileage kit, all there is to worry about is the headunit or turbo. Piping and name brand turbo manifolds/headers usually stay together nicely.

A Procharger headunit is notorious for being very reliable for tens of thousands of miles usually.

A name brand turbo can be ran for a long time with proper oiling and drainage systems.

Alot of time, buying a used FI kit you are buying from someone who has much respect and reputation on the major internet boards. Usually they sell good parts, as its not some Ebay seller who can just disappear. Be smart and research the seller. Look through there previous post from the months before regarding the kit and prepare yourself with information on the seller.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I would definitely buy a used Procharger again. There is only so much that could be wrong with it. Just send the blower to Procharger and they will look it over for you. The only down fall to buying a used kit is that some of the parts are usually going to be missing but they are all readily available from Procharger or a dealer.

SOM
    2001 SOM WS6 408

I bought mine used I am at 600+ rwhp

pewter
    2002 ws6 trans am

i bought a used vortech with aftercooler for 2800 last year.polished it installed it and luckily it was very complete and has been very reliable. you can get some good deals just try to look over the kit as good as possible.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by hijinx View Post
    i bought a used vortech with aftercooler for 2800 last year.polished it installed it and luckily it was very complete and has been very reliable. you can get some good deals just try to look over the kit as good as possible.
    Click for full size
    WOW! $2,800 is a steal!

pewter
    2002 ws6 trans am

Thanks, like I said,I did some polishing and cleaning it up but it was complete and in good shape and beat the heck out of 6 grand for a new one.

White
    '10 ZR1

I have bought a few used FI systems, and have had good luck so far

white
    2002 vette

Sure why not. I've done it three times and have always had good luck. I guess that I could have been burned but when getting one at half price I'm willing to take that chance.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I bought my Procharger setup used for 3k. Replaced 1 seal myself and the car puts down 600rwhp. Good purchase for me.

black
    98 camaro z28

I got my d1sc setup for 2700 minus the fuel system the only bad part is missing bolts and brackets besides that everything came out fine. I would buy a used supercharger again.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by josepy121380 View Post
    I bought my Procharger setup used for 3k. Replaced 1 seal myself and the car puts down 600rwhp. Good purchase for me.

I bought my kit in 2003 from this site for $3500 and it included 42 lb injectors, boost gauge with 3 gauge pod for the A-Pillar, and a fuel pump.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by DARK98Z View Post
    I got my d1sc setup for 2700 minus the fuel system the only bad part is missing bolts and brackets besides that everything came out fine. I would buy a used supercharger again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    I bought my kit in 2003 from this site for $3500 and it included 42 lb injectors, boost gauge with 3 gauge pod for the A-Pillar, and a fuel pump.
    Both of you scored nicely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information