Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

turbo size/boost

This is a discussion on turbo size/boost within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; good call on the pumps quik...

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

good call on the pumps quik

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

not sure why an external pump would be considered a bandaid. I run an Aeromotive and no issues with it at all.....

When it comes to turbos there are a number of factors to consider, a/r, trim of the wheel, fuel system, back pressure issues....it goes on and on. You go too small on the exhaust and you'll create too much back pressure and end up choking the turbo. Go with a 76mm turbo with a .81 a/r on the exhaust, and a compressor wheel with a 3.2" inducer and a 2.960" exducer. If you want the part number message me and I'll tell you where to get it. Trust me, this is plenty of turbo for your car.

I believe someone mentioned Turbonetics, I'm just not a big fan of their turbos....personal preference is all
    Last edited by cailey37; 03-21-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    not sure why an external pump would be considered a bandaid. I run an Aeromotive and no issues with it at all.....

When it comes to turbos there are a number of factors to consider, a/r, trim of the wheel, fuel system, back pressure issues....it goes on and on. You go too small on the exhaust and you'll create too much back pressure and end up choking the turbo. Go with a 76mm turbo with a .81 a/r on the exhaust, and a compressor wheel with a 3.2" inducer and a 2.960" exducer. If you want the part number message me and I'll tell you where to get it. Trust me, this is plenty of turbo for your car.

I believe someone mentioned Turbonetics, I'm just not a big fan of their turbos....personal preference is all
    refering to inline pumps those are bandaid. a external pump like the magnafuel ones or A1000 are good choices if that is what you chose
    Last edited by cailey37; 03-21-2009 at 09:33 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    First, David Childress, Mightymouse, doesn't expect his car to last that long. And if I remember correctly I believe he was rebuilding it not long after the shootout. I think you are missing the point. The question was what can the stock crank safely take. It can't safely take no 20lbs. I dont run 7lbs in my car but I also know that it's not going to last no 5 years. You get guys come on here and start telling people that you can safely run 10-15-20lbs and forget to tell the rest of the story.....a trail of broken parts and a lot of grief. Why dont you talk to David....he'll be glad to tell you his story....

He didn't rebuild the car after the shootout. The engine before his ERL based-build lasted over 60K miles with a TON of track and street passes. Yes, I was suprised by this as well, but W2W builds good motors. Swapping cranks was a big deal for SBC's with weak cast cranks, but our stock cranks have been proven hundreds of times past 1200rwhp. I have never heard of an LS motor chunking itself over the crank actually... It's the most stout piece in our engine. Fwiw, back when Wheel2Wheel ran their first 6-second pass years ago on a stock-inch LS1 I am almost 100& sure that their car had a stock crank.

*IF* (and this can be a big IF) the tune is RIGHT, the first point of failure would be rod bolts stretching or other rod-related failure. If the tune is not right, you'd lose a piston first.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information