View Poll Results: turbo or super?

Voters
876. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a supercharger to turbos.......

389 44.41%
  • I prefer turbos to superchargers........

487 55.59%
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456723 ... LastLast

Turbo or Supercharger poll

This is a discussion on Turbo or Supercharger poll within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by notsomellow Ya know how they say "there is no replacement for displacement"? Turbo or supercharger, they both ...

FastPontiac

Booooost it!

Quote Originally Posted by notsomellow
    Ya know how they say "there is no replacement for displacement"? Turbo or supercharger, they both have their pros and cons. But, why bother with either when retaining stock displacement. Gonna do something then do it right. Save your money and commit to your motor. If you dont, you'll never truly feel the true power of your super or turbo. Also, all I ever here is "power power power!" Try droping the weight of your car 500lbs and feel that kind of power! "There is no replacement for less weight"-Me.
    All I know is my car is a daily driver and I drive it through the winter. I put the STS turbo kit on my 01 TA and have alot of power now. I have not lost the stock drivablility. I can have stock gas mileage or better if keep my foot out of it (not possible) and it drives stock unless I push to go pedal too far. Displacement has been replaced by technology. I have a 79 TA that has 455 cid and runs about the same in the 1/4 but sucks so much gas I cant afford to drive it much. It also idles rough and the brakes fade quite a bit. I'm putting 435 to the rear wheels in my 01 TA, have a smooth idle and can afford to drive my car. I have the stock cam, heads, y-pipe, etc. Don't knock it till you try it. Booooost it!

yellow
    2002 TransAm collector ed

Actually I have great respect for turbo. I road race in GT-1 class in the comma series (mid america) with my father's 2004 Noble M12. It has a twin turbo set up on a 3 litre Ford Duratec V6 block. The power of the car is intense rocketing to 60 mph in just 2.7 seconds (not kidding) but it only has 517 rwhp. The reason it is always the fastest car at the track is not entirely due to 517 rwhp, but rather to the fact that it only weighs 2100 lbs. I have come to respect the weight of this car more than the power or how it is attained. You know, you can shave lots of weight off of your car and still retain everyday driveability, ya just gotta be sneaky.

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

Quote Originally Posted by notsomellow
    Ya know how they say "there is no replacement for displacement"? Turbo or supercharger, they both have their pros and cons. But, why bother with either when retaining stock displacement. Gonna do something then do it right. Save your money and commit to your motor. If you dont, you'll never truly feel the true power of your super or turbo. Also, all I ever here is "power power power!" Try droping the weight of your car 500lbs and feel that kind of power! "There is no replacement for less weight"-Me.
    I agree actually - Kinda. Heads and a cam go a long way on the LS1. No need to yank the motor out though. Our turbo kit with heads and cams can make 700hp when asked to. You can easily drive around town with 550 and then turn it up when you want to race. Naturally 700 is a lot to ask from the stock short block but the average person is way happy with 550 to 600 and the stock short block can do that if you don't drive it like you stole it every day

Depends on the car. Turbo if its a V6, Supercharger if it's a V8

Black
    1987 Grand National

Turbo all the way. I would doubt that most people that have been in a strong turbo car would pick a SC. I had a 99 GT before the GN and ran a Centrifugal(V2 S-trim) and a T-76 turbo with the exact same setups on it over 5 years. I would never go back to an SC in anything. I was tired of hearing the low whistle 100% of the time. Take a ride in a Supercharged LS1 and then one with a good size turbo or twins and make your decision.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 98_Formula
    turbo are higher maintenance, and there aren't many complete kits cept for STS, and the thought of leaving my turbo out in the open like that scares me... but if ur up to the task of the turbo and know enuff about what ur doing, i think its hte way to go

Higher maintenance? SC require oil change 6,000 miles. Turbos, what maintenance?

Yellow

Turbochargers and LS1 / LS2 just belong together

yellow

Tell me about it. My dad has a gutted 02 Trans Am with a LS1 bored to 427 with twin turbos. The thing sounds like a 572 w/ no exhaust! and it drives like it to. *(10 pt cage, no glass..all lexan plastic windows, 4 corner coil overs, willwoods all around, Jericho 4 speed mated to Tilton 3 disc clutch, Moser 12 bolt, Ron Davis radiator, etc,etc....very fun car, nothing beats american muscle.

yellow

Tell me about it. My dad has a gutted 02 Trans Am with a LS1 bored to 427 with twin turbos. The thing sounds like a 572 w/ no exhaust! and it drives like it to. *(10 pt cage, no glass..all lexan plastic windows, 4 corner coil overs, willwoods all around, Jericho 4 speed mated to Tilton 3 disc clutch, Moser 12 bolt, Ron Davis radiator, etc,etc....very fun car, nothing beats american muscle.

yellow

oops

Yellow
    2005 GTO

What are talking smack about. 346 bored to 427. Neat trick.

12 Pounds

Silver
    95 Z

i own a procharger and love it. and as far as it generating boost down low, maybe 4 to 5 lbs at around 3500, but at the same time i cant put my foot down untill third gear anyhow so no complains here

on the street does low end torque matter(if you are at the track and are using slicks then maybe this hook up would matter), am I wrong in saying this because if you have too much HP to put to the ground it is just wasted, right?

Notsomellow.......what are the dyno numbers on your dads setup? what type of turbos?

12 Pounds

Silver
    95 Z

Quote Originally Posted by Marc87GN
    Turbo all the way. I would doubt that most people that have been in a strong turbo car would pick a SC. I had a 99 GT before the GN and ran a Centrifugal(V2 S-trim) and a T-76 turbo with the exact same setups on it over 5 years. I would never go back to an SC in anything. I was tired of hearing the low whistle 100% of the time. Take a ride in a Supercharged LS1 and then one with a good size turbo or twins and make your decision.
    besides belt drag. what else is the difference 8 lbs from a turbo and 8 lbs from a sc. i think boost is boost there is still the same pressure in the intake manafold, take away from the hp loss in the belt drag i dont see why one would make more power then the other?????????

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by m1083
    besides belt drag. what else is the difference 8 lbs from a turbo and 8 lbs from a sc. i think boost is boost there is still the same pressure in the intake manafold, take away from the hp loss in the belt drag i dont see why one would make more power then the other?????????

Turbo will take less power from engine to drive it and turbo will make more torque down low.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

The SC is set up to make 8# at max RPM. The turbo will be making it at about 2,500-3,000 RPM.

Does anyone know? at 3,000 and 6,000 RPM:
    How much HP is wasted driving a SC and
    How much HP is lost due to back pressure on a turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by ericwilloughby
    The SC is set up to make 8# at max RPM. The turbo will be making it at about 2,500-3,000 RPM.

Does anyone know? at 3,000 and 6,000 RPM:
    How much HP is wasted driving a SC and
    How much HP is lost due to back pressure on a turbo?

I dont think there is really any way of measuring the back pressure on a turbo. If you have a proper exhaust setup (large enough 02 housing, downpipe, etc) you shouldnt be losing any power.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Back pressure itself is easy to measure. Put a gauge on it. I think you would be surprised how high it is.
    What would have to be intuitive is how much HP is lost due to that pressure. I.E. I've driven on a clogged cat, due to NOS on 93 LT1, and 35 was my max speed.
    If anyone has measured it or can just guess.
    Just guess.

Also, a turbo can't utilize headers, cam, and open Ex system.
    Could these things make up for the belt drive loss in a SC. = or > turbo HP.

Quote Originally Posted by ericwilloughby
    Back pressure itself is easy to measure. Put a gauge on it. I think you would be surprised how high it is.
    What would have to be intuitive is how much HP is lost due to that pressure. I.E. I've driven on a clogged cat, due to NOS on 93 LT1, and 35 was my max speed.
    If anyone has measured it or can just guess.
    Just guess.

Also, a turbo can't utilize headers, cam, and open Ex system.
    Could these things make up for the belt drive loss in a SC. = or > turbo HP.
    Where are you putting this gauge exactly? In the exhaust manifold before the turbo or after it?

What do you mean a turbo cant utilize an open exhaust system?

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Before the turbo. We're talking about how much back pressure the turbo is making to drive a fairly bitchin' compressor.

Headers, cutouts if using a STS, what ever.
    Cam is a no no because of overlap.

There is enough back pressure you don't even need a muffler.!!!

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456723 ... LastLast

Thread Information