View Poll Results: turbo or super?

Voters
876. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a supercharger to turbos.......

389 44.41%
  • I prefer turbos to superchargers........

487 55.59%
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Turbo or Supercharger poll

This is a discussion on Turbo or Supercharger poll within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; well i luv the power a turbo or tt puts out but luv the sound of a whistling of a ...

whenwillthislifegetbetter slim420832002's Avatar

black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

well i luv the power a turbo or tt puts out but luv the sound of a whistling of a s/c

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

sounds like you need both... you should just have TT feeding a supercharger. ahahha now thats efficient.

whenwillthislifegetbetter slim420832002's Avatar

black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    sounds like you need both... you should just have TT feeding a supercharger. ahahha now thats efficient.

The Slow and the Broke ImportIntimidator's Avatar

Black
    2002 Trans Am

i vote supercharger, not so much cause i don't respect turbos 9that couldn't be farther from the truth) but i happen to have a nice set of Hooker long tubes I don't plan on removing. Plus i'm a mad traditionalist blown-V8 for sure. although i do know a TT on my Ws6 would rock the rubber off my tires

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Most Of this is true you can pull more HP from a trubo Except I have never seen a Turbo NHRA funny car that produces 8000HP, So in the end Supercharger is still the champ on HP!!! But I like turbo's for street driving.

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    Most Of this is true you can pull more HP from a trubo Except I have never seen a Turbo NHRA funny car that produces 8000HP, So in the end Supercharger is still the champ on HP!!! But I like turbo's for street driving.
    Not too sure if I agree with this but not going to get into it. Both are great and its a personal preferance along with goals/budget in mind.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Turbo of course. However I'm biased. I really like how my Regal runs and don't have much experience with driving SC.

I see alot of posts stating that turbos produce more power in the top end. I would say it's just the oppostite. Why do you think freight trains, semi's ect. use turbos? Becuase they can produce a heck of alot of torque at low RPM's to pull those heavy loads.

black
    2002 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by juiceboxx View Post
    Superchargers>Turbochargers

Its all about the Low-RPM kick baby!
    the roots style blower...has more low end

u have to wait for a turbo to whine up..
    plus it just sounds to ricy for a f-body...

BLOWER baby

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by ls1speedster View Post

BLOWER baby
    actually... turbos first saw an engine in airplanes... and their debut on a automobile was in gm so originally turbos are not a ricey thing... maybe now its used to make underpowered ricers efficient but its not ricey on a american car... its meannnn

Red?
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Redegal View Post
    Turbo of course. However I'm biased. I really like how my Regal runs and don't have much experience with driving SC.

I see alot of posts stating that turbos produce more power in the top end. I would say it's just the oppostite. Why do you think freight trains, semi's ect. use turbos? Becuase they can produce a heck of alot of torque at low RPM's to pull those heavy loads.
    Actually that's an apples-to-oranges comparison. You can't compare a FI diesel engine to a FI gasoline engine.....totally different animals.

Red?
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ls1speedster View Post

BLOWER baby
    Turbo lag is basically a thing of the past where modern ball bearing turbos are concerned. If a turbo is properly sized to a V8 engine, there will be more low rpm power available than you can harness on street tires.

Silver

btw a train or semi persay... when starting out isnt at low rpms, look at the gearing... its geared to where the turbo spools automatically producing all the torque to take off... also for many other reason but talking turbo talk here... and turbos do produce n/a torque untill they kick in... so if turbo kicks in you have good torque... if its hasnt kicked yet you are still n/a basically

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    so if turbo kicks in you have good torque... if its hasnt kicked yet you are still n/a basically
    You learn how to work with it on the street. If I'm driving "spiritedly" down a road with lots of curves and of up and down grades, I anticipate the lag and get on the gas early. The good thing about a turbo on the street is you can actually get somewhat decent gas mileage if you stay out of the boost.

Silver

You learn how to work with it on the street. If I'm driving "spiritedly" down a road with lots of curves and of up and down grades, I anticipate the lag and get on the gas early. The good thing about a turbo on the street is you can actually get somewhat decent gas mileage if you stay out of the boost.
    yeah my last car was turbo... theres no such thing as lag if you keep the rpms up... but i was just making a point to them about how the lack of torque low end is because its n/a at that point... unless rev'ed up therefore not in low rpm

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

This is such a hard decision to make, turbos are awesome because turnig boost up is alittle easier. No pulley changes like blowers. Blowers are instant boost. Turbos -maybe some lowend lag ,if any, but nothing to get your undies in a bunch over. BLowers whine at idle and at wot which I think is completely badass.Turbos alittle more unoticable at idle but you'll deffinately hear them once you hit the throttle hard enough. Blowers will always rob the motor of hp to make hp. Turbo's just use wasted energy to make energy or in this case hp. Turbo kits probably for the most part will be more expensive, but blower kits aren't cheap either. I'm NO expert on the subject but just trying compare the two. I myself at this point am leaning towards a turbo, but that's mainly cause everyone around my area now is doing cam(cams are becoming like assholes around my area, everyone has one) and one of my buddies already has a Procharger so nobody will expect a turboed and cammed Camaro around town.
    99 z28 cam,m6 ,S60 4.56gears,Fast 90/90 full boltons,more mods one day.
    11.2 @ 123mph.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Sorry about the camparison of the two, just read the first page of this post and see that someone already compaired the two. When posts get this long I tend to just look at the last page 1st.

weberje
    Hey all,

I am the FNG to forced induction here: I am trying to plan my WS6 mod "roadmap".

My first intent was air/exhaust- then had plans to cam/heads. Love the rumble of a good exhaust set up.

Is a 224/224 cam gonna be any help to a turbo system in the future?

Are the hookers gonna have to come off?

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

The headers are gonna be replaced by some sort of turbo headers or manifold setup. So it's gonna suck to get rid or $400+ headers. I don't know alot about turbo cams,but I believe a cam in the 224range shouldn't really hurt turbo performance to bad. Your LSA and ICL all come into effect too. I've seen some turbo cams in the 240duration range but the LSA is on like a 115 or higher instead of a typical N/A car being on like a 112.

Shadow Grey
    2003 Mustang Cobra

I love the turbo and will never go back to SC.
    2003 Mustang Cobra (811rwhp)
    2005 GTO
    2009 Audi A5 3.2

LIGHTLY MODDED

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    well there is a turbo intregra that makes 4k horsepower out of very small cubes so if you apply that to a 4 or 5 hundred ci motor you can do the math. it would just be insane if top fuel motors ran a a twin turbo setup.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread Information