Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am Firehawk

turbo + exhaust question

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the FI scene; I've been piecing together a turbo system for a little while now. I only have a few things left as far as the turbo install is concerned, but I would really like to get good sound out of my car as well as the benefit of the FI. I know the first thing most of you will say is, if i want FI and sound, go pro instead of turbo; but this is the path i have chosen and i'd like to see it through.
    My question is this.. I'm looking at a rear mount setup, all custom, but i would really like to have the pacesetter LTs with TSP true duals and sweet thunder mufflers. I have one turbo with a .96 turbine ar and .70 compressor. Is there any way to make this work? I know the first thing that is gonna have to go is the X pipe. I figure that will have to be replaced with an ORY, but i would still like to have the sweet thunder sound.
    Anyone have any ideas on this?
    My first thought was to have the exhaust from the turbo go through one muffler, then the wastegate go through the other. Will there be room for all that crap? Another thought was to have the wastegate feed back into the same pipe downstream of the turbo and go through a single muffler.
    Should i be worried about the pressure drop through the muffler also?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Well, first I wouldn't put the turbo in the back. Just too many issues that would make the thing more costly to fix in the long run (oil return and such). If it were me, and I did, put the turbo up front. I wouldn't run headers on a turbo, stick with the manifolds and save the money. You could run the exhaust side back and put a resonator in the pipe and you'd have that "muscle car" sound. About the only thing I'd look at is the .96 ar.....it might come in too soon with that but you never know...

I'm actually moving up to Langley here in about three weeks....when I get the car there maybe I can show you my set up...

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am Firehawk

ahh crap man.. i forgot to update my info on the forum. i moved to arkansas about four months ago.

anyway..

i hear 6.0l truck headers will swap around and bolt right up. i already have an electric oil pump to take care of the bearing. the main reason i was thinking of running a rear mount setup was to keep my under hood temps from skyrocketing. also with swapping the headers around(if it works) ill have to take out my a/c, egr, and smog pump. i also have a battery relocator kit.
    i assume you have an under hood setup?
    would you mind posting or emailing pics of it to me? maybe it will help formulate any change in plans better.
    as far as the resonator goes.. doesnt the GMMG system have just a resonator? i had it on my first TA and it sounds fairly similar to straight pipes but with no raspy high end and very little backfire.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by lw.jordan View Post
    ahh crap man.. i forgot to update my info on the forum. i moved to arkansas about four months ago.

anyway..

i hear 6.0l truck headers will swap around and bolt right up. i already have an electric oil pump to take care of the bearing. the main reason i was thinking of running a rear mount setup was to keep my under hood temps from skyrocketing. also with swapping the headers around(if it works) ill have to take out my a/c, egr, and smog pump. i also have a battery relocator kit.
    i assume you have an under hood setup?
    would you mind posting or emailing pics of it to me? maybe it will help formulate any change in plans better.
    as far as the resonator goes.. doesnt the GMMG system have just a resonator? i had it on my first TA and it sounds fairly similar to straight pipes but with no raspy high end and very little backfire.
    Yep, the 6.0L manifolds will fit. Trust me....you dont want headers on a turbo setup.

Even with an electric pump pulling the oil from the turbo it's still having to pump the oil forward, against the "pull" of the car and such......If it were me, I'd put it up front and keep from the heartache. Trust me on this one....I tried a rear mount setup from a company we'll not talk about and I'll never install another one!!!

I will get you some pics of the setup maybe that can give you some ideas.....Mine is actually setting low so I built a sump so the oil can collect in it and I have a Weldon pump pulling it out and sending it back to the pan.....

Thread Information