Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    1998 Camaro SS

turbos destroy engines

i was reading a couple articles online and they were saying that turbos have a much higher risk than superchargers of blowing the engine due to the amount of heat they make. it also states things like turbos tear up your transmission because of the sudden increase of power. this was an article i read after googling superchargers vs turbos so it might just be a very biased aricl but i was wondering if this was true and if anyone here knows alot about superchargers vs. turbos. my car is a daily driver so i want the safest thing. any info is greatly apprciated. Thanks.........john

SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

+1 i was gonna order a vortech but then i seen the APS TT kit uhg!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    i was reading a couple articles online and they were saying that turbos have a much higher risk than superchargers of blowing the engine due to the amount of heat they make. it also states things like turbos tear up your transmission because of the sudden increase of power. this was an article i read after googling superchargers vs turbos so it might just be a very biased aricl but i was wondering if this was true and if anyone here knows alot about superchargers vs. turbos. my car is a daily driver so i want the safest thing. any info is greatly apprciated. Thanks.........john
    who ever wrote that article probably also wrote the script for the fast and furious...

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Dont believe that

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

They both can do damage if not setup and used right.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    Um...no...turbos are not a sudden impact of power...they gradually increase in power, cause they run off the exhaust, it takes a second or two for the turbos to spool up and then for the air to reach the intake manifold. If you want a sudden impact of power...get a Nitrous Kit

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Forced induction no matter what kind adds stress,wear,and tear unless your boost addiction is under controll and the car is built and tuned properly never had a turbo befor but I would like to drive a turboed v8 befor I make a final judgement but I know first hand that a supercharged v8 is alot of fun almost lost my licence at 18 and have been paying through the nose on insurance ever since

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

also with a turbo you can use a boost controller... so imo they are a bit safer than super chargers... go kill who ever wrote that article... then again... thier stupidity is thier own punishment... lets just hope it isn't contagious...

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

wow that i can't believe...............Well kid, you got some learnin to do, but your in the right place......where were these articles from?

Fire
    2002 SS

Once you go lean you can never go back!
    If you want to blow it up for cheap, try NOS!

red
    1999 Firehawk

You need to read a book by Corky Bell on turbocharging, it explains and puts to rest all the myths on turbocharging. He has been engineering and building turbo systems for years. He explains everything there is to know about how they work using science and math.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

There have been lots and lots of factory turbos and factories have to worry about warranty right?
    If you are reasonable and not greedy you can run 100,000 plus miles on turbo cars. Some of my dsms had several hundred thousand miles..original engine,original turbo.
    Most people kill engines from greed,running too much boost, no support mods, cheaping out on gas..and yeah any power adder will strain the fourth gen pretty weak rear ends and fairly weak autos. But there are upgrades for these weak links but like everything in life they cost money. How fast do you want to go..

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 99TAWS6 View Post
    There have been lots and lots of factory turbos and factories have to worry about warranty right?
    If you are reasonable and not greedy you can run 100,000 plus miles on turbo cars. Some of my dsms had several hundred thousand miles..original engine,original turbo.
    Most people kill engines from greed,running too much boost, no support mods, cheaping out on gas..and yeah any power adder will strain the fourth gen pretty weak rear ends and fairly weak autos. But there are upgrades for these weak links but like everything in life they cost money. How fast do you want to go..
    Very well put!

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    Once you go lean you can never go back!
    If you want to blow it up for cheap, try NOS!
    I hate when people call it NOS, they been watching 2 much fast and the furios. NOS is a brand of nitrous for the last time.

Kinda like when they hit the button and all of a sudden everthing gets blurry. LOL

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by 00WS6BlueMetallic View Post
    I hate when people call it NOS, they been watching 2 much fast and the furios. NOS is a brand of nitrous for the last time.

Kinda like when they hit the button and all of a sudden everthing gets blurry. LOL
    and they can barely break 60... lol

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 00WS6BlueMetallic View Post

I love the blurry effect, but yet it still takes 2 minutes of viewing to get through a 1/4 mile

2Fast2Furious FTMFW!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Everything doesn't get all blurry outside when you guys use nitrous? Maybe I just got a really good kit! HAHA!

As with most substantial performance mods, there is a delicate balance between what you can squeeze out of the stock foundation without significantly compromising durability. Nitrous, turbos and superchargers are all great examples of ways to increase the power your car makes. Once you decide to go down that road, your wallet and your ability to keep your goals within the limits of the parts will ultimately have a LOT to do with how "safe" a setup really is.

Personally, I have a relatively "safe" N2O setup. In ten minutes, I can add an additional 150 rwhp to my existing 100 rwhp shot, however the tradeoff is pretty clear (greatly increased risk of failure -- engine, rear end, tranny, etc.).
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I love the blurry effect, but yet it still takes 2 minutes of viewing to get through a 1/4 mile

2Fast2Furious FTMFW!!!

and shifting up gears 18 times on a 5 speed is incredible...

Sidewayz Hat Police LS1TransHed's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

I wrote the script for The Fast and The Furious. And Bambi 2

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    and shifting up gears 18 times on a 5 speed is incredible...
    faarrtt, faaaarrrtt, faaarrttt, faaaarrtttt, faaaaarrrtttt, faaaaaartttt, faaaaarrrrtttt, faaaaarrtrt, NOS! NOS! NOS! NOS! BLURRY BLURRY BLURRY...faaarrrrttt, faaarrrtttt, faaaarrrttttt

Part of the script I stole the script from LS1TransHeld...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information