View Poll Results: turbo or super?

Voters
876. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a supercharger to turbos.......

389 44.41%
  • I prefer turbos to superchargers........

487 55.59%
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3192021222324 LastLast

Turbo or Supercharger poll

This is a discussion on Turbo or Supercharger poll within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i've tried not to say too much on this thread, but i can't help it! honestly turbos are where its ...

orange
    99 z28

i've tried not to say too much on this thread, but i can't help it!

honestly turbos are where its at for high power without too many quirks. not to say you can't do the same with a blower(my preference personally) but it takes more effort and money and time and blah blah blah.

blowers are badas$ for one reason, they're blowers! compare a blown 67 maro with slicks to a turbo honda. what do u get? lmfao hahaha! but the image is what i'm talkin about here...

to each his own, i debated on gettin a turbo, still debatin tell u the truth! i think i'm just gonna give her some laughing gas, that way i'll live lol, or have a better chance than i would with a blower/turbo.

but at the same time, the power u can make with a blower on an lsx is already enough! u can't even go higher than ~800hp (built motor), and a blower has the added benefit that i love! max torque as soon as u touch the pedal, i love em! i had a 89 thunderbird sc. only had 210hp but could walk 5.0's and early 4.6's all day just off the torque it had. that thing'd give my camaro a run for its money in a burnout comp lol

red
    2002 ss camaro

I have a turbo on my 02 ss and I love it I have driven many supercharger cars and this has been by far my favorite.

10's N/A

To choose between a supercharger or turbo would be tuff 4 me. I've wen't the supercharger route before and I was very pleased with that. Never been turbo though. From what I see and read, turbo's tend to have the most problems, but then again they can make a substantial amount of more power compared to a supercharger @ the same boost level. I think it would come down to which ever one I felt like building at the time.

White
    1997 Pontiac Firebird

I can't say i've driven a turbocharged LS1 but my dad has a Saturn Sky Redline. it is a little stock turbocharged 4 banger that can out run mustang gt's, so i'd have to go with turbos

Bright Blue Metallic
    1999 Camaro Z28

i want a superchager!!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

So, who won the battle?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    The reason turbos lag on jap cars is because they use small 4 cylinder engines with large turbos to try and make power, which is pointless. Results in terrible power and torque curves and gutless power in the lower RPM's, before the turbo spools up.

A V8 like an LSx with properly sized twins will exhibit very little lag if any at all. The engine is still powerful when you've not in boost, and it has enough cubes to spool the turbos almost instantly when you stomp on the pedal. Best of both worlds.
    +110% its all in how its setup,I dont have sts but mine is similar to them,but i have twins out back and I mean down under by not in aussi land ,although would love to visit there some day.my times speak for themselfs 133mph in 1320 feet with a stock ls2. @4200 with driver..
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Black
    2000 SS

Turbo

red
    2002 z

supercharger is by far better

Silver
    02 T/A Ram Air WS.6 Conv.

APC Turbo

APC Twin Turbo with the new upgraded turbines!!!

orange
    99 z28

those sts style are at the bottom of the barrel in my mind.. too far away from the engine, anything of similar size will make waaayy more power if you put it right where it needs to be (under the hood)

edit: i say this after watching too many sts cars get their asses handed to em by termi's..

do the math, smaller engine with a blower or bigger engine with turbo -> them termi's shouldn't even be gettin close unless they're modded to hell
    Last edited by Orange99z28; 08-18-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

What is more reliable?
    What is required to maintains a Supercharger and what is required to maintain a turbo/twin turbo

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

If I was looking for pure unadulterated power then I would say turbo hands down. But I love the sound and look of the superchargers way more. I love nothing more then to hear that high pitch whine of a supercharger.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

How often does the belt slippage occurs with the supercharger? Can it really kill your crank?

Black
    2002 Formula

I know that turbos do get the better horse power but some how i have always like the superchargers over all. Call me old fasion

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Had big block 6.71 in one of my cars in the old days.The whine sounds great and for intimdation Road Warrior factor they are hard to beat.
    Turbos sound cool especially like loud spooling sounds ,sts actually are very loud in that department. I like blow offs but you can run blow offs on supercharged cars too. Have had rides in two sts turbo cars one lt1 and one ls1. And two ati supercharged cars one lt1 and one ls1. All the above near stock.
    They were all fun and went pretty good. I favor turbos and am building twin turbo aps 408. Looking forward to some good power..scary power.
    I like all the power adders ,nitrous,Na, supers,turbos..all fun in their own ways.

Overall though would say turbos are the best . What is needed are magnetic bearing turbos.They will be a revolution. If you could elminate the need for oil or water lines..some turbos already have no water lines..you would greatly simplify installation and further increase reliability. Also magnetic bearing turbos would spin up extremely fast and give great powerband mabye allowing boost at like 1000 rpm and up.
    I can also see a good working electric type turbo possibly mabye with magnetic principles.
    Variable vane also are helping in the spooling up at lower rpm area. They are on the market already. Ball bearing turbos do tend to keep boost better on shifts.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

if that day comes I'll also be looking forward to magnetic bearing superchargers 99taws6

Navy Blue Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Turbos are better. Centrifugal superchargers are more efficient than twin screw/roots but are still less efficient than turbocharging due to the fact they are exhaust driven rather than belt driven off of the motor. The one downside to having a basic turbocharger is turbolag. However, there is new technology such as VTG, VNT etc. that have variable vane technology and can reduce lag tremendously. They can be electronically acuated giving you full control of boost etc. Currently the only production application is on some porsches and diesels like the new F250s, Cummins, and Duramaxes. But lag can be reduced without anything this complicated by simply using two stage turbos where the exhaust drives a smaller turbo for lower rpm and then as rpms increase the smaller turbo is bypassed and a larger turbo drives the boost. This virtually eliminates turbolag and is still much more efficient than any supercharger. Also nearly every supercharger must be oil cooled while mild turbo applications have other options such as water or air cooled

Blue
    2004 HSV Clubsport

If turbos make more power etc etc etc.............. why do NHRA cars run blowers?

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Well if you see my sig you can see I like turbos. I have several turbo dsm cars and they are big fun.I have ridden and driven an ati ls1 and ridden in an lt1 ati car. I have been in two sts cars , an lt1 and ls1.

Turbos make more power period than supers for every pound of boost. They can come in hard by 3000 and hold that crazy power to redline. You can buy good electronic boost controllers to make the power more controllable.

No centrifical blower on the street can touch a properly done turbo system. Centrificals are great at track where you can bring the rpm up high and keep it there. On the street you are ok if you can gear down but going up thr the gears centrificals just can't touch turbos.

Roots type and twin screws can give even more low end than turbos at very low rpms but the normal roots type die off top end the twin screws are strong thru the range but again turbos are more efficient.

Dont get me wrong still like all power adders, spray, supers be they centifical or twin screw ,turbos rear mount or front..single or twin. All are fun and all can do their job in slightly different ways. You can have stupid stupid low end from the roots and twin screws.They both look very nice. The centrificals can be easier to control traction with do the way they ramp up boost with rpm. As said though they make great electronic boost controls to control turbos also to help you with traction.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3192021222324 LastLast

Thread Information