View Poll Results: turbo or super?

Voters
876. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a supercharger to turbos.......

389 44.41%
  • I prefer turbos to superchargers........

487 55.59%
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Turbo or Supercharger poll

This is a discussion on Turbo or Supercharger poll within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; turbo...

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

turbo

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

i had a 90 gsx before i had my z (which coincidently i wrecked). The wat a turbo'd car drives and the way it pulls during acceleration is a nice rush, even though the car i had was all top end. Turbos are extremely efficient and with the right tuning and powerband matching they really lay down the power.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

procharger all the way

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    turbo
    I still must agree

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
    I still must agree
    But you don't have a turbo...

...you have two...

Granatelli you should make a kit for the 04-06 GTO.

procharger and intercooler will do the job very nicely., unless doing a single big turbo unit and run on race gas. so I am split 50/50 on this s/c vs turbo

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    procharger and intercooler will do the job very nicely., unless doing a single big turbo unit and run on race gas. so I am split 50/50 on this s/c vs turbo
    whats the difference between a procharger and a supercharger?

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Procharger is a supercharger, there are 2 types of superchargers 1 like the procharger is a centrifugal supercharger which is basicly a belt driven turbo and hangs off the side of the motor and builds boost as the revs rise usually higher in the rev range and makes more top end power and the other is a positive displacement supercharger like a Magnusen or Ken Belle which sits in place of the inlet manifold and starts making boost just off idle, most people take the PD blower over the Centrifugal because it is more of a drivers blower and makes boost in the rev range you use most.

Hope this helps

Dave

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by billabong26z View Post
    Granatelli you should make a kit for the 04-06 GTO.
    ls1turbo.com.au make a kit to suit these vehicles and are about to release one for the G8 which you guys will be getting soon. they make around 580 rwhp.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSONNOS View Post
    Procharger is a supercharger, there are 2 types of superchargers 1 like the procharger is a centrifugal supercharger which is basicly a belt driven turbo and hangs off the side of the motor and builds boost as the revs rise usually higher in the rev range and makes more top end power and the other is a positive displacement supercharger like a Magnusen or Ken Belle which sits in place of the inlet manifold and starts making boost just off idle, most people take the PD blower over the Centrifugal because it is more of a drivers blower and makes boost in the rev range you use most.

Hope this helps

Dave
    I think most people would take the centri because it makes more power up top. I also think the car manufacturers use the PD because it doesn't mod to higher boost levels easily like the centri and the intercooler is usually air to water instead of air to air which also makes less HP and costs less.
    Last edited by ericwilloughby; 03-28-2007 at 10:53 AM.

white
    00 WS6 Trans Am

turbos, but I'm kinda biased.

Thumbs up

Hope this helps

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by anarchy99 View Post
    turbos, but I'm kinda biased.
    I know turbo is nice too

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Hope this helps

Dave
    yes that did help thank you, but now what im wondering is, if for example u went centrifugal, or bought a turbo (both which make power at higher rpms) are you sacrificing ANY low end power? or does it just not make power down there, so low end it will be the same as stock?

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    yes that did help thank you, but now what im wondering is, if for example u went centrifugal, or bought a turbo (both which make power at higher rpms) are you sacrificing ANY low end power? or does it just not make power down there, so low end it will be the same as stock?
    A turbo does not shine on the top end. The turbo biggest advantage by far is in the torque it provides starting at 2500 RPM. If you look at some HP numbers for TT guys you'll notice something like 500 HP and 570 TQ. This is due to the fact that street turbo's tend to become a plug in the exhaust on the top end but pack in full boost at 3,000. They cause considerable backpressure. The SC does not hinder exhaust scavenging and can be used with headers and large cams, top end HP, where as a turbo can not. A Prochargers numbers would be more like 570 HP 500 TQ.

The Procharger makes no, zero, boost down low, < 2500. They aren't supposed to and there boost is about half at 3600ish and full on up top.

Two very differant means to make some big power.

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by ericwilloughby View Post
    A turbo does not shine on the top end. The turbo biggest advantage by far is in the torque it provides starting at 2500 RPM. If you look at some HP numbers for TT guys you'll notice something like 500 HP and 570 TQ. This is due to the fact that street turbo's tend to become a plug in the exhaust on the top end but pack in full boost at 3,000. They cause considerable backpressure. The SC does not hinder exhaust scavenging and can be used with headers and large cams, top end HP, where as a turbo can not. A Prochargers numbers would be more like 570 HP 500 TQ.

The Procharger makes no, zero, boost down low, < 2500. They aren't supposed to and there boost is about half at 3600ish and full on up top.

Two very differant means to make some big power.

got a customers car with a Vortec running 15 psi but makes that boost at 6500 rpm.

Sorry wasn't entirely correct with turbo's and top end hp but they do make boost later than a PD blowers. Remember torque =

Torque is what makes the car "feel" fast and torque is what fries the tyres without going to redline.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

I agree that turbo's do make boost later than PD blower but were talking < 2500 RPM here. Where it really doesn't matter with a V8. Especially if you have an auto.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

so which one would be best for anything above 3500rpms for the most torque and hp? to make it interesting imagine the best cam setup for each one and then let me know.

Thanks

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

and each one tuned to be its best for the street, hahaha

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information