Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    00 z28

thrown rod, need to rebuild. help!

i need to know how to find out what kind of pistons rods and rings i need to buy for my rebuild to hold more boost than the stock 8lbs. im not sure if i want to stroke it, but what are my options here on a tight budget?

red
    00 z28

bump. i never can get help from this site :-(

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Patience....it is a Saturday night. Most people are taking advantage of the good weather. Someone with knowledge in this area will post up soon. I don't have experience with rebuilding engines to handle more boost, I only build them to make power n/a. Don't want to advise you the wrong way. I can tell you that a tight budget and rebuilding an engine don't mix. Unless your talking the government type of tight budget...

red
    00 z28

i just dont want to put it back together stock want it to handle 10-12lbs and maybe stroke it if my crank is bad. i need to know how much pistons, rings, rods, everything i would need to do the bottom end and where i would want to buy from, and what im expecting to spend.......... .... lol i dont want a racecar just want it to be fast and reliable im going to swap back to my moderate cam it runs too much like a racecar with the new one lol.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

texas speed
    If I remember correctly the stock crankshaft is good for 600hp.

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

NO NO NO!, i know LS1 cranks in turbo cars holding over 1,000 HP , and at the LSX shoot out one car was making 1,400 HP on the stock crank, i know hard to believe but its 100% true.

OK if your crank and block are still good, Use them, get your self a set of Eagle 6.125 H beams, and diamond -8.6cc boost pistons. The Diamond piston sets come with rings and pins if you ask. run your stock caps , but i would use a DM girdle , your bottom end will be super strong! i hope this helps u.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Correct, the stock crank have been taken over 1000 HP and guys deep into the single digits.

Diamond, Wiseco and Mahle are all good pistons. I read a thread a few weeks ago about a Mahle piston failing under some pretty high boost levels. But the piston being used wasnt correct for the application.

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

O yeah I forgot JE makes a kick ass boost Piston , I have a set for my LS2 , They look a bit better than the Diamonds , The JE's have coated skirts

red
    00 z28

i said budget anything that says diamonds isnt in my budget lol. im not sure if my stock crank is still good, so until i have the money for the forged parts i wanna use and the extra money for the stroker crank i wont pull it apart. how much money am i going to have in a set of pistons rods bearings or w.e and rings all ready for as much boost i can throw at it. fyi im running stock heads

red
    00 z28

oh yeah and how much is that crank to make my 383? how much boost does my alum. block hold? 12?

red
    00 z28

and now i need a damn tranny to hold the power lol this sucks guys

red
    00 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy View Post
    NO NO NO!, i know LS1 cranks in turbo cars holding over 1,000 HP , and at the LSX shoot out one car was making 1,400 HP on the stock crank, i know hard to believe but its 100% true.

OK if your crank and block are still good, Use them, get your self a set of Eagle 6.125 H beams, and diamond -8.6cc boost pistons. The Diamond piston sets come with rings and pins if you ask. run your stock caps , but i would use a DM girdle , your bottom end will be super strong! i hope this helps u.
    . run your stock caps , but i would use a DM girdle what the hell does that meat caps and DM girdle?
    none of your Fbody gangster talk lol

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

Yes Stock caps with DM girdle, i have one when your ready,

OK when it comes to rebuilds, Forging a LS motor for boost there really isnt much of a budget,

For get 383 becaose that will require a new after market crankshaft and extra aline bore machine work, this alone could double the price of a short block.

Budget short block = stock block and crank & caps if your motor is still ok.

Parts you will need: good boost pistons, eagle/callies/scat H beam rods, King-race bearnings, ported LS6 or SLP oil pump kit with double roller timming chain kit.

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

O yeah i have a King bearing set if u need it

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy View Post

Do the mains need to be align bored with the addition of the DM girdle and ARP main studs?

red
    00 z28

Yes Stock caps with DM girdle?????????? what does caps and girdle mean?!?!? and why do i need this? how much hp can i expect to see if i use the stock crank from 8-12lbs of boost?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Correct, the stock crank have been taken over 1000 HP and guys deep into the single digits.

Diamond, Wiseco and Mahle are all good pistons. I read a thread a few weeks ago about a Mahle piston failing under some pretty high boost levels. But the piston being used wasnt correct for the application.
    Ive seen JE and diamond burn up as well,cant blame the piston if something went amuck elsewheres,ran the stock ls2 for three years puting 13-18 psi through ALL stock internals,motor is still in perfect running shape,ready to be put back to use some day.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by boosted z View Post
    Yes Stock caps with DM girdle?????????? what does caps and girdle mean?!?!? and why do i need this? how much hp can i expect to see if i use the stock crank from 8-12lbs of boost?
    with that boost should see in the upwards of 650ish on the higher boost

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Do the mains need to be align bored with the addition of the DM girdle and ARP main studs?
    no, that bolts right in the bottom of the motor,it is a simple install comes with the studs and washers to space the windage tray away from the crank.

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    No!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information