red
    02 camaro ss 35th anniver

Tuning Help Needed

hELLO,

I'm looking for some one to help go thru this jet tune software and help me adjust my super charged 2002 camaro. I need to know what settings should be tuned and to what level. I have a basic tune in it now, but it need some fine adjusting I think.

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

You will need a wide band o2 sensor before you do any thing. You need to ensure the AFR is at a safe level. If it's safe then you can dial it in to the correct levels.14.7 for cruising and 11.8-12.5 for PE, (Power enrichment).The actual ratio will vary, depending on how much boost you have and to some point personal preference. Then you can tune for timing. Do you have scanning software to monitor knock? That is as important as the wide band. Knock will kill the motor fast. You will want to reduce timing where you get knock. Knock can also occur from to much or to little fuel, so getting the fueling correct is very important. Myself I switched to E-85. This fuel is 105 octane and very resistant to knock. It can be the difference between a working motor and a broken one.
    Good luck

red

Quote Originally Posted by vaticano View Post
    You will need a wide band o2 sensor before you do any thing. You need to ensure the AFR is at a safe level. If it's safe then you can dial it in to the correct levels.14.7 for cruising and 11.8-12.5 for PE, (Power enrichment).The actual ratio will vary, depending on how much boost you have and to some point personal preference. Then you can tune for timing. Do you have scanning software to monitor knock? That is as important as the wide band. Knock will kill the motor fast. You will want to reduce timing where you get knock. Knock can also occur from to much or to little fuel, so getting the fueling correct is very important. Myself I switched to E-85. This fuel is 105 octane and very resistant to knock. It can be the difference between a working motor and a broken one.
    Good luck
    I have my AFR set at 14.7. Why do I need a wide band 02 sensor? I have a Air/Fuel meter installed which shows it going rich(blue bars) only the first blue bar at idle and under load. Where should my spark setting be at? The jet tune has max spark set at 46.01.

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Your air fuel meter will not tell the exact AFR. It can get you close but with Forced Induction close leads to complications. You need to know exatly what the AFR is, not just if it rich or lean.

What you set your AFR at will mean nothing if the rest of the tune is not correct.
    It sounds like you are running rich at idle. That won't hurt anything but it will waste gas and may cause some drivablity issues.

The best way to adjust the timing is on a dyno. Some peolpe set timing by monitoring the KR (Knock Retard). Increasing timing until they get KR with the scanning software. Then backing it off 1 or 2 deg. This is not the way to do it. If you use a dyno you can check the dyno read out/ graph and adjust timing up until you lose power then back it off.
    I can't really say where to adjust timing since I don't know what your horsepower curve looks like, or any data to warrant a change. There are likely some areas that would benefit from more timing and others that need less. You will have more timing at lower airflow and rpm and that will decrease as rpm and air flow increase. The timing in the upper ranges is the most importantant becuase the engine moves so fast if it starts knocking it will brake.

Monitoring KR (Knock Retard) is of utmost importance. I don't know much about the Jet tuner, but it is only a tuning tool. You need to be able to monitor what is going on, I highly reccomend you buy a scan tool.

EFI Live or HP Tuners both offer just the scan tool. You should go out and buy the full versions of one these tuner softwares, the hand held tuners are very limited. Sell the jet to someone cut your loses and buy EFI Live or HP Tuners, you won't be sorry.

Oh and buy a wideband o2, there are some that are under $200 and will incorporate into the tuning software for easier tuning. In all it will cost you about $800 for this stuff, but consider what it will cost you to blow up the motor.

Good Luck

red

Thanks Alot. I have an anppointment with a my tuning guy on Monday.

gold
    2002 trans am ws6

does anyone have any experience with the EFI live v7? i need a ton of advice!

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Your best resorce will be the EFI LIve forum. http://forum.efilive.com/
    Take your time and learn as much as you can take notes incase you forget and don't change to much at one time.

Thread Information