blk
    99 ss camero

trying to help a turbo friend,needyour ideas

A friend of mine was driving along in his sts turbo 99 ss when the motor rpms went nutts . he shut it off admist a bunch of smoke . tried to start it again and the rpms went nutts again . today he pulled things apart to see the throttle body and the blade was closed . .?/// tries to staRT IT AND IT STILL GOES NUTS??????? are 99s drive by wire ? what do you guys think is wrong . or is there anyone in san andreas CA. or near there that might be able to help my buddy out . he just got this car and loves it . I am 600miles away. thanx in advance for any help

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

You should look at the tb when the engine is on and see if it is open, which i doubt. What he probably has is a large hole in the intake, that will definitely cause that to happen. How high up does the rpm go? Check the turbo out, see if it did not eat dust and sent a piece of itself flying into the intake creating some kinds of a whole.

Where did the smoke come from???

blk
    99 ss camero

hi, thanx for the responce . so a hole on the intake could cause this ? wow . he said he was just driving along and the rpms went nuts. do these have drive by wire throttle/? on the smoke he said it was comming out the exhaust . that leads me to believe the rs got really high. again I am trying to help someone 600 miles away . hes agood guy with his first hot rod . i wish I was closed to help hi out . could i put him in touch with you ? please pm me if thats ok . again thankyou so much for taking the time to help . your allright

teal

what color was the smoke? Maybe he lifted a head, that is what i am leaning torwards right now.

teal

oh and i can't send you pms and you can't send them either until you post more.

blk
    99 ss camero

I just got off the phone with him and he said the smoke was black . i was wondering if the ck valve for the oiling setup (sts) stuck could that cause all the smoke . also had him ck the oil and cooling system and he said they were ok . the oil doesnt look like a chocolate milkshake . but you could be right about the headgasket . have a buddy thats going to come by with an obd2 scan tool to ck stuff . thought maybe the tps blew ? but i am just grasping at straws . depending on what the scanner finds I may have to hopp in one of my zr1s and go for a 600 mile cruize. which isnt all that bad .need to blow the car out alittle . what do you think of the sts set-ups have been thinking of trying to put one on one of the zr1s. sure would be easier than trying to fabone in that cramped engine bay

Thread Information