Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Supercharger for my '01 Z28

I just recently bought an '01 Z28 and am looking to supercharge it. From the research I've done, the best option seems to be with the Vortech, but I don't really know all that much about superchargers. Just looking for some input as to what you guys would do

I'm looking for a fast, but street-friendly car, so I'm assuming I should go with some sort of twin-screw or roots supercharger for the low-rpm boost.

C6 H/C/N20

I have my close friend doing the same thing to his 2000. He decided to go intercooled Procharger with 8lbs but there was no real difference other than higher output if he ever needed it. Vortech is fine I hear but try many more searches. LS1tech.com has a ton as well as one I started for the same reason. Good luck, you will love it.

Where are you in FL?

white
    2002 z28

just remmeber that everthing and everything that has to be done is not all in cluded. like if the kit cost 6000 there is probly another 2500 worth of stuff including tunning and a lot for install. but could save money doing that your self. but vortech is nice i thik on one of there kits they include a diablo programmer for the tune soo...

South Florida, near Ft Lauderdale. I was also looking at the procharger but I think its quite a bit more expensive than the Vortech, isn't it?

To Greatwhite: I plan to do pretty much all of the installation myself. With the Procharger there seems to be alot more work to make it fit, and I think the Vortech is pretty much just bolt on. Also the guy I bought the car from had already bought a Hypertech programmer for the car that he gave me.

white
    2002 z28

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/ they are also a sponser here soo maybe they can help you , and just make sure with that programmer that you have to get a new tune from them. not sure how that works but i know they can make custom tunes for anything. ****** but all and all the tune is the MOST IMPORTANT THING ON THIS MOD*****,

white
    2002 z28

friend did a blower on his stang and only lasted 5 days then blew up from no tune ( he didnt know ). 7000 for kit- then 2300 for blow up, then did everything again, and was stupid and saw a add for a different pully for like 12-15 boost or something and blew it up again. not trying to scare you just want to make sure you dont make the same mistake that my freind did.

good luck thoe

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

I wouldn't bother S/C the stock motor. You will blow a hypertech piston .
    No but seriously, your better off going N/A with H/C/I/E.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

How fast is "fast"? How friendly is "street friendly"? All of this is subject to opinion. You really should run a lower compression forged bottom end for reliability purposes. Just my $.02 worth. If this is your only means of transportation I'd wait til I had another car to drive.

No, I have another car to get around in, but I got the car more for cruising around in, so I doubt I'll need the high end boost of the centrifugal.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by ldp_frog View Post
    South Florida, near Ft Lauderdale. I was also looking at the procharger but I think its quite a bit more expensive than the Vortech, isn't it?

To Greatwhite: I plan to do pretty much all of the installation myself. With the Procharger there seems to be alot more work to make it fit, and I think the Vortech is pretty much just bolt on. Also the guy I bought the car from had already bought a Hypertech programmer for the car that he gave me.
    Hey you are right near me. Im in Ft lauderdale too. Are you familiar with Dagostino racing? The best local place there is. Here is my buddy's exact quote. It was $7915 with the Procharger kit installed and dyno tuned and it was $7556 instaled with the basic intercooled procharger kit less fuel pump etc but they did thier own custom pump and it was actually cheaper. Here is the site.
    Nori is the guys name.
    http://www.dagostinoracing.com/

I only trust this place. I do think a H/C/N20 will be faster and cheaper even though its not there ALL the time if you run low on N20.

white
    2002 z28

well not to tell you what modd to do but spray sound great gor you, hit it when you want to aned know its there when you need it.

and post above , these kits are made for our applications but blowers really like low comprassian. but a blower is still user freindly bc honestly its a such a low boost for driving but when you want to push it its there. its really what you want to do and how much you want to spend. but im sure after a couple of years of spraying that the cost of bottel fill ups will add to the blower cost soo ,,,

also to add i love superchargers and cant wait to put one in why my car with spray

On the website it says about 6000$ for both the Vortech and the Procharger. I'm assuming the previous quotes were including installation then? I plan to do the installation myself anyway, I'm just not sure of which one to get

white
    2002 z28

well every kit can be somewhat different. was in the same situation as you are. but yea the kit may run with supplied parts but theres a lil more like my friend with stang. after getting charge for tune and couldnt figure with everything is not messing they tryed added other stuff and by the time it was corrected it was injectors and a fuel curve or something soo added the injectors.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by ldp_frog View Post
    On the website it says about 6000$ for both the Vortech and the Procharger. I'm assuming the previous quotes were including installation then? I plan to do the installation myself anyway, I'm just not sure of which one to get

Yea, the price was quoted at 15hrs labor @ $80/hr. The only problem is getting it running to tune it. You can do it yourself and then tow it over and have them write the tune in Diablo and dyno it to confirm the tune. Thats the only way to do it. I would go procharger.

white
    2002 z28

New Injectors: $420
    New Fuel Pump: $255
    New Harmonic Balancer: $450
    Tune: ~A couple hundred
    Fuel Pressure and Boost Gauges and Pillar Pod: $400

hers some from another post that someone gave me

I would also have to do pretty extensive suspension work too wouldnt I?

New Injectors: $420
    New Fuel Pump: $255
    New Harmonic Balancer: $450
    Tune: ~A couple hundred
    Fuel Pressure and Boost Gauges and Pillar Pod: $400
    Is this in addition to the kit that comes with the Procharger? I've also read about people having problems running in hot weather with the procharger. You guys heard anything like that? Cuz I live in Florida so that would be an issue :P

I live in Louisiana and it is hot and humid here too. I run a T Trim Vortech with an aftercooler @ 9psi. I went to have it tuned the other day and it was about 100 degrees with high humidity and the air inlet temps were barely above ambient temperature. As far as low end boost is concerned, if I get on mine the boost comes up instantly. If you drive it at part throttle just cruising around you won't see any boost which is better for engine longevity IMO. I have a built bottem end with a steel crank, rods and blower pistons so I don't know how it would affect a stock motor.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I prefer the Procharger, I didn't want to cut my hood and drill my oil pan.

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I prefer the Procharger, I didn't want to cut my hood and drill my oil pan.
    soo there is no tapping for oil in the PC. ? sorda dumb to blowers but does it have a its own oil system. whats different from the vortech to the PC?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    soo there is no tapping for oil in the PC. ? sorda dumb to blowers but does it have a its own oil system. whats different from the vortech to the PC?
    Correct, its self-contained. Vortech uses air-water cooling. Procharger uses air-air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information