Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Turbos and cams

This is a discussion on Turbos and cams within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have gt7 and its great no lope but didn't want lope. I have it bumped to around 590 lift ...

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

I have gt7 and its great no lope but didn't want lope. I have it bumped to around 590 lift in the 408 but used 1.8 rockers they are fine with the cam seen the cam card and they were mentioned right on it. Some cams don't like bigger rockers.

Here is comparison of ling to stock cams.the last two are the grinds they usually have used in all their fi cars. The gt7 is still used a lot in their turbos and think the gt3 is more their super builds. But both would be good choices.If you don't want lope.These are normal split duration with more on the exhaust. Lift won't hurt anthing and most turbo cams have 115 and higher lsa typically. But you find guys running some different stuff. Turbos will make big power with almost any cam. It would take a dyno to see how much more you would make with the different cams . They need to do a good article on this subjet and test out some theories. We have guys that like reverse split, normal split,no split. We have guys that like lower lsa higher lsa.

All I know is doubt will need any more power with my current combo. Only thing will need is traction.Go too high on lift and you will be doing valve springs much more often. one reason I stayed a bit under the 600 lift point. Past 600 plan on spring changes maybe every 20,000 miles. I wanted to be able to go 50000 or so thats about 10 years of driving for me.

red
    95 z28 convertible

Yes I wish some one would do some testing on a dyno with a bunch of differnt cams on a turbo motor so we can find out the truth about what works the best...

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by crazycat View Post
    Yes I wish some one would do some testing on a dyno with a bunch of differnt cams on a turbo motor so we can find out the truth about what works the best...
    Yeah, but who would be willing to risk a motor?
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Umm risk a motor..why would they risk a motor? I have seen many different cams on fi builds,stock ,reverse split, normal split,no split,,different lifts and different durations and lsas.

Dyno testing would be great idea.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Turbos do not like a lot of lift.....you can find plenty of dyno runs out there where they have been tested. each motor will respond a little differently but for the most part you'll be in the same ball park. my cam is really just a little over stock specs and performs quite well

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Dyno Testing = Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by 99TAWS6 View Post
    Umm risk a motor..why would they risk a motor? I have seen many different cams on fi builds,stock ,reverse split, normal split,no split,,different lifts and different durations and lsas.

Dyno testing would be great idea.
    Well, I think I should take back part of what I said, its my fault for not being more specific. You're right, you probably won't downright blow a motor with a different cam, but there are some things in a cam that just aren't good for a motor. You could risk damaging some parts of the motor depending on what cam you went with. I guess if you just didn't go too extreme then you'd be right, and it shouldn't hurt the motor.

But as for what you specified, Quote: "the reverse split, normal split,no split,,different lifts and different durations and lsas." You couldn't just run the method of anything goes for this, certain characteristics of these would not be good for a motor.

Turbos don't like high lift. Its my understanding that excessive lift in a turbo motor won't yield the gains comparatively seen in an N/A motor and can also place stress on the valves with large boost pressures. This is harmful for a motor.

Turbos also don't like overlap. If you had a cam with a lot of overlap in a turbocharged motor, the turbo would create a larger amount of backpressure on the exhaust side and the burned gasses in the chamber could exit out the intake since the pressure is lower than that of the exhaust. This would be a bad thing.

As for you're idea, I'm not bashing it, personally I think its great. I just don't want to be the guy to do it.

Lets all admit, we WANT to see results from extreme cams. The whole point in of these tests in my view is to see just how far we can push the envelope in the name of performance before risking the structural integrity of our own motors, all at someone else's risk and expense, totally awesome.
    Last edited by RedVertTA; 11-11-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Question for all you turbo guys. I already have a comp custom grind 228/236,588 intake/578 exhaust on a 114 with ported heads and all the supporting goodies. Would this be an ok cam for a turbo.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by rbarnes View Post
    Turbos do not like overlap.

Overlap is good for N/A because you can use the vacuum created by
    out flowing exhaust to help pull more air in.

But in a turbo set-up the turbo creates a certain amount of
    exhaust pressure in the system. At higher boost pressures or with
    too small of a turbo, back pressure can get high enough to actually
    stop air from coming in. This is called reversion.

Turbo cams can have high lift and duration, but they need a high lobe separation.
    LSA of 115-117 not uncommon on tubro cams, where N/A cam might be 110-112.

Stock cams actually usually make nice turbo cams with their high LSA's
    +110% i am running the ls2 stock cam..
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by crazycat View Post
    this all has been done super chevy magizine has done lots of them im sure others have as well,trust me when I say FI cams do work otherwise why would places like comp cam grind so many.makes perfect sence valve lap is not a good thing when you want to keep pressure in the cylinders in any FI setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information