Thread: turbos

torrid red
    2004 GTO

turbos

I was looking at starting to do some work on my gto but im not sure which way to go with it. i have a 2004 gto that is completely stock as of now. i was wondering if it would be better to turbo or use nitrous. this is just a street car but i would like a good boost in horsepower.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

I prefer not to have to fill a bottle. Unless you are a semi dedicated drag racer at the track.

torrid red
    2004 GTO

thanks man. then i will continue to look at the turbos. but is it better to twin or single. for the reason of having a small and a larger turbo to get rid of lag?

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

Some people don't mind a little lag on a street car. Keeping the tires glued and not out of control is a good thing.

Twins are typically done on a V engine due to spacing(from manufacturers). Smaller is used for response, as you correctly surmise. Twins don't respond faster, they respond slower. Only half of the heat is used to drive each one. The only way to get them online quicker is to us smaller turbochargers, which will have less inertia to overcome. And that also limits total flow. Or stage them, where one is driven, then the second comes online after the first is up to speed.

How many twin turbo factory inline Caterpillars, International, or Cummins do you know of? Knowing a Diesel needs quick response, as upshift on a heavy power plant is typically 2200 rpm, and the load is very heavy.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

Besides, how can you not like that LSX 434 turbo project, or the Turbo Tahoe project?

torrid red
    2004 GTO

lsx 434 turbo project is what exactly?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NaviDyn View Post
    Some people don't mind a little lag on a street car. Keeping the tires glued and not out of control is a good thing.

Twins are typically done on a V engine due to spacing(from manufacturers). Smaller is used for response, as you correctly surmise. Twins don't respond faster, they respond slower. Only half of the heat is used to drive each one. The only way to get them online quicker is to us smaller turbochargers, which will have less inertia to overcome. And that also limits total flow. Or stage them, where one is driven, then the second comes online after the first is up to speed.

How many twin turbo factory inline Caterpillars, International, or Cummins do you know of? Knowing a Diesel needs quick response, as upshift on a heavy power plant is typically 2200 rpm, and the load is very heavy.

I think you're talking about a diesel motor when you say stage a turbo. You just dont do that on a gas motor. Lag will only be there if you size the turbo wrong. The thing with twin turbos is you generally have two smaller turbos which, yes will spool faster. There are a lot of variables when it comes to turbos. I mean heck I could get a single turbo to spool a lot quicker than a twin system if I was willing to give up top end, and have the twins sized too large.....

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by speedster04 View Post
    lsx 434 turbo project is what exactly?
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100360 read and keep a towel handy, you'll need it
    Information Technology Super Sport

Suspension|T56|5.3|Twin TC66's|

Thread Information