Thread: Turbo?

black
    1998 Camaro SS

Turbo?

hey guys i was just lookin for some information about a turbo for my 98 ss. i heard that running 5 psi on stock engine wouldnt hurt it. i was also wondering what you guys think the best kit thats available and who has the best prices for the kits. thanks.......john

gold
    2000 honder accord

aps kit, and 5lbs should be really safe with a good tune, 8-9 with a good tune would still be pretty reasonable.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

APS iMO has by far the best turbo kits. Just pricey you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by WS6ICK2K; 10-14-2008 at 05:29 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 00WS6BlueMetallic View Post
    ASP iMO has by far the best turbo kits. Just pricey you get what you pay for.
    who / what is ASP? Link?

red
    1999 Firehawk

turbo technology makes a nice kit.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

+1, Turbo Tech makes AWESOME kits that last the long haul and make awesome numbers on the track and the dyno.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I know who APS is, reading your comment (you said ASP) and saying they were "pricey" and had "(by far) the best kits", I thought you meant some other company...

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

APS iMO has by far the best turbo kits. Just pricey you get what you pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I know who APS is, reading your comment (you said ASP) and saying they were "pricey" and had "(by far) the best kits", I thought you meant some other company...
    Until they fix the problem of their Intake Tubes sucking shut, I'm not buying one...I'm not going to spend $6-7k on a system that will destroy itself and then have the company not replace the broken parts (ie: turbos and the intake tubes).

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

they have certainly had more than their share of failed turbos...

I don't know why TTi is so commonly overlooked. They are a solid company, have kits in-stock, and their kits PREFORM!

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

sorry I must have got the letter mixed up.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

no troubles,

APS's kits should be around for the long haul though, having that nice cast iron mani

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Newb Question, for a turbo, you would have to use manifolds, insted of headers correct?
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    Newb Question, for a turbo, you would have to use manifolds, insted of headers correct?
    Depends on the kit, but normally, yes...off the top of my head, the STS Kit you can use headers cause the turbo is in the rear of the car.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

no troubles,

APS's kits should be around for the long haul though, having that nice cast iron mani
    Frost I was wondering what kind of turbo kit you run the TTi or something different?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have the PTK/PTS setup, but if I did it all over again, it would be the TTi race kit.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I have the PTK/PTS setup, but if I did it all over again, it would be the TTi race kit.
    I like my AC to much for the race kit lol. Appreciate the info seems to be a very good company.

White
    2001 Trans Am

found a turbo kit on ebay for $800 bucks you guys tink its crap or what??

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mudnyeri View Post
    found a turbo kit on ebay for $800 bucks you guys tink its crap or what??

Ima guess its one of those T3/T4 turbos?
    The kits are good, I would get a kit and order a name brand turbo or two

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Well have aps kit not running yet. Can say that overall the quality appears awesome .You can look over my pics on my install post.
    Now no system is perfect. Sts had /has problems but have redesigned their kit. Still know someone with the old kit that is pretty happy. Ati has had lots of problems in the past..belt slippage, problemw with the head units and lets not forget lemon makes like paxton..is powerdyne still in business..
    and you also have companies that go down with your money..incon...I lost 2000 to gmr speed. ..problems apparently with OFI think hi flo was also bad news for people and there have been others.

Aps shipped ahead of schedule ,the kit is very complete ,the manual is great.The install is brutal and can see how mistakes in install could cause some of the problems being reported.
    Few possible areas that might cause problems..well you can accidentally leave or not notice the plugs in the bottom of the aps turbo oil returns. You can put the fitting on right over the plastic plug and you can bet not having any oil go to that drail will make those turbos blow smoke out like crazy..wonder if that is causing some problems. Also wonder if people do the required pcv mod. If they put the one way valve in backwards. If they have excessive crankcase pressure. Some guys are running the kit on stock motors and very possibly the smoke they see out the back is from blown ringlands on their stock engine. They should compression test or leakdown test bet some of these blown turbos are blown engines!

And most of the time a shot turbo don't blow oil.It might hit the housing and make horrible sounds or not boost up athough again you can easily have boost leaks causing that problem..And I have had same mits turbos blow oil terrible on my talons from crankcase venting problems and then still work fine when the problem was corrected.
    the mits 20g are normally super tought turbos with great reliability rep.

Now there can be some duds but you see almost no gto or c5 guys crying over blown up turbos. You see a lot more f body guys I took a poll but people were saying they had dud turbos that didn't even have a kit or were maybe third person accounts ,friend of a friend type stuff as well.
    Why don't the gto or c5 have problems? They are identical turbos. Maybe inlets sucking shut is one reason.
    Agree aps should take care of it, should send free replacement ducts which they are making now out. But they want like 250 plus shipping ,pretty pricey from australia. I plan on stenting my pipes likely. Should be relatively easy. Also aftermarket sways hit the pipes but that looks to be easy fix. And some cars overheat a bit but wondering if that is not mistake in install. They wrap both sides of the intercooler in cardboard. Maybe some are forgetting to take it out it would be easy to do when you are fitting it.And it sure would block airflow.

Anyway the aps kit is awesome . I will likely send out my turbos for upgrade if they turn out to be duds. Company on gto forum is doing that.

Thread Information