Results 1 to 20 of 20

Turbo ?s

This is a discussion on Turbo ?s within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What size turbo would I need to use to do a 7 to 10 pound set up?...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    17

    black
    99 camaro

    Turbo ?s

    What size turbo would I need to use to do a 7 to 10 pound set up?

  2. #2
    Member Faught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    round rock TX
    Posts
    354

    white
    1999 Trans Am

    a 40mm turbo can do 10 ps1, but i would go with a 57mm in case you want to up that in the future.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    17

    black
    99 camaro

    Didn't see that coming man everyone locally is saying go with a 76 mm and I thaught that was a little big for what I'm looking for but I didn't know for sure.

  4. #4
    Member Faught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    round rock TX
    Posts
    354

    white
    1999 Trans Am

    a 76mm for a single set up is nice but it takes a while to build boost what are you looking to get out of the turbo set up? 7psi can get you close or into the 500hp range on an ls1.
    auto or m6? and is this a DD?

  5. #5
    She-Member jrbonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central OK
    Posts
    782

    2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

    Are you getting close to actually doing this? As I want to put a turbo on my trans am also. I even have half the parts to make it happen, just not sure where to begin.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    17

    black
    99 camaro

    I do cruise in it somtimes but no it's not a dd and I'm looking for around 8 to 10 psi nothing major but I know that's pushing stock parts but I have plans for a built motor this winter so no big deal . And yes I'm looking to do this asap if possible I have a 60/1 sitting around and my friend does custom piping who is gonna do my cold side piping and I found hot side kits on eBay for front mount setups I just don't know about turbo size ect ect

  7. #7
    Member Faught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    round rock TX
    Posts
    354

    white
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by jernigan359 View Post
    I do cruise in it somtimes but no it's not a dd and I'm looking for around 8 to 10 psi nothing major but I know that's pushing stock parts but I have plans for a built motor this winter so no big deal . And yes I'm looking to do this asap if possible I have a 60/1 sitting around and my friend does custom piping who is gonna do my cold side piping and I found hot side kits on eBay for front mount setups I just don't know about turbo size ect ect
    well in that case any turbo 50-60mm would be nice for that application. but you will want new heads with that turbo.

  8. #8
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    wow...

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sleeper101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Springcity
    Posts
    1,152

    Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

    That 60-1 will do the trick. Spool time is nearly instant and it makes great power! I am running the 60-1 on my setup. Seems nearly perfect imo. 76mm is too big unless you got a big block imo.

  10. #10
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    KY turbo uses a 76mm trim with a Turbonetics head unit and it is spec'd to be used with LS1's...

  11. #11
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    KY turbo uses a 76mm trim with a Turbonetics head unit and it is spec'd to be used with LS1's...

    Easily the best piece of advice in this thread.


    Now. And HP61 will FALL FLAT ON ITS FACE. I know this, i owned one, Hp topped around 510whp period. It wasnt going any Farther.

    So i hope that also the answers about a 50-60mm, lol. not gonna do anything for you.

    Do no use less then a 70mm turbo on your ls1. And its also not just about the compressor either.

    The turbine wheel and AR size of the exhaust housing plays an equally important rule.

  12. #12
    Member Faught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    round rock TX
    Posts
    354

    white
    1999 Trans Am

    a buddy of mine uses a 56 or 57mm turbo on his z28 with i believe 6 or 7 lbs of boost and makes ~460rwhp and it will snap you neck when he goes balls to the walls. i think he is coming out to the dyno day ill get vid if he is there.

  13. #13
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Faught View Post
    a buddy of mine uses a 56 or 57mm turbo on his z28 with i believe 6 or 7 lbs of boost and makes ~460rwhp and it will snap you neck when he goes balls to the walls. i think he is coming out to the dyno day ill get vid if he is there.
    Go ahead and get a video. Make sure to get the graph in RPM as well.


    If it is truley a 56 or 57mm that power probably falls off as fast it comes on in any LS motor.

  14. #14
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    OP, Dont listen to any of us for that matter, call a sponsor, call someone that does this shit for a living.

    I said what i said, well, becuase ive been their. I had an HP61 on my rearmount setup when i had it. Power fell off quickley then, On a front mount, it would spool to the moon and max out fast.

    I guess those things are fun for a street car, but the first time you go to the track and try to run xx.xx @ xxxmph and you turn the wick up to go faster and you dont, youll be pissed.

    call Jose @ forced induction.

  15. #15
    Member Faught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    round rock TX
    Posts
    354

    white
    1999 Trans Am

    ok just got him on the phone he runs a T70 66mm turbo with stock lq9 heads, and all the other necessary bells and whistles for a turbo build. said it made 458 rwhp on 6 psi and a street tune.

  16. #16
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    And their is really no reason to change heads in a budget setup, The budget thing to do would be put new valve springs and pushrods in. The only thing he gained was a little better flow and lower compression from the truck heads.

    Their is nothing wrong with the stock heads other then the obvious. Better springs and rods and let her eat.

    If you are truly talking budget.

    But i can tell you, make sure the tune is SPOT ON. Very important.

    And of course, the right thing to do would be obvious as well.

    And for the record, plenty of people making 600 on 241 heads in similar senarios.

  17. #17
    Member Faught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    round rock TX
    Posts
    354

    white
    1999 Trans Am

    i did not say he had to get new heads just that he would want some, eventually; in case he ramps up boost in the future but then you want internals too its the mod and power bug every one gets bit. and ya 600 hp is easy with his set up but he only pushes 6 psi b/c its his DD im sure he could ramp it to 10-15 and get in the 600 range

  18. #18
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    And their is really no reason to change heads in a budget setup, The budget thing to do would be put new valve springs and pushrods in. The only thing he gained was a little better flow and lower compression from the truck heads.

    Their is nothing wrong with the stock heads other then the obvious. Better springs and rods and let her eat.

    If you are truly talking budget.

    But i can tell you, make sure the tune is SPOT ON. Very important.

    And of course, the right thing to do would be obvious as well.

    And for the record, plenty of people making 600 on 241 heads in similar senarios.
    This is exactly what I did with my Procharger build. New hardened push rods and new valve springs. Everything else is stock.

    I should have numbers by the 1st week of June running 8psi. I'll be sure to post them.

  19. #19
    Member Faught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    round rock TX
    Posts
    354

    white
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This is exactly what I did with my Procharger build. New hardened push rods and new valve springs. Everything else is stock.

    I should have numbers by the 1st week of June running 8psi. I'll be sure to post them.
    oh ya let us know i have bin thinking of a S/C build but not sure close to 200K miles on my original ls1, 4l60e, and 10 bolt

  20. #20
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Faught View Post
    oh ya let us know i have bin thinking of a S/C build but not sure close to 200K miles on my original ls1, 4l60e, and 10 bolt
    I'd suspect your rings aren't going to do so well with FI or your 10 bolt

    I already have a build thread going in the FI section of the site.
    It's on jackstands.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. turbo ls 240sx vs turbo mustang + video
    By Sleeper101 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM
  2. Wanted: Trade my HUGE turbo for your smaller turbo
    By Iknowthefuture in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 06:47 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 07:50 AM
  4. Pontiac Firebird Turbo Installation - Subterranean Turbo System
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 07:16 PM
  5. camaro turbo vs 3000gt turbo
    By GONZO SS in forum Multimedia Section
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 07:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •