Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo's?

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Turbo's?

Just curious what a person gains from Twin Turbos over a bigger single turbo? kind of a newb to all this FI stuff.... so dumb it down a shade...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

from what ive heard, a big single turbo makes more power than TT

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

It just depends on the setup and space availability. Twins are good for quick spooling because you can use a small turbo to feed a larger turbo to help with spooling.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by thecorrectformula View Post
    It just depends on the setup and space availability. Twins are good for quick spooling because you can use a small turbo to feed a larger turbo to help with spooling.

but for bigger peak power gains a big single should do better (i think)

white
    00 WS6 Trans Am

Big twins make great power. A single big turbo will make great power also, but takes time to spool it, unless you've got cubic inches. I.E. A s-88 will spoolfaster on a 408 than it will on a 347. A t-67 will work good on a mild 347 but will choke on a 408. same with twin GT-28's or GT-30's on a 347. They Will spool quick on a 347 but will choke on a 408. When it comes down to it though, what are your power goals. Twins and a single will work for most, depending on your power goals. Biggest thing is your budget. using a small turbo to spool a big turbo is used more in diesel engines, as it just gets to complicated to do on an ls1 when you can do the same thing most of the time cheaper using a single or a double, and they are putting out way more PSI than a normal ls1 will like.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

eh there are too many factors when it comes into play, it is all about how much air those turbos pump into the engine and when in the rpm range they do that, so if they make and push the same amount of cfm into the engine they should make the same peak power, only that the twins will see full boost sooner thus making it a stronger power curve.......and that is what really matters not peak hp. Screw peaky hp it is all about the curve.
    There is a guy that built a sequential setup up for his camaro, and it works.......he is on one of our sister forums that ends with tech.
    Last edited by zero_proto; 08-30-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: engrish

White
    VX SS 400 Twin Turbo

twin turbos like has been said in this thread spool faster therefore giving the edge over the single larger turbo, ad TT's to a 400 stroker and your really giving the single turbo guys something to think about. My engine has been built to handle twin 500hp turbos. I have 380's at the moment(gotta learn to crawl before ya walk) check out my thread for dyno sheet
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61159

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Twins for street and single for the strip. That's what I always hear and read.

teal

twins would be alot more streetable than a massive single setup.
    are you rolling in an a4 or m6????
    i would go twins but that is just my preference.
    There are some affordable ones out there now.

White
    VX SS 400 Twin Turbo

there will always be split comments but as for single better for strip? check this TT out

and all these TT
    Last edited by T_Kiwi; 08-31-2007 at 01:34 AM.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Twins for street and single for the strip. That's what I always hear and read.

teal

it doesn't matter whether or not you use twins or a single setup for the strip but it makes a difference on the street for a daily driver.

White
    VX SS 400 Twin Turbo

the only difference it makes is how quick you see smoke from the tyres

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

you can make an argument for which is better and talk about it all day long, but in the end, it depends on the set up and what your using the car for.... like most have said. the only thing you need to know is the bigger the turbo, the longer its gonna take to spool and build boost therefore for a street car, it'll be pointless cause your not gonna spend alot of time abot 5k rpms. for a street set up, smaller twins would be ideal cause they would give you better power under the curve which is what you want. there is virtually no spool time (turbo lag) so its an instant power increase and holds it to redline.
    check out www.airpowersystems.com for an awsome TT kit for street use....nicest kit on the market for f-bodys to date cause it retains all factory accessories and is just a quality kit. cant beat it for the price of $5495 shipped to your door and its capable of 900rwhp on a nicely built motor.
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, thanks for all the replies guys I feel like I'm an expert on the matter now:P My car is an m6 by the way and it will be about a 50/50 car for track and street, so I think it will be more what my pocket book can afford however that is still a far 3 years away atleast I have to do all the little mods first.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, thanks for all the replies guys I feel like I'm an expert on the matter now:P My car is an m6 by the way and it will be about a 50/50 car for track and street, so I think it will be more what my pocket book can afford however that is still a far 3 years away atleast I have to do all the little mods first.
    I know your pain. I'm aiming at doing a twin kit, but I'm doing everything else first. I'm almost done with suspension mods and will be doing a rear next then a stronger trans and clutch. I'm planning on doing a low compression forged build on a LSX block and topping it off with the TT setup. It's going to take awhile and cost some, but it'll be fun and reliable when done! I was going to put Kooks headers on, but now I'm just going to do some used headers seeing I won't be keeping them for a real long time. Only problem is I have two other cars that are requiring me to spend my T/A mod fund on them. I'm thinking of finding another source of income to help build the mod fund up faster.

white
    00 WS6 Trans Am

either way you go, single or twin, if you want it to be fast and reliable, your going to spend alot. I understand "spend alot" is a subjective term, but trust me... I'm on my 4th or 5th hardcore round of mods... after the twin turbos were installed on a forged engine and the car was running just fine on twins.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by anarchy99 View Post
    either way you go, single or twin, if you want it to be fast and reliable, your going to spend alot. I understand "spend alot" is a subjective term, but trust me... I'm on my 4th or 5th hardcore round of mods... after the twin turbos were installed on a forged engine and the car was running just fine on twins.
    What kind of numbers are you putting down?

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

heres another REAL newb question, but I haven't even seen a turbo setup before so I don't really know. How does all the piping work like where are the turbo's situated? in the Y-pipe or are they much closer to the engine? and where do your air intakes start? quarter panels? I really don't have a clue... and how does the piping work back up to the motor do they go along side your headers? if so doesn't that cause the air to get really hot?

Dumb it down and set my mind straight guys I really appreciate the help.

White
    VX SS 400 Twin Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information