View Poll Results: turbo or super?

Voters
876. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a supercharger to turbos.......

389 44.41%
  • I prefer turbos to superchargers........

487 55.59%
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Turbo or Supercharger poll

This is a discussion on Turbo or Supercharger poll within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; no problem. thanks for your opinion man....

no problem. thanks for your opinion man.

black, and black
    04 M6

turbo

i guess i would have to say turbo even though ive never driven a super charged vechicle, i've been working ems for years and our turbo diesels are powerful for their weight and the engines last along time with lots of abuse, but like i said this is on a diesel. but thats my thought

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Wow, after going back and reading this thread (again) I am motivated to volunteer my Z28 as a guinea pig. Somebody put a turbo on it for me so I can do a comprehensive long-term study for the attributes of turbocharging an LS1!!!

red
    02 camaro ss 35th anniver

i love my ati procharger( 7 psi ) on my 2002 camaro ss 35th anniversary 450 rwhp and a tune for the track that get's me a 12.8 @112 mph.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Want HP.....TURBO all the way.......

Road Race Addict

White
    1999 Firebird Formula

I really prefer super chargers to turbo, Super charges creat a lot of low end torque. making spirited driving a lot of fun. Plus who doesn't love the looks of a v-8 with a roots type blower.
    Supercharges do seam to be more reliable. I even like the ATI procharger. K drove a friends of mine and it was fairly stout off the bottom end. Would have like to drove it at a track!

But turbos are getting where the produce more Hp and have a lot less turbo lag then in the past. A lot more to maintain with the turbo expecially dual turbos. For a full out drag car this is probably the better path.
    wj

Turbos win

Great explanation! I like the idea of turbos being for a daily driver, but aren't the funny cars all using roots superchargers? Must be a reason for that? Maybe there hasn't been a reasonable enough cost efficient way to make a drag turbo to compete with those guys?
    If it doesn't have a turbo or a V8, it doesn't belong on the road.

Hey guys look it came back from the shop! I still need a bigger wing though...

Quote Originally Posted by ericwilloughby View Post
    Not busting on you here, would just like to clear up a few things.

All turbo's and all super chargers are nothing but air compressors. As a matter of fact the Procharger, Vortex, centri type, actually use a turbo's impeller wheel to force the air. The only dif is the sc is driven by taking power from the crank to turn a pulley, and the turbo gets its push from the exhaust gasses still burning in the pipes.

I think a third is on the very high side for the amount of power robbed. I've been involved in some testing and for the normal street car centi making about 500 RWHP about 75 HP extra was used to turn the sc. In other words the car was making about 575 but that much was taken off of the front of the crank to turn the sc. That's about a 13% lose.

You might think that the turbo on the same car, same boost, would make 575 but not quite. 555ish. The turbo, in blocking the exhaust to make it spin robs the engine of about 20 hp because the exhaust has a much harder time getting out of the engine so a full,fresh air charge, can't quite get in. Again, this is also why turbos make slightly better MPG than N/A.

Turbo lag is nothing compared to the boost a centri, procharger, vortex, can not make at low RPM's. Lag is gone by about 2,200 rpm on a turbo. Boost doesn't hit it's peak on a centi until red line. Because being belt driven, it's speed is always dependant on the rpm of the engine. The only type that makes more low end boost, below 2,200 rpm than a turbo is a roots, Maggie, type supercharger. But these roots type kill you on the top end where it matters most. The only time you miss that 2,200 rpm or less power is on the launch and you better have some drag slicks. Anyway, what's the point, if your looking for power down that low get a high stall converter and just move the launch rpm up to 3,000 or higher.

As for the oil. All of them have to be changed. Change it every 3,000 and it wont matter. On the down side for the Procharger, you have to change it's oil in a separate job because it has a self contained system. A little more work.

Compressing the air, no matter what system you use, increases it's temp. And if you are looking for more than 6 psi you need an intercooler no matter what system you use. All kits I can think of come with an intercooler anyway. Except for the entry level STS turbo kit, which runs at 6 psi.

The altitude part made little since to me but I think I know what you are getting at. The sc, being belt and gear driven, compresses the air by a factor of x. Lets say that at sea level you are making 14.7 psi of boost. That is double atmosphere. If you were to drive up a very tall mountain and the atmo pressure at the top was only 8 psi. You would only be making 8 psi of boost up there.

A turbo on the other hand actually controls the boost pressure via the wastegate. Where there is NO pressure control on a sc, just controlled shaft speed based on RPM. The turbo will make whatever psi you have it set to make no matter the atmospheric pressure.
    Is it possible to vary the boost pressure by just varying the amount of gas vented into the atmosphere, similar to a waste gate on a turbo? Is that already in place because I don't know the specific technologies each company has?

If you were to just turn up the boost at higher altitudes, wouldn't that put further stress on the turbo's parts, also the car hasn't been tuned (the computer has not been programed to supply the proper fuel curve at a given altitude)? Of course no one would stay at a different altitude for long without tuning your ride appropriately. So in the end a turbo would make more power at varying altitudes because of its apparent versatility, but it would not perform at optimum levels though.
    Last edited by Ricer Cooker; 07-01-2007 at 05:39 PM.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

ricer cooker, is that ur car???????

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    no, just some pic I found on google. Its supercharged and twin turbocharged. Click on my avatar. No idea how much power it makes.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    R u nuts? he's only 18 LOL... that would be a little too much for me too

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

oh god.. i was scared for a second. i didnt see the turbos on it too.
    idk i figured maybe, it was a dad/son project? or maybe its a car that belongs to his dad, or hes just got alot of money haha.

ya never know.

Black
    2001 WS6

I know its been said 50 times by now, but you'll get more power overall with a turbo!... But superchargers are still awesome
    -01 WS6 TransAm-
    Free mods, K&N/SLP Lid, Hooker ceramic coated LTs, 3.5" pipe w/ SLP LoudMouth w/o cats, Hurst shifter, LS6 Manifold, Richmond 3:73s, Nitto T555R, Professional tune & one hell of a driver!

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

nothing says american muscle like a chevy big block with an 8-71 weiand blower sittin pretty on top!
    but than again, most of us in here will probably never own a big block, so we will stick to the most effecient way of blowin fords and imports outta the water and if thats puttin gay turbos on f bodys than you better be damn sure im gettin one too

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

its common sense! TURBOs make more power , this is the only reason evos or subis are as fast as they are..

it depends on the application of the turbo, but generally speaking turbos make more power... but not always the case.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

how and in which application would they not be most efficient, besides top fuel.

the topic s/c vs turbo has been covered in this thread in overkill. go back some pages and read...

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information