black
    2002 trans am

turbo please help!

hey guys i have an 02 trans am with no mods but headers, electric cutouts, a lid and a k&n. Is it wise to purchase a turbo kit for this car without putting anything else in but the kit? Or is it really a necessity to get injectors or a bigger fuel pump or cam or anything else? If i can put just the kit about how much boost can i safely put with the stock pistons? the reason i ask is because i might get a kit for cheap from a friend. i have to go check it out first. anything i should be looking directly at in this kit to make sure im getting a good deal? thanks for the help in advance!

black
    2002 trans am

also would i need to get a tune?

black
    2002 trans am

also would i need to get a tune?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

You would need a high volume fuel pump, larger injectors, a new MAP sensor, and a full tune at the least. Do not drive the car untuned, you're just asking to blow it to pieces.

On the stock engine, you can probably get away with running 8-10PSI at the most. Its all about the tune though, with a bad tune it could blow up at 2PSI, it needs to have the proper fueling and timing dialed in so that it runs properly.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

with the LS1 i think the easiest route is a procharger set up...some guys also run magnacharger.

Silver
    87 Monte SS

I used to work at a forced induction specialty shop, and yes you will definitely need a tune, you shouldn't really even start it without tuning it. We always used to swap injectors and put in booster pumps just inline, they just boosted the pressure a bit more. You might be able to do without the injectors, but I think you will probably need to address the pressure. We used to run stock LS1s at 9 psi to be safe, they can probably take 12 and be fine, but we didn't want to risk an engine. At any rate you may want to find a shop that specializes in LS1s and ask them some questions. But when you get it dyno-tuned, they will adjust your boost if it's running too lean at all. Make sure you use a good shop, the tune is where half the power is.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

You can't really do that in a 4th gen other than super expensive small system no? Turbo or centrifical are the way to go

black
    2002 trans am

thanks everyone i really appreciate the help!

black
    2002 trans am

thanks man that helps alot i really appreciate the help!

white
    2000 Z28

rule of thumb has been 8 psi on stock internals. fuel system is a must though. stock injectors are maxed pretty quick with mild n a set ups. and boosted set ups need more fuel than most stock cubed n a set ups. tune is a downright must with set ups that are beyond bolt ons

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    rule of thumb has been 8 psi on stock internals. fuel system is a must though. stock injectors are maxed pretty quick with mild n a set ups. and boosted set ups need more fuel than most stock cubed n a set ups. tune is a downright must with set ups that are beyond bolt ons
    I agree with the fuel system and the tune,I have ran a stock ls1 an 04 on 15.3 psi boost,damn thing flew,so when i hear all this BS about 8 psi I say hogwash..this was on 93 street gas,intercooled of course.I also ran my stock ls2 similar setup on 13-15 psi for 3 seasons,I have the logs of where I tuned the cars,and it shows the psi as well as the cars vin tag.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin78transams View Post
    hey guys i have an 02 trans am with no mods but headers, electric cutouts, a lid and a k&n. Is it wise to purchase a turbo kit for this car without putting anything else in but the kit? Or is it really a necessity to get injectors or a bigger fuel pump or cam or anything else? If i can put just the kit about how much boost can i safely put with the stock pistons? the reason i ask is because i might get a kit for cheap from a friend. i have to go check it out first. anything i should be looking directly at in this kit to make sure im getting a good deal? thanks for the help in advance!
    I suggest you get a intercooler,injectors,a fuel system upgrade,what exactly are your goals for this setup,everything depends on where you want to go with this and the psi you want,keep in mind the more power you make, more you will want, damn bug is addicting.pm me if you want with your answer ill help.

Thread Information