View Poll Results: turbo or super?

Voters
876. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a supercharger to turbos.......

389 44.41%
  • I prefer turbos to superchargers........

487 55.59%
Page 1 of 24 1234521 ... LastLast

Turbo or Supercharger poll

Just like it says........we are going to take a poll and see which one is the favorite. pick one........turbo or super.....

Ford Taurus

Turbos rule, You guyz is crazy.

Black
    2000 WS6

The fastest guys all use turbos.

Sonoma GT w/416 L92/T56 HotRodV6's Avatar

Black
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT

Yeah much more HP potential from the Turbo. Much better drivability and tunability also. Atleast IMHO.
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492 of 806 built.
    Under Full Resto w/433 E85 L92/4L80E.

1992 GMC Typhoon #1104 of 2200 built.
    Broken Crankshaft. New Engine Soon.

2000 Olds Bravada
    Bagged 2wd Frame Swap
    L31 swap Planned
    Daily Driver

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Turbo>Charger

Black
    2000 WS6

Vortech here ....

blue
    05 Monaro

Turbos are the go for high torque and power at lower boost levels and long term engine durability.

Peter

N20LS1
    Turbos have less parasitic loss than superchargers, you don't have the hassle of changing pulleys or s/c belt slippage + Turbos sound better.

BLOWN_70_CAMARO
    In my knowledge Turbos were exhaust driven. You don't see many Camaros that are exhaust driven. Know if ya had a Grand National we could talk Turbos

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

How I see it

Naturally this is my opinion. - I will give the Positive and Negative to each kit AGAIN IMO. I would love to hear from others on their opinions as to what, why, where and how they feel on this subject

Centrifugal -
    * Plus or minus same price to acquire as a turbo or Twin Screw/Roots
    * Boost is RPM dependant - more RPM = More boost there is very linear is this respect
    * Centrifugals DO NOT beat up the air like a roots or twin Screw at cruise - that means they actually produce less heat (heat caused by compressing the air) when cruising.
    * Centrifugals are all about high velocity air - that means they DO NOT like restriction on the inlet or outlet. Small piping is not your friend with a centrifugal
    * Centrifugals look for reasons not make boost - that means they are prone to surging. Surging as defined by more air then the engine wants to consume at the that RPM - the down side to this is less boost but not a lot of heat - so it really is a wash
    *Centrifugals are far more dynamic then roots/twins screws. That means they have a huge window to perform and operate effectively throughout the dynamic range of the "air” compression cycle. -
    * Centrifugal are the BEST in this department. - Therefore you get the most out of a Centrifugal based on what you ask the blower to do.
    * However - they do not make boost anywhere near as well as the Turbo or Twin screw down low.

Twin Screw/Roots
    * Plus or minus same price to acquire as a turbo or Centrifugal in kit form
    * Boost curve is the BEST - They come on strong down low and if sized right can maintain the boost throughout the power (rpm) band
    * Twin Screw/Roots beat up the air at cruise - that means they actually produce heat (heat caused by compressing the air) when cruising making them more susceptible to detonation and pinging.
    * Twin Screw/Roots are all about Instant power because the boost is always there, they are not as RPM dependant as the Centrifugal or the Turbo. The down side to this is they build heat and retain it
    * Twin Screw/Roots are prone to surging. Surging as defined by more air then the engine wants to consume at that RPM - Again the down side to this terrible heat issues, they requires bypass valves to control air over heating issues.
    *Centrifugals are far more dynamic then roots/twins screws. That means they have a huge window to perform and operate effectively throughout the dynamic range of the "air” compression cycle. - The Roots / twin-screw type blowers operate on a more narrow window and cannot move as much air as a centrifugal or turbo (pound for pound). That means a centrifugal or turbo will support lets says from 100 to 600hp in the same unit and a roots type blower typically would support from 400 to 600. - Confused? A Novi-2000 will work on a 250hp Mustang and is emissions legal - that same exact blower can be removed and installed on an NMRA Renegade racecar and support 1000hp and run high 8-second quarter mile passes. (record is 8.37) As an example - the Roots blower on a car like MAD Max the movie ( that huge honk'n blower sticking out of his hood CAN NOT support as much as a puny Novi-2000 or Vortech Y trim
    * This is a huge pitfall for the roots type/ twin screw.
    * Twin Screws take the most power to drive of the three types but twin screws are still better (less power robbing then a Roots type
    * Twin Screw / roots are KING of the road if you have an auto trans in a heavy car like 3400 and up pounds and all you want is 425 to 450hp.

Turbos
    * Usually cost a few hundred more then a centrifugal in kit form but hey are very comparable
    * Boost is not RPM dependant so much but one could argue you need RPM to make exhaust pressure and exhaust flow. Exhaust flow drives the turbo to accelerate.
    * Turbo DO NOT beat up the air like a roots or twin Screw EVER - that means they produce less heat (heat caused by compressing the air) when cruising.
    * Turbo like open inlets do typically do not care how big or small the outlet is. (naturally bigger is better but they are very forgiving - Small piping is not so much an issue with the turbo
    * Turbos look for reasons to make boost – They are all about making power. However they are not prone to surging at all because they balance themselves out in the exhaust side.
    *Turbos are far more dynamic then roots/twins screws. That means they have a huge window to perform and operate effectively throughout the dynamic range of the "air” compression cycle. – But not as good as a centrifugal
    *Turbos make boost down low almost as well as a Twin Screw/Roots but it cost the engine very little to get the power

So again that is my professional opinion which I am sure most will agree with.

Skillet
    Turbos are cooler.

Yellow

I like them all. I sell turbo stuff now but owned Paxton Superchargers for several years. In the LS1 and LS2 world it sure seems like Turbos are the way to go. There is something wrong with a big centrifugal mounted in an F-body. It just lloks wrong regardless of how it performs - IMO

Turbo,,, I'm biased...

Superchargers>Turbochargers

Its all about the Low-RPM kick baby!
    Looking to buy a 98-02 Camaro/Trans Am!
    PM me if you have one for sale!

Yellow

Turbo

turbo LAG =

BUT:

look here
    http://www.ststurbo.com/centrifugal
    Last edited by timmy; 03-19-2006 at 07:55 PM.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6

I gotta say turbo. I watched two identical irocs (350 tpi 5spd both 89) go at it, one turbo and one vortech supercharged and the vortech obviously pulled but once that turbo spun up it was over he blew the superchargers doors in. Ever since watching that i have always been a turbo man.

Patriot maroon red
    1994 Pontiac Trans Am GT

what intercooler and where???

wrong title, if you dont say turbo you have never driven a car with one.
    Last edited by Firebird84; 03-23-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Yellow

Like I said I come from the world of Paxton; as i am the inventor of the Novi-2000. I like centrifugals and STS is wrong about how they present their case model. In an F-body i hate the way the centrifugal looks - it just looks wrong. I like turbos and I have already said that.
    Last edited by Granatelli; 04-02-2006 at 09:02 AM.

FastPontiac
    I have the sts and like it, drives stock till you push it down. Then it makes an addicting whooosh sound, and it pushes you back in the seat to tell you that you did the right thing.
    Last edited by FastPontiac; 04-01-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Page 1 of 24 1234521 ... LastLast

Thread Information