turbo questions..

This is a discussion on turbo questions.. within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ok so im working on putting together a twin turbo setup for my car. ive been hearing that the factory ...

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am Firehawk

Question turbo questions..

ok so im working on putting together a twin turbo setup for my car. ive been hearing that the factory manifolds are just as good as any to hook up the turbo piping to. where do i get the right flange to connect them?

also, do i need anything more than just to upgrade my fuel pump to 255lph and higher gph fuel injectors(42lb be enough or do i need 60lb)?.. i searched and found the post about the fuel injector calculator, and i came up with 43lbs. since i need higher lb injectors, dont i need a fuel pressure regulator with the boost input?

ill be running 8lb wastegates, but i have an intercooler, so im figuring ill only get about 5 or 6 lbs at the intake. do i need a boost controller if thats the case? i've also heard that a boost retard timing module is a good idea, and from some, ive heard that its pretty much required.

oh.. and one more.. kinda random for this thread... but is there anything better about diamond style subframe connectors as opposed to just straight tubular?... is it a good idea to weld <and> bolt them in(im guessing you would just buy bolt-ins and have them welded after install?..)?

sorry i know this is alotta crap to ask but im just trying to make sure i have all the angles covered here.

blue
    89 Camaro RS

Quote Originally Posted by lw.jordan View Post
    ok so im working on putting together a twin turbo setup for my car. ive been hearing that the factory manifolds are just as good as any to hook up the turbo piping to. where do i get the right flange to connect them?

also, do i need anything more than just to upgrade my fuel pump to 255lph and higher gph fuel injectors(42lb be enough or do i need 60lb)?.. i searched and found the post about the fuel injector calculator, and i came up with 43lbs. since i need higher lb injectors, dont i need a fuel pressure regulator with the boost input?

ill be running 8lb wastegates, but i have an intercooler, so im figuring ill only get about 5 or 6 lbs at the intake. do i need a boost controller if thats the case? i've also heard that a boost retard timing module is a good idea, and from some, ive heard that its pretty much required.

oh.. and one more.. kinda random for this thread... but is there anything better about diamond style subframe connectors as opposed to just straight tubular?... is it a good idea to weld <and> bolt them in(im guessing you would just buy bolt-ins and have them welded after install?..)?

sorry i know this is alotta crap to ask but im just trying to make sure i have all the angles covered here.
    u should not lose any boost threw the intercooler,maybe .5 psi tops if u have an adequately sized intercooler
    u can use a boost controller to bring the boost up higher if u like,what i like to do is run a very light wastegate spring i.e. a 3 pound wastegate spring and a boost controller to bring boost upto the desired level.the advantage of doing this is if u ever have a problem u can drop the boost way down to 3 pounds instead of 7-8 etc.
    ur fuel injectors will be determined by how much power the setup makes, im quessing u will prolly need 60# injectors.
    as far aa a retard box yes its a good idea, but if u can tune it to work in the stock ecm u shouldnt need one

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am Firehawk

ok if i do the lighter springs in the wastegates, do i need two separate boost controllers, or can i just use one with a splitter going to both wastegates?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Not sure if you need to get 60# injectors.....unless of course you're going to keep upgrading and such......the 42# should be fine.....definatly upgrade the fuel pump.......shouldn't lose too much thru the intercooler but remember....an air to air intercooler is only going to take it down to ambient temperatures.....meaning if it's 100 degrees outside then you're looking at probably air inlet temps about 10 to 20 degrees highter than that......just a thought.....that is why some guys go with a water to air intercooler or methanol injection........as for the subframe connectors....pretty much any of them out there are good to get the job done....I just prefer the weld on versions instead of the bolt ons........just my preference....

Thread Information