Turbo questions.

This is a discussion on Turbo questions. within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; wow i have not posted here in forever ! sorry guys i bought a 08 R6 so ive been in ...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Turbo questions.

wow i have not posted here in forever ! sorry guys i bought a 08 R6 so ive been in bike world for a while , but now im back in the Camaro boat

ok so my question is , i have been saving up some money for a little while now , with no real plan for it , so i figure why not blow it on the good ol camaro ? long story short , i want to twin turbo the LS1 , but i have never worked with a turbo V8 before , only turbo 4 cylinders (KA24et) i wana know how reliable the ls1 will be with a mild turbo set up , bottom end will be rebuilt of course , and also i wanted to know what would be more cost friendly , going with a kit from a manufacture ( HPproformance or something similar) or piecing a kit together my self ?

i thought it would be wise to ask some of you forced induction gurus on the site before i burn a big hole in my walled

thanks in advance !

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

to the admin , sorry for the double post

RED

All depends what you want out of your car , last year i did 7 turbo kits , 3 of them where twin turbo and 4 single turbo kits
    The twins made awsum power from 1500 to 4000 but then fellover from there , whereas the singles great power from 2500 right through 6500rpm

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by mcefab View Post
    All depends what you want out of your car , last year i did 7 turbo kits , 3 of them where twin turbo and 4 single turbo kits
    The twins made awsum power from 1500 to 4000 but then fellover from there , whereas the singles great power from 2500 right through 6500rpm
    Sounds like the twins were just much too small for the application unless that was the intended result...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

hmmm so ur saying a single turbo will make more power ? , and im assuming it will be cheaper . as in u only have to buy one turbo , but how big of a turbo do u need for a good single set up ? like a 60 mm or are we talking bigger ?

red
    1998 Z28

now that sounds alittle off to me ( just puttin in my 2 cents) but if u had a single turbo u think it would spool quicker making it snappier at the lower rpms and losing power up high but lets say u ran a twin setup u think it would be best up high and in mid range...sounds to me like we arnt getting the whole story with those kits... im not doughting u im just thinking we r missing something in the example

RED

Ok here is what i use and why

99% of the cars i build are for street use only so with the twin kit i use garret gt2871 because the give good bottom end response and make around 450rwhp on 10psi

single kit i use garret gt40 which good bottom end and midrange power and makes around 500rwhp @10psi

big single using garret t51 good midrange and big top end power 600rwhp @10psi

these result are all stock 6lt engines

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by blindboy2k1 View Post
    wow i have not posted here in forever ! sorry guys i bought a 08 R6 so ive been in bike world for a while , but now im back in the Camaro boat

ok so my question is , i have been saving up some money for a little while now , with no real plan for it , so i figure why not blow it on the good ol camaro ? long story short , i want to twin turbo the LS1 , but i have never worked with a turbo V8 before , only turbo 4 cylinders (KA24et) i wana know how reliable the ls1 will be with a mild turbo set up , bottom end will be rebuilt of course , and also i wanted to know what would be more cost friendly , going with a kit from a manufacture ( HPproformance or something similar) or piecing a kit together my self ?

i thought it would be wise to ask some of you forced induction gurus on the site before i burn a big hole in my walled

thanks in advance !
    build it yourself,way more cost effective you can run 6-8 psi on that ls1 without mods reliably.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Sounds like the twins were just much too small for the application unless that was the intended result...
    I have to agree i use two gt35s they pull right up to the redline and are good to at least 30psi,then again who can hold that.

RED

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    I have to agree i use two gt35s they pull right up to the redline and are good to at least 30psi,then again who can hold that.
    i have built one 408ci with twin gt35 it made 932rwhp @16psi but when driving on the street and hit full boost hang on no traction what so ever and it didnt mater what gear you where in

the twin gt28s ran 11.2 @ 128mph in a 4200lb car

sorry for stealin your post. but would a GARRETT T3/T4E with a 58mm comp. wheel, and a .63 A/R and a T3 flange. be idle for around 450- 500rwhp? how does that compare to say a GT40? thanks guys

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by krazykarl454 View Post
    sorry for stealin your post. but would a GARRETT T3/T4E with a 58mm comp. wheel, and a .63 A/R and a T3 flange. be idle for around 450- 500rwhp? how does that compare to say a GT40? thanks guys
    I dont think one of those on a ls motor would be enough air flow,two would be fine.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by mcefab View Post
    i have built one 408ci with twin gt35 it made 932rwhp @16psi but when driving on the street and hit full boost hang on no traction what so ever and it didnt mater what gear you where in

the twin gt28s ran 11.2 @ 128mph in a 4200lb car
    I have ran 18 psi a few times with drag radials on the street car pulled like a damn train,with 13 psi and the setup I have for sale im some place between 700rwh and alil over 800rwh depends on tune thats used by this I mean in street usage on 93 octain I have alot less timing, at the track put some 110 octain in it and give it more timimg and watch it perk right up,like I said before this is a stock bottom end and cam ls2 not some built motor,any car trapping 134 mph and weighing in above 4000lbs is flying at that speed..throw in to the aquasion im still on stock rear end and drag radials.ive had a blast with car past few years on street.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

hey Sarge,would it be too much bother to have a turbo section we can move some of this stuff too,I dont mind answering questions but I would like to sell my own kit as well,,thanks...

Thread Information