Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Twin Turbo-Shootin the bull

This is a discussion on Twin Turbo-Shootin the bull within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 Don't forget about your drivetrain you need a tranny drive shaft and rear end also don't ...

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    Don't forget about your drivetrain you need a tranny drive shaft and rear end also don't forget about sub frame connectors!!
    sub-frame connectors and long-tube headers should be the first two mods long before adding FI.

Impounded
    Yeah. All of that will be added long before the TT setup

I guess what im asking is...internal upgrades?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

valve springs, push rods, connecting rods, crankshaft, and pistons.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Yeah. All of that will be added long before the TT setup

I guess what im asking is...internal upgrades?
    Depending on your goals for boost and how deep your wallet is, you can look at that the two ways I would:

1. Run 7-8 psi on the stock internals(pump gas) and make 450+ish to the wheel. Forge it once it finally blows.

2. Pony up and spend the money on the forged bottom end - and then you'll still run 7-8 psi on pump gas(unless you change compression), with a little more durability/longevity.

To me, as long as you have a good tune and you aren't detonating, I'd go with #1.

I had an '01 with a ProCharger running 8 psi on the stock bottom end with no issues.

If you go forged, you would have the option of changing your compression ratio.

More info needed

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If he forges the bottom end, even at stock compression the car can easily run high boost... 14-15psi anyway. I made this post a few threads down:

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    You can run compression and boost with a stock bottom end; the tuning just has to be good. If you even think about trying to push the timing or mixture though, you can flush it in a heartbeat.

I had a local with a set of AFRs milled to 59-60cc (SCR over 11:1), g5x3 on a 114LSA, big ole F1c Procharger and with a the biggest blower pulley available, it still made 9psi... on a stock bottom end. The car made 643rwhp at 67-6800 RPMs where I lifted, but it was still headed straight up. It had a six-speed trans then. It was beat on like this for a year + before moving to a built 408 ETP 245s... and 10.6:1 SCR. The blower now makes 13.5psi and over 700rwhp through a hefty dyno-unfriendly 4l80. All of these numbers are pump gas and Alkycontrol methanol injection.

I have another local customer with a stock cube forged LS1 (well 347"), AFR 205s and a mid 230s duration cam and D1sc Procharger make 763rwhp at about 16psi, roughly 10:1 SCR. It is also pump gas and Alkycontrol meth kit.

The Vette on the front of my website has a 100% factory stock LS6; never had valve covers off of it, 10.5:1 SCR, long tube headers, D1sc Procharger, about 13psi... 675rwhp. It also runs Alkycontrol meth. Combined with the driver, this is a record car. A 9-second totally stock engine, six-speed Vette with no weight reduction. It trapped 140.9 MPH over the winter. Many internet racers have said this is a ticking time bomb. It's been ticking for 4-5 years now and literally hundreds of dragstrip passes. The day he ran the pass below, I think he got in right at 20 runs at that track rental alone. That was a LOT of 10.0 passes!

Click for full size

This link goes to a 44 MB video (right click and save-as) of a twin turbo C5 with a stock bottom end doing his first shakedown runs (no boost launches until the end) but was actually done during a race day. On the last pass where he launches in boost, he sees he's way out on the 10.0 race car in the other lane so he brakes but still runs under. You can see the lower MPH. This is heads (maybe 0.2 under stock SCR), cam, 9psi from TTi X twin turbo setup and again, Alkycontrol methanol... 140 MPH on his stock bottom end. http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/vid/randy.wmv

White
    '10 ZR1

If he forges the bottom end, even at stock compression the car can easily run high boost... 14-15psi anyway. I made this post a few threads down:
    Wow - I honestly didn't believe you could go past 8 or 9 psi on pump gas - forged or not.

I certainly don't believe that to be the 'norm', but it is cool -

Thank you for the post/info!

Edit: I just noticed the addition of 'alky'. That is the biggest reason why, I believe this can be done with pump gas. The forged internals is needed for the higher horsepower due to higher boost that is only allowed with the 'alky' injection.
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 02-22-2011 at 04:26 PM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have tuned a handful of D1SC cars with no meth, stock compression, forged at 14psi with FMIC's. I don't like it, but then, I don't like ANY FI without Alkycontrol.

Impounded
    tell me more about this Alkycontrol please

White
    '10 ZR1

tell me more about this Alkycontrol please
    It lowers the IAT enough that it allows you to run more boost - similar to what an intercooler does for FI systems. Without an intercooler, obviously, you can't run as much boost. Same goes for comparing an intercooled system to an intercooled system with methanol injection. (alkycontrol)

It's basically just a seperate system that injects methanol as needed.

Impounded
    ok so...lets just say i plan to go with the TT set up
    (Besides the obvious suspension/tranny upgrades/tires/fuel injectors)
    what compression should i am for?
    what other things should i look for as i build my car?

my car is getting an LS6 long block this summer. it will be a DD for the most part with track time.
    ill be running a LS6 intake. Ported stock TB. and Kooks 1-7/8 LTS ORY & SLP LMII for the time being

*note that it will be 5 or 6 years before i plan to go FI. i just wanted to star getting my foot in the door

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    It lowers the IAT enough that it allows you to run more boost - similar to what an intercooler does for FI systems. Without an intercooler, obviously, you can't run as much boost. Same goes for comparing an intercooled system to an intercooled system with methanol injection. (alkycontrol)

It's basically just a seperate system that injects methanol as needed.
    That's right; it has a large impact on IATs. It also has additional octane value. Alkycontrol's system is a fully adjustable progressive system. It uses real GM 2 or 3 bar MAP sensors to 'see' boost. It comes on at some level of boost that you set it for, and then it ramps up the spray as boost goes up. It has a low level indicator light and it lasts a long time per tank, because it only comes on under 2-3psi and greater boost levels.

Impounded
    So you have to refill this?

White
    '10 ZR1

ok so...lets just say i plan to go with the TT set up
    (Besides the obvious suspension/tranny upgrades/tires/fuel injectors)
    what compression should i am for?
    what other things should i look for as i build my car?

my car is getting an LS6 long block this summer. it will be a DD for the most part with track time.
    ill be running a LS6 intake. Ported stock TB. and Kooks 1-7/8 LTS ORY & SLP LMII for the time being

*note that it will be 5 or 6 years before i plan to go FI. i just wanted to star getting my foot in the door
    If you're going with a turbo setup of any kind - don't buy those headers, you won't need them, unless you want to enjoy the benefits of headers until you get your turbo system. Turbo systems require exhaust manifolds.

If it was me, I wouldn't go over 11:1 to 11.5:1 compression if it's a DD, and I'd definitely add the alky kit. The nice thing with a turbo system, is that if you would happen to run out of alky, you could adjust your boost lower until you could get around to getting it refilled. I'd stay away from WOT until then too.
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 02-23-2011 at 03:45 AM.

White
    '10 ZR1

That's right; it has a large impact on IATs. It also has additional octane value. Alkycontrol's system is a fully adjustable progressive system. It uses real GM 2 or 3 bar MAP sensors to 'see' boost. It comes on at some level of boost that you set it for, and then it ramps up the spray as boost goes up. It has a low level indicator light and it lasts a long time per tank, because it only comes on under 2-3psi and greater boost levels.
    Absolutely

White
    '10 ZR1

So you have to refill this?
    yep, that is correct

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Frost - been in contact with Nate. Looks like you'll be tuning my car in May

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

turbos dont use belts,therefore dont consume part of the power your trying to make and use,pump gas and alky injection,only way to drive on the streets.
    I ran the stock ls2 for over 3 years on 93 octain and NO alky with 15 PSI,lots of other have as well,easy to find ...google is your freind...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If you're going with a turbo setup of any kind - don't buy those headers, you won't need them, unless you want to enjoy the benefits of headers until you get your turbo system. Turbo systems require exhaust manifolds.

If it was me, I wouldn't go over 11:1 to 11.5:1 compression if it's a DD, and I'd definitely add the alky kit. The nice thing with a turbo system, is that if you would happen to run out of alky, you could adjust your boost lower until you could get around to getting it refilled. I'd stay away from WOT until then too.
    I disagree.. Many people run headers with turbos..

Myself included due to the fact that there are no headers made for my engine..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I disagree.. Many people run headers with turbos..

Myself included due to the fact that there are no headers made for my engine..
    So - you'd buy a set of long tube headers for an LS1(in this case) in the mean time, and then once you're ready to go with a turbo, you'd cut the headers and modify them to a turbo system?

I wouldn't. So, we disagree.

Edit: Or, are you saying you'd go with headers designed for an LS1 instead, and after you had already purchased the long tube headers that you'd now be taking off?
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 02-25-2011 at 02:20 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

So - you'd buy a set of long tube headers for an LS1(in this case) in the mean time, and then once you're ready to go with a turbo, you'd cut the headers and modify them to a turbo system?

I wouldn't. So, we disagree.

Edit: Or, are you saying you'd go with headers designed for an LS1 instead, and after you had already purchased the long tube headers that you'd now be taking off?
    Depends.. Cheap headers, yup I'd cut them up..

I don't think I'd would to a good top shelf set. Prolly sell those type..

Most of it does'nt apply tho because I make all my exhaust pieces in house..

I just stating that many people run headers with turbos, and turbines do not require manifolds..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information