arctic white
    97 firebird

supercharger for v6, 97 firebird engine help!

where can i get a supercharger to fit my 1997 v6 firebird?? and how much would it cost? thanks appreciate any help

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I'm wondering if the Grand Prix didn't have a supercharger on it in 97......I know the 98's did....and I believe that it's the same platform as your v-6.....not 100 percent on this but might be worth checking out.....if you can't find one you can always throw a turbo on it....

arctic white
    97 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    I'm wondering if the Grand Prix didn't have a supercharger on it in 97......I know the 98's did....and I believe that it's the same platform as your v-6.....not 100 percent on this but might be worth checking out.....if you can't find one you can always throw a turbo on it....

would a 3.8L v6 mustang turbo fit right in a 3.8L pontiac firebird? thanks

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

It would just have to be fabbed up......nothing major......I believe those have a T-3 flange so it's pretty standard......

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Its really not worth it though. With what you would spend on a supercharger, you could sell you car and get a cheap LT or LS1 car.

On another note though, I've been told the STS turbos will work without much modification at all...

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I wouldn't give you a pot to piss in for a STS kit. I've always said, that you stay away from those......too many issues with them! But you have a valid point about just buying a LS or LT motor.....you could just drop one of those in and be under what it would cost you to go this route.....of course....once he does that he'll want to go faster and then he'll want to slap a turbo or supercharger on it and bam.....he's hooked....either way....good luck

Black
    1994 Firebird Formula

I learned really early into my automotive hobby to just start with the platform you want. The biggest excuse is you don't have the money. Well you don't have the money to throw away on a worthless engine either. That V6 with turbo or supercharger will only get you as fast as a mild NA 350.

I don't know what emissions are like where you live, but a cheaper way to go other than LT or LS would be to get that GM crate engine that is 290hp and throw a carb on it. I just saw an Ls2 going for 2500 and and LS1 for 1500 used though.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

procharger makes a centrifugal kit. no roots mount. the GTP supercharger has a throttle body on the side of it. since its a front wheel drive vehicle. it is the same 3800 Series II block though.

Theres a write-up somewhere on the internet from a guy who did it. but it was very costly and not very effective, it only produces a few pounds of boost.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

'97 Grand Prix GTP's are Supercharged, but the throttle body is at the back of the blower, meaning it would be pointing towards your firewall, so it won't work.

However, the 3800 Series II has a lot of potential with F/I if you do it right. The bottom end is damn near bulletproof, there is one on the Grand Prix Forums making 563WHP with a Whipple charger, stock block. An intercooled turbo kit would get you to 400WHP without too much trouble.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Theres a guy ive seen somewhere, i think hes a member here. hes got a 38 pushin 800HP, i think its an 8 or 9 second car, claims to have a stock bottom end, but i think thats about all thats stock.

arctic white
    97 firebird

thanks so i can get one for my car then and how much you think it would be around?

Thread Information