View Poll Results: turbo or super?

Voters
876. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a supercharger to turbos.......

389 44.41%
  • I prefer turbos to superchargers........

487 55.59%
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324 LastLast

Turbo or Supercharger poll

This is a discussion on Turbo or Supercharger poll within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 180ls1 well there is a turbo intregra that makes 4k horsepower out of very small cubes so ...

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
    well there is a turbo intregra that makes 4k horsepower out of very small cubes so if you apply that to a 4 or 5 hundred ci motor you can do the math. it would just be insane if top fuel motors ran a a twin turbo setup.
    The most hp I have seen from a Twin turbo setup is from the Lucas Oil Drag boat, It a 550Cubic inch motor producing a little over 4000HP. On alcohol.

No one is able to get the turbo's to run efficient enough or consistent enough to make anymore power, They blow the turbo's after only a few passes, Our supercharger we re-build after every 3 passes to get 90-100% boost efficiency. Turbo's are to hard to pull apart and re-build between rounds when your on a 90 min dead line.

If someone was able to make more power with a turbo I would like to see!!! Im interested in it?

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Where exactly is the turbo on our ls1's? Do you have to change up the exhaust dramatically?

I do like the turbos but think that I would hate my T/A with a gaping hole where my exhaust used to be (All the pics i've seen didn't have the dual tips).

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Where exactly is the turbo on our ls1's? Do you have to change up the exhaust dramatically?

I do like the turbos but think that I would hate my T/A with a gaping hole where my exhaust used to be (All the pics i've seen didn't have the dual tips).
    STS makes a rear mount turbo, I don't think theres really whole lot involved with changing the exhaust with that kit. I never really looked into that kit though. And for the missing exhuast tip you were mentioning, yeah that looks really queer IMO. I'm not sure about the STS kit, but with the other turbo company's kits, you can still run a y pipe over the axle for dual tips if you choose.
    99 z28 cam,m6 ,S60 4.56gears,Fast 90/90 full boltons,more mods one day.
    11.2 @ 123mph.

2000 C5 Torch Red

yeah, its sad that such a badass performance upgrade and I'm wondering if I'm gonna be missing exhaust tips, lol... I guess you could always have a dummy pair.

Do you have to go to sts or do they ship? I've been looking at trtturbo.com. I've heard them together before

2000 C5 Torch Red

Here's a badass pic

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

The corvette I raced at the track with a rear mount turbo setup had Dual exhaust out the back. Not sure if it was custom or what but looked nice!

2000 C5 Torch Red

I was looking at pics of the TRT setup vs the STS and the STS looks allot more natural. The pic above is from TRT and it looks like they take apart and customize a lot more. I believe that TRT has to cut into the cowl of the hood but STS does not. Not sure if thats true

Most of the pics I found from them had engines removed and what not.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

were might I find a TT setup for the Lt1 Trans am? anyone know a website?

2000 C5 Torch Red

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Awesome!!! Thanks, Single turbo will work in my application to.

orange
    99 z28

ok this is insanity. i owned a 89 thunderbird sc, only made 230hp i believe. but was just as quick off the line as my 350+hp na camaro. i loved that feeling of instant balls, a v6 2 ton car that could take mustang gt's.

i gotta say after that car i would love a roots blower on my camaro, maybe even find 2 of those thunderbird superchargers and put em both on my camaro.

i do hate the whine of big blowers though, turbos really do better when you get into 500+ hp, just need a completely built engine and pretty much kiss every day driver goodbye (sorry kenne bell, i think your blowers sound like a screaming tranvestite lol)

i can say definitively that you won't have the fastest car no matter what you do, so go with what you like, there are ways to make any choice you make work. just read up on your choice and you'll find more info than you could ever want. now you just gotta come up with some $$$

anyone know about these little sts things? i've heard good things about em but every time i've seen one they've gotten thier ass handed to em by another car (blowers, nitrous, and turbos, to date i haven't seen an sts win - i'm talking late model v8's btw)

orange
    99 z28

a bit more to add, i noticed an arguement over why top fuel uses blowers, the answer is simple. instant, reliable boost. with that much power letting turbos spool would probably kill whoever was unlucky enough to launch the car. s/c's are linear meaning you know what to expect at any given rpm, with turbos when you get that much hp you got a real scary situation on your hands (and damn near impossible to control)

2000 C5 Torch Red

I've seen a few vids on Youtube of Magnachargers on F-bodies. Does anyone know a site that sells them? I'm guessing that there's some fabrication to getting one to fit under the hood.

Blue
    2004 HSV Clubsport

I have to say the 3.3ltr Whipple for a street application! Mine will be pumping 1250rwhp @ 18psi which is more than enough power and will have enough torque to give myself whiplash!!

3.3ltr Whipple (being finished today)

My old 2.3ltr Whipple

2000 C5 Torch Red

Do you know online where you might find one for a ls1 T/A?

orange
    99 z28

i'm really interested in that whipple! how much and where'd ya get it/where'd ya get it installed? i'd love to have one of those on my camaro!

Trans Am owner
    former

i love love love the sound of a screw charger. plus their power and instant torque is awesome. prochargers i am not a big fan of. not enough on the bottom end. that screech at idle is only cool if you hear it every once and a while, but annoying iuf heard every day. roots blowers don't flow as good on the top end. i love top end power. thumbs down to the roots, unless a big fat lopey blower cam is on it. then its awesome. 0nly works for hot rods though. turbos

i think i must vote turbos, open up the wastegates and just cruise it, or close, listen to them spool up, and hang er sideways at 50 mph. turbos are flat out awesome. wish i could get a pair.

2000 convt twin turbo

I'm gonna have to stick with the turbo myself, just installed the APS twin setup on my C5, this things a beast,i've owned severl blown sbc and a twin turboed 2 stage no2 cummins deisel, the turbos have such a smooth power band to me,i've never owned or riden in a vortech style driven unit so don't really know how they perform

the 2000 convt with the aps twins, 60lb injectors, and a boosta pump laid down 510 very smooth hp and 500 ft lb

with less than 200 miles on the setup and 73k on the tranny high gears are frying

can't wait to get to the track
    only 15 minutes away
    and I own the key!

glimmerglassdetailing.com

Topaz Blue, White
    2002 BMW M3, S10 Xtreme

well, i cant vote, but I would vote TURBOOOOO

red
    1965 chevelle 2drht ss

Poll

Turbos Here

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324 LastLast