View Poll Results: turbo or super?

Voters
876. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a supercharger to turbos.......

389 44.41%
  • I prefer turbos to superchargers........

487 55.59%
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Turbo or Supercharger poll

This is a discussion on Turbo or Supercharger poll within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Fastpontiac, how difficult was the install on that STS, did someone do it for you and how much all told. ...

Ratdaddy07
    Fastpontiac, how difficult was the install on that STS, did someone do it for you and how much all told. Putting heads cam, headers and the works thinking turbo next year. Does it need a specific cam, is there more to it than just purchasing and installing the STS package?

red
    2000 Ta

I had a super charger and loved it but I'm going with a turbo this time around.

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire View Post
    has anyone here done some across the graph averaging of turbos vs superchargers or of different superchargers vs. each other(lets say an average of hp and torque from 2500-6500 rpm's?) This info would be very neat to compare........some real r+d number's.................I know that it doesn't always matter for across the board numbers for all applications but I would be curious just to see these results.
    It's not a Chevy but here is a great example of a Turbo vs Supercharger

The twin screw supercharger on the Saleen has a quick moment of greatness but none of it is useable. The turbo with less boost has the advantage on Average Power and Torque

Below is my old Tahoe with 350 Chevy. I had a 10 psi Paxton on it and then removed it and installed a 60mm turbo. The results were amazing! While peak power numbers were similar, Average power was way up and torque? fa-getta-bout-it the TURBO is KING

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire View Post
    has anyone here done some across the graph averaging of turbos vs superchargers or of different superchargers vs. each other(lets say an average of hp and torque from 2500-6500 rpm's?) This info would be very neat to compare........some real r+d number's.................I know that it doesn't always matter for across the board numbers for all applications but I would be curious just to see these results.
    Hope this works better

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

in Granatelli's defense, he didn't say that the dyno results were 12% higher than his, he said that the DynoJet readings are typically 12% higher than a Mustang Dyno, so he could add 40 more hp to his readings...

party on
    95 Exploder

01 R1 coming?

Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

IMO Procharger, not supercharger, is better than turbos. Any other S/C I can think of is blown out of the water by a well-balanced turbo system. But roll in Procharger, and things shift quickly vs a turbo.
    Last edited by Pyromaniacal; 08-28-2006 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Typos

Black
    1987 Grand National

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniacal View Post
    IMO Procharger, not supercharger, is better than turbos. Any other S/C I can think of is blown out of the water by a well-balanced turbo system. But roll in Procharger, and things shift quickly vs a turbo.

A well balanced turbo setup will blow out a Procharger as well. Look at the fastest Mustangs in every class where there are turbos. No supercharger, including Prochargers, comes close and that's with all of the turbo cars with weight penalties. Now why would they have weight penalties? As long as it's pulling on the crank, it is costing power on the front end to make power on the back end and that is the problem.

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Marc87GN View Post
    A well balanced turbo setup will blow out a Procharger as well. Look at the fastest Mustangs in every class where there are turbos. No supercharger, including Prochargers, comes close and that's with all of the turbo cars with weight penalties. Now why would they have weight penalties? As long as it's pulling on the crank, it is costing power on the front end to make power on the back end and that is the problem.
    I gotta go with Marc87GN on this. All power adders have there strengths and weaknesses. If you want 950 hp on the street and you must have a centrifugal it is hard to beat the Novi2000. Even Prochargers owners gave props to the Novi2000 as teh king of 1000hp 50 state legal blowers

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
    I gotta go with Marc87GN on this. All power adders have there strengths and weaknesses. If you want 950 hp on the street and you must have a centrifugal it is hard to beat the Novi2000. Even Prochargers owners gave props to the Novi2000 as teh king of 1000hp 50 state legal blowers
    I remember when my friend Mike Truppi took a pre-production Novi2000 to the 1000hp mark for the first time on a Bennett prepared 306 about 10-12 years ago...but he said he did that with around 30PSI (I don't remember the exact figures)

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Fedge View Post
    I remember when my friend Mike Truppi took a pre-production Novi2000 to the 1000hp mark for the first time on a Bennett prepared 306 about 10-12 years ago...but he said he did that with around 30PSI (I don't remember the exact figures)
    Truppi - How has he been? I gave Mike the Blower for that car. Car was owned by Car & Custom. Orange LX. That was teh baby Novi-2000 not the big one

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
    Truppi - How has he been? I gave Mike the Blower for that car. Car was owned by Car & Custom. Orange LX. That was teh baby Novi-2000 not the big one
    yep! that was the car!

He's fine...I get to see him as much as I used to, but I saw him this past winter and he was ok...Ralph was supposed to move the shop 2 years ago, but I dunno what happened. Mike was the only guy who worked on my LT1 back in 93-95, but we hung out long after that...
    Last edited by Fedge; 09-21-2006 at 04:43 AM.

FastPontiac
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hensgens View Post
    Fastpontiac, how difficult was the install on that STS, did someone do it for you and how much all told. Putting heads cam, headers and the works thinking turbo next year. Does it need a specific cam, is there more to it than just purchasing and installing the STS package?
    My car was completely stock before I started except for the cat back which I removed to put the turbo on. I bought the kit on EBAY for $3250 new. Somebody claimed they had bought the kit and then wrecked their car, so I got a deal. Add another $530 for a racetronix fuel pump and 42lb injectors. and $568 for installation of the injectors and to get the car tuned.

