Results 1 to 11 of 11

Turbo help

This is a discussion on Turbo help within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so on a stock ls1 motor getting a sts turbo kit that boost like 5-7psi and creates around 450hp. what ...

  1. #1
    whenwillthislifegetbetter slim420832002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Age
    33
    Posts
    968

    black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

    Turbo help

    so on a stock ls1 motor getting a sts turbo kit that boost like 5-7psi and creates around 450hp. what kind of mods are needed with just that or could u run stock with couple bolt ons such as, header, exhaust, lid, fast 90/90, injectors and rails, fuel pump, and short throw?

  2. #2
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by slim420832002 View Post
    so on a stock ls1 motor getting a sts turbo kit that boost like 5-7psi and creates around 450hp. what kind of mods are needed with just that or could u run stock with couple bolt ons such as, header, exhaust, lid, fast 90/90, injectors and rails, fuel pump, and short throw?
    you'll need the stuff you listed... dyno tune is needed... a new rear if you have the stocker... also don't go with gears like 4:10's... stock gears are great for turbos... the instal can be done your self with little problems...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Age
    54
    Posts
    44

    White
    2002 Camaro SS

    You won't use the lid. You don't need or want the headers, exhaust, or FAST stuff. I'd sell those things and use it for the stuff you need.

  4. #4
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    what turbo diameter are we talking about here?

  5. #5
    whenwillthislifegetbetter slim420832002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Age
    33
    Posts
    968

    black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    what turbo diameter are we talking about here?
    i dont know what size it is all as i know is i found a sts turbo kit online somewhere which stock motor boosts to 450

  6. #6
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    I would steer clear of the STS kits! Many are having oiling issues. I've put on a couple and even built a rear mount system on my car......well....after a fried turbo and endless problems later I've given up on them! The problem is they rely on a electric pump to get the oil from the back of the car to the front.......what ends up happening is during hard acceleration you can't get the oil out fast enough and it ends up getting into the intake/exhaust tubing!!!! Don't take my word for it though.....do a google search on STS oiling issues and you'll find plenty of people having the same problem. I know a couple of companies that have stopped selling them because of the issues. I will not do another one that's for sure! Your best bet is to put it up front where it belongs.....I'll have some photos of mine up soon........

  7. #7
    whenwillthislifegetbetter slim420832002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Age
    33
    Posts
    968

    black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

    Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    I would steer clear of the STS kits! Many are having oiling issues. I've put on a couple and even built a rear mount system on my car......well....after a fried turbo and endless problems later I've given up on them! The problem is they rely on a electric pump to get the oil from the back of the car to the front.......what ends up happening is during hard acceleration you can't get the oil out fast enough and it ends up getting into the intake/exhaust tubing!!!! Don't take my word for it though.....do a google search on STS oiling issues and you'll find plenty of people having the same problem. I know a couple of companies that have stopped selling them because of the issues. I will not do another one that's for sure! Your best bet is to put it up front where it belongs.....I'll have some photos of mine up soon........
    k thanx much for the info

  8. #8
    whenwillthislifegetbetter slim420832002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Age
    33
    Posts
    968

    black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

    and also in all actuality i think im gonna build a ls7 stroker motor instead and go n/a 700hp that shouldnt be that hard to get those numbers

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Age
    54
    Posts
    44

    White
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by slim420832002 View Post
    and also in all actuality i think im gonna build a ls7 stroker motor instead and go n/a 700hp that shouldnt be that hard to get those numbers
    Driveability will suffer unless you're spraying. Look into the APS twin turbo kit. That would cost less, could make more power in the long run and be daily driveable. And, unlike a front mount, would keep all accessories and a nice engine bay.

  10. #10
    whenwillthislifegetbetter slim420832002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Age
    33
    Posts
    968

    black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

    Quote Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
    Driveability will suffer unless you're spraying. Look into the APS twin turbo kit. That would cost less, could make more power in the long run and be daily driveable. And, unlike a front mount, would keep all accessories and a nice engine bay.
    well thats an idea i just like the idea of starting 150hp more so less strain on the motor wit mods and less mods to get there thats what im lookin at. and the life of motor

  11. #11
    Junior Member exorcized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1

    Sebring Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

    Hey whats up. Hey if you still want some answers about the sts kit, shoot me a private, here is a picture of an sts camaro that makes 600rwhp.

    here is a video too by the way.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. turbo ls 240sx vs turbo mustang + video
    By Sleeper101 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM
  2. Wanted: Trade my HUGE turbo for your smaller turbo
    By Iknowthefuture in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 06:47 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 07:50 AM
  4. Pontiac Firebird Turbo Installation - Subterranean Turbo System
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 07:16 PM
  5. camaro turbo vs 3000gt turbo
    By GONZO SS in forum Multimedia Section
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 07:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •