Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

supercharger or turbo

This is a discussion on supercharger or turbo within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SydneyACE I've been researching Forced Induction for a while now. What you choose should be based on ...

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyACE View Post
    I've been researching Forced Induction for a while now. What you choose should be based on what you want in terms of power delivery. When and how the power comes on has everything to do with which type of FI you choose.

In general it goes something like this:

Possitive displacement SC's (think Magnacharger, Kenne Bell, Whipple ect.) make instant torque, and cary uniform power to redline. This is good for lots of punch at low RPM, but traction can be an issue. PD kits are about the same price as Centri. kits, and are IMO the easiest to install.

Centrifugal SC's (think Procharger, Vortech, Paxton, ect.) make boost in direct relation to RPM. So, at low RPM there is very little boost, and at high RPM there is a lot more. Your power curve will be much more progressive with little added torque/hp at low RPM and lots of power as the RPMs rise. Centri. kits are about the same price as PD kits, but are a little harder to install.

Turbos (think STS, APS, ect.) build boost in relation to throttle position and RPM. Turbos can make decent boost at low RPM but you have to mash the pedal a bit to spool them up, and there is a lag. With a V-8 the lag is much less of a problem than guys with I-4s have (becaus the V-8 has more torque to beggin with). At high RPM the turbos generally stay spooled so lag isn't an issue. Turbo kits are generally the most expensive and hardest to install.

So, it really depends on your preference. Do you want to be able to mash it and go at low RPM? Go PD (pos disp). Do you like reving up the motor for power? Go Centri. Do you like it somewhere in-between? Maybe turbo?

There is a lot more variables too such as cam selection, and engine displacement. Hopefully this helps you a little.
    spot on, and flawless post that is the basics of the mechanical forced induction.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

I had a D-1SC kit on my car as of last week ready for tune and go, but I decided to pull it when I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a rare Incon twin turbo kit. I think the Procharger might have been easier and possibly more reliable, but my car was really set up for a turbo so I decided to stick with that.

As far as which one is best for your setup, I would say it mostly depends on 3 things, transmission (auto or M6), power goals (present and future), car use (drag, road course, street race, fast DD) and of course budget.

If you have an M6, I would strongly advise the Procharger since a turbo will have to re-spool every time you shift. An auto with a turbo, however, will pull like a freight train until you pull on the rains.

As for power goals and budget, a turbo makes more power, but at a slightly higher cost. Blowers cost less and have much lower maintenance, but if you plan on going onto BIG power in the future, you will be glad you chose the turbo.

If you want a wicked straight line car, turbo wins hands down, however, while superchargers have a paralytic loss due to their reliance on the motor to turn them, turbos can get hot as hell and sometimes act up on the street on hot days or in heavy stop and go traffic. Also, a supercharger is a little easier to control being that it comes on gradually and increases with engine RPM (feels like a smooth camming big block). A turbo can be as quiet as a mouse, until you wake it up, then it comes on all at once and can make traction an instant problem. If you long to go fast around corners, don't even think of giving a turbo car any more than half throttle or you will find yourself in a ditch pretty damn quick. The only thing that controls the power of a supercharger, however, is your right foot. The only exception to this is a rear mount STS turbo kit that has virtually no lag time, but also is only capable of about 8 psi. A D-1SC, for about the same price, can be maxed out to make 16 psi and upwards of 850+rwhp through an M6 with little or no issues.

I have the complete D-1SC kit of for sale now if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by bluebird71; 11-17-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bluebird71 View Post
    I had a D-1SC kit on my car as of last week ready for tune and go, but I decided to pull it when I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a rare Incon twin turbo kit. I think the Procharger might have been easier and possibly more reliable, but my car was really set up for a turbo so I decided to stick with that.

As far as which one is best for your setup, I would say it mostly depends on 3 things, transmission (auto or M6), power goals (present and future), car use (drag, road course, street race, fast DD) and of course budget.

If you have an M6, I would strongly advise the Procharger since a turbo will have to re-spool every time you shift. An auto with a turbo, however, will pull like a freight train until you pull on the rains.

As for power goals and budget, a turbo makes more power, but at a slightly higher cost. Blowers cost less and have much lower maintenance, but if you plan on going onto BIG power in the future, you will be glad you chose the turbo.

If you want a wicked straight line car, turbo wins hands down, however, while superchargers have a paralytic loss due to their reliance on the motor to turn them, turbos can get hot as hell and sometimes act up on the street on hot days or in heavy stop and go traffic. Also, a supercharger is a little easier to control being that it comes on gradually and increases with engine RPM (feels like a smooth camming big block). A turbo can be as quiet as a mouse, until you wake it up, then it comes on all at once and can make traction an instant problem. If you long to go fast around corners, don't even think of giving a turbo car any more than half throttle or you will find yourself in a ditch pretty damn quick. The only thing that controls the power of a supercharger, however, is your right foot. The only exception to this is a rear mount STS turbo kit that has virtually no lag time, but also is only capable of about 8 psi. A D-1SC, for about the same price, can be maxed out to make 16 psi and upwards of 850+rwhp through an M6 with little or no issues.

I have the complete D-1SC kit of for sale now if anyone is interested.
    A lot of good posts in here....

I'd choose a D1SC after all the reading i've done on these topics.

And the A4 will not hold up with much power at all, trust me...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information