I installed the kit by myself in my garage with the car on jack stands. It wasn't too bad, I spent a few hours every day for about a week. I finished it on a sunday night and drove it to the tuner with the stock injectors the next day. I just made sure I didn't go into boost. Then they installed the bigger injectors and dyno tuned it. I've been driving it daily ever since without any problems. I did have to add some tubular rear control arms and relocation brackets to stop the wheelhop from the added power. I now have about 9 months and 7400 miles on the kit.

I wouldn't bother adding the headers if you are going to use the STS system. I'm runing my stock Y pipe cats and exhaust pipe leading back to what used to be the muffler and works fine. I also have the stock cam and heads.

RED
    06 Goat

I am picking up my 06 LS2 GTO this week and want to get a turbo kit, who make the best complete kit with the dependability, great perfomance gains and nice clean installation... I have been looking at the STS... Is there something better? What other mods should be done to this car?
    Thanks Everyone

I voted Supercharger over Turbo. That is only based on what I feel would be a better additon to an LS1 in the engine bay of a T/A or camero.

I've never used a supercharger only turbos. I currently drive a turbo MR2. I feel that for over all power a turbo is the only way to go I mean it's free horsepower and most turbos are going to operate in the 60% effiecency range a supercharger really can't drop those kind of effiecency numbers.

However, I feel the LS1 is a torque based engine and adding a supercharger over a turbo will continue to give it that torque on demand feel that I love so much. My main beef with STS is that they use an oil pump to lubricate the CHRA. Turbos were never and still are not designed to have the oil pumped into the center carthridge it should be gravity feed. If the oil pump fails then you just lost your turbo. On top of the fact that your having to pressure almost 5ft of piping which in itself is an inefficent design.

If I was going to Force induce a 4 cyclinder or an Inline 6 turbo hands down but a V-8 I would prefer a supercharger. This is all just my personal opinion.

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by realstiffyman View Post
    I am picking up my 06 LS2 GTO this week and want to get a turbo kit, who make the best complete kit with the dependability, great perfomance gains and nice clean installation... I have been looking at the STS... Is there something better? What other mods should be done to this car?
    Thanks Everyone
    I think STS would be your best bet, especially since you can do the install yourself with minimal tools in your own driveway or garage. I'm planning on getting one for my Trans Am... someday...

white
    00 WS6 Trans Am

Turbos all the way... I'm kinda biased though.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch83 View Post
    I voted Supercharger over Turbo. That is only based on what I feel would be a better additon to an LS1 in the engine bay of a T/A or camero.

I've never used a supercharger only turbos. I currently drive a turbo MR2. I feel that for over all power a turbo is the only way to go I mean it's free horsepower and most turbos are going to operate in the 60% effiecency range a supercharger really can't drop those kind of effiecency numbers.

However, I feel the LS1 is a torque based engine and adding a supercharger over a turbo will continue to give it that torque on demand feel that I love so much. My main beef with STS is that they use an oil pump to lubricate the CHRA. Turbos were never and still are not designed to have the oil pumped into the center carthridge it should be gravity feed. If the oil pump fails then you just lost your turbo. On top of the fact that your having to pressure almost 5ft of piping which in itself is an inefficent design.

If I was going to Force induce a 4 cyclinder or an Inline 6 turbo hands down but a V-8 I would prefer a supercharger. This is all just my personal opinion
    Those are some good points, I totally agree. Turbos are great for smaller engines, but I think Superchargers are best on V8s, since they basically keep the same powerband and driving characteristics, its just much faster

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch83 View Post

If I was going to Force induce a 4 cyclinder or an Inline 6 turbo hands down but a V-8 I would prefer a supercharger. This is all just my personal opinion.
    The oil is pumped to the turbo by the engine. Just like it's supposed to be. The pump is to get the oil back to the engine and it scavenges the turbo. It is also equiped with a pressure switch, If it fails an alarm goes off in the car. Even so, if it fails there is too much oil in the turbo and will just leak into the exhaust or intake pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by FastPontiac View Post
    My car was completely stock before I started except for the cat back which I removed to put the turbo on. I bought the kit on EBAY for $3250 new. Somebody claimed they had bought the kit and then wrecked their car, so I got a deal. Add another $530 for a racetronix fuel pump and 42lb injectors. and $568 for installation of the injectors and to get the car tuned.

I installed the kit by myself in my garage with the car on jack stands. It wasn't too bad, I spent a few hours every day for about a week. I finished it on a sunday night and drove it to the tuner with the stock injectors the next day. I just made sure I didn't go into boost. Then they installed the bigger injectors and dyno tuned it. I've been driving it daily ever since without any problems. I did have to add some tubular rear control arms and relocation brackets to stop the wheelhop from the added power. I now have about 9 months and 7400 miles on the kit.

I wouldn't bother adding the headers if you are going to use the STS system. I'm runing my stock Y pipe cats and exhaust pipe leading back to what used to be the muffler and works fine. I also have the stock cam and heads.
    you are running your stock cats?.......what if a chunk of them brakes loose or it deteriorates and falls apart.........poof goes the turbo.....fwiw I would take them out of the system. What type of HP and torque do you have? do you have a dyno graph that you could post?

Firestorm Red
    1993 Stealth ES

Turbos. Better for longer distances.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information