View Poll Results: turbo or super?

Voters
876. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a supercharger to turbos.......

389 44.41%
  • I prefer turbos to superchargers........

487 55.59%
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Turbo or Supercharger poll

This is a discussion on Turbo or Supercharger poll within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey 2muchfun what rear gear you running to get that kinda mileage?...

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Hey 2muchfun what rear gear you running to get that kinda mileage?

10's N/A

I'd have to say...uh...Nitrous

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I'd have to say...uh...Nitrous
    perhaps there sould be a new poll on this topic eh? i saw a poll on ls1tech that was the same but turbo/super/nitro... seems better imo no ofeense to who made it cuz it is a good thread

neh, nitrous runs out, awesome for the strip but imo not nearly as cool on the street.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

How about supercharger, turbo, and nitrous?

Ok, ok, I haven't actually seen that, but there is a pic of someone who put a supercharger on top of a supercharger...

seen turbo with a supercharger, adding a 50-shot to the mix shouldn't be too hard

SOM
    98 TA

What ever I don't currently have is what I want. Yep, Super charger with nitrous on the next ride.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    perhaps there sould be a new poll on this topic eh? i saw a poll on ls1tech that was the same but turbo/super/nitro... seems better imo no ofeense to who made it cuz it is a good thread
    Yeah, I think it only makes sense

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    neh, nitrous runs out, awesome for the strip but imo not nearly as cool on the street.
    Oh please. I get 4-5 solid passes out of the bottle @ the strip, which translates to more than I need for the street. Nitrous is ALSO a power adder!
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    I started this thread because when I am ready to build a motor I wanted feedback on which one(supercharger or turbo) people prefer and their experiences with it. I did not include nitrous not because it is a poor power adder, but because you can easily add nitrous to either one of those two and have a lethal combination. The turbo and supercharger combo's are not in my plans at all. Nitrous is the best HP adder for the money but that is not what I wanted to know.

ok folks... Turbo vs Supercharger subject. thanks for staying on topic.

I started this thread because when I am ready to build a motor I wanted feedback on which one(supercharger or turbo) people prefer and their experiences with it. I did not include nitrous not because it is a poor power adder, but because you can easily add nitrous to either one of those two and have a lethal combination. The turbo and supercharger combo's are not in my plans at all. Nitrous is the best HP adder for the money but that is not what I wanted to know.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    ok folks... Turbo vs Supercharger subject. thanks for staying on topic.
    well in that case, neither

White
    VX SS 400 Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo for me, the Gentt from aus
    Last edited by T_Kiwi; 08-27-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Red?
    2001 Z28

I know this is an ancient thread that continually seems to be brought back from the dead, however, I was not a member previously, so only now can I post my response. I think the only people who can really provide an informed response to this question are those who have personally used BOTH power adders. I have used the Paxton Novi 2000, the Procharger, and turbos on my V8s. I've had 5.0 Stangs and LT1s with the power adders in question. I've also used the giggle gas. In reading thru many of the previous responses to this question, I've alarmingly observed that quite a few people who have posted replies are EXTREMELY misinformed on turbos. It was shocking to see that some people have actually stated that turbos are better suited to four bangers than V8s, a ludicrous statement considering a larger displacement engine's superior ability to spool a large compressor. Quite a few people have also incorrectly stated that a turbo's perceived "lag" is a good reason to choose a blower over a turbo, because blowers presumably provide instant response and superior low rpm power. While the positive displacement blowers provide this, anyone in the know will attest to the fact that a well-matched and designed turbo system will provide lower rpm hp and torque numbers that far exceed those of centrifugal superchargers. This is due in large part because turbos are load dependent, not RPM dependent like centrifugal superchargers. The perceived "lag", especially where todays more efficient turbos are concerned, is a non-factor, unless the chosen turbo is mismatched to the application. I liken a well-matched turbo system to having your cake and eating it, too, as it provides low rpm power similar to a positive displacement blower, and high rpm power on par with centrifugal superchargers. Speaking from personal experience, I can say without a modicum of hesitation, that after experiencing the world of turbocharging, I would not even consider going back to a supercharger.
    In conclusion, although I don't mean to go off topic, I've not been interested in giggle gas since switching to turbos, either. I consider N2O to be an excellent addition to turbos in an extreme application, but I would never recommend it to anyone IN PLACE of a turbo, unless said person cannot afford a quality turbo kit. After the significant initial expense of the turbo kit and QUALITY tuning, I drove my LT1 car every day in nice weather for 2 1/2 years, with NO mechanical problems, before deciding to sell her. In that time, with a seven psi kit, the upkeep was very much like a stock car. It required nothing more than routine maintenance, and the power was there any time and at any rpm, without having to be at WOT to experience it, or ever having to refill a bottle, or worry about bottle temp and pressure. It's everyone's perogative to make his or her own decisions on which power adder to choose. My only intention with this post was to provide an opinion as someone who has been there and done that, having used all three power adders in the past, and having spent thousands of dollars in reaching my conclusion. I wish you the best in whichever route you take.

White
    VX SS 400 Twin Turbo

^^^^ absolutely brilliantly put mate, i get 5psi at 2000rpm on the stall and throttle responce is instant even when i had twin turbo on my stock engine. blowers are a thing of the past for the mighty V8. Note the fastest ls1 (this is an ls1 site) in the world is Turbo charged 7.0sec@207mph
    http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...light=hypa+ute

Oh and this Twin Turbo

/\
    /\
    That is EXACTLY what I've been trying to say!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T_Kiwi View Post
    Twin Turbo for me, the Gentt from aus
    Do they make a TT kit for the F body?

White
    VX SS 400 Twin Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire View Post
    Do they make a TT kit for the F body?

They sure do www.ls1edit.com.au
    Last edited by T_Kiwi; 08-31-2007 at 05:18 AM.

Find me a company that will sell me a kit for my Gen II smallblock, the 350 cubic-inch LT1.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread Information