Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Suggestions

This is a discussion on Suggestions within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Im probably going to have about 10 grand to blow once I get back from Korea. Id like to go ...

  1. #1
    Member Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Newport News Va
    Age
    39
    Posts
    578

    Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

    Suggestions

    Im probably going to have about 10 grand to blow once I get back from Korea. Id like to go FI with my 98 but I have concerns on how much the aluminum block can handle. Id like to go with the usual boltons.. Suspension, 12 bolt, Chromoly Driveshaft, Slicks and skinnies, Weight reduction... ect ect... Id like to also do a head/cam swap before I throw a supercherger on. Whats a good head/cam combo for an FI car? How much does it cost to build the bottom end and what parts should I go with? Will the block hold the power?

  2. #2
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    There are several ways to go faster. How fast you go and which method you use depends on how much you want to spend. The cheapest is Nitrous $600+, Heads/Cam $3,600+, Blower/Cam $9,200+, Dyno Tune $450, Roll Bar/Cage $1,400, 'Built' motor $10,000-$26,000 (but the sky's the limit). These are just some rough estimates to get you thinking in the right ballparks, but can vary greatly depending on what else you do at the time and exactly what parts you opt to go with. For example you can spend $1,500 or $4,000 on heads. I have a $550 nitrous kit that I have around $1,000 tied up in so far and haven't even installed it yet. LS1 blocks are pretty tough and capable of handling a lot of hp.
    If you want to go fast be prepared to dig deep or get sponsors with deep pockets. The days of getting a Keith Black 1000 horse Hemi for $5,000 are long gone.
    AND THANK YOU for what you and your brothers and sisters are doing for the rest of us. We appreciate you.
    Last edited by GA Country Boy; 08-20-2006 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added more info
    Michael
    In GA waving from '02 C5 LS1, Z51, D1SC, 60lb injectors,RPM level 5-4L60E, 3:42, Yank 3600, QA1-12 ways, MTI long headers, high flow cats, Borlas, Wilwood, 603rwhp, 542rwtq.(DynoJet 248-C) 10.89@127.57 on street tires, Race Weight 3,640 lbs

  3. #3
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,746

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Well, if you plan on keep your block stock. Adding only a Procharger will get you about 450 rwhp. And should be fairly safe. Since the pistons usually hold up to 500 rwhp.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

    666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

    Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

    Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

  4. #4
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Well, if you plan on keep your block stock. Adding only a Procharger will get you about 450 rwhp. And should be fairly safe. Since the block usually hold up to 500 rwhp.
    I truly hate to disagree with a fellow blower owner, BUT I will quote from "Chevy LS1/LS6 Performance" written by Christopher P. Endres: " When the LS1 arrived in 1997, its aluminum block and cylinder heads were big news. Performance enthusiasts were skeptical, however, regarding its ability to cope with increased power. These concerns have long since been put to rest, as the blocks have proven capable of withstanding in excess of 800 horsepower". Chapter 4, page 37, paragraph 1.

    I have run in excess of 500rwhp (blower) for some time, currently 603rwhp (approx. 735hp flywheel) and have a friend who took his D-1 6-Speed C5 to 9.86 @ 142mph over two years ago which is around 800rwhp (blower and spray) approx. 900 hp flywheel. (He is currently running a C6 with over 1,000rwhp)

    Other engine builders with similar experience:
    Elite Autosport (612) 521-0550
    Agostino Racing Engines (905) 420-9195
    Ed Wright Automotive (918) 446-3019
    Motorsport Technologies (281) 870-8787
    LS1 Motorsports (812) 256-6400
    Modern Day Muscle Cars (770) 855-9988

  5. #5
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,746

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Opps, worded it wrong. The block can stand alot of HP, including the crank and heads.

    What I meant was the pistons.

  6. #6
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Opps, worded it wrong. The block can stand alot of HP, including the crank and heads.

    What I meant was the pistons.
    You have restored my faith in you!!!

  7. #7
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by GA Country Boy View Post
    I truly hate to disagree with a fellow blower owner, BUT I will quote from "Chevy LS1/LS6 Performance" written by Christopher P. Endres: " When the LS1 arrived in 1997, its aluminum block and cylinder heads were big news. Performance enthusiasts were skeptical, however, regarding its ability to cope with increased power. These concerns have long since been put to rest, as the blocks have proven capable of withstanding in excess of 800 horsepower". Chapter 4, page 37, paragraph 1.

    I have run in excess of 500rwhp (blower) for some time, currently 603rwhp (approx. 735hp flywheel) and have a friend who took his D-1 6-Speed C5 to 9.86 @ 142mph over two years ago which is around 800rwhp (blower and spray) approx. 900 hp flywheel. (He is currently running a C6 with over 1,000rwhp)

    Other engine builders with similar experience:
    Elite Autosport (612) 521-0550
    Agostino Racing Engines (905) 420-9195
    Ed Wright Automotive (918) 446-3019
    Motorsport Technologies (281) 870-8787
    LS1 Motorsports (812) 256-6400
    Modern Day Muscle Cars (770) 855-9988

    Well I hate to disagree with you....but the 97-98 LS1 blocks have thinner walls than the LS2 blocks......yea...they may make 1000hp but they will not last...that I assure you......I dont care what anyone says about that one.....when you start pushing those blocks over 500hp you are just on borrowed time......they were designed to safely handle around 500hp......anything over that and you're pushing your luck.....

  8. #8
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Im probably going to have about 10 grand to blow once I get back from Korea. Id like to go FI with my 98 but I have concerns on how much the aluminum block can handle. Id like to go with the usual boltons.. Suspension, 12 bolt, Chromoly Driveshaft, Slicks and skinnies, Weight reduction... ect ect... Id like to also do a head/cam swap before I throw a supercherger on. Whats a good head/cam combo for an FI car? How much does it cost to build the bottom end and what parts should I go with? Will the block hold the power?
    First....decide what you want to do with the car....daily driver.....weekend warrior......flat out race car.........how much power basically is what I'm asking.......also, will you be doing the work yourself or having someone put the items on for you????? Didn't know if that $10K if just for parts or what.....

  9. #9
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Well I hate to disagree with you....but the 97-98 LS1 blocks have thinner walls than the LS2 blocks......yea...they may make 1000hp but they will not last...that I assure you......I dont care what anyone says about that one.....when you start pushing those blocks over 500hp you are just on borrowed time......they were designed to safely handle around 500hp......anything over that and you're pushing your luck.....
    Well since you "dont care what anyone says about that one.....", I guess there is really no point in talking to you. But you are just plain wrong when you say "when you start pushing those blocks over 500hp you are just on borrowed
    time". Just exactly WHAT do you base your opinion on? You mentioned the 97-98 LS1 blocks "have thinner walls than the LS2 blocks", were we comparing the LS1-LS2? And what about the 99-04 LS1 blocks? Also WHICH specific walls were you referring to and what are the specs of those walls?

  10. #10
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by GA Country Boy View Post
    Well since you "dont care what anyone says about that one.....", I guess there is really no point in talking to you. But you are just plain wrong when you say "when you start pushing those blocks over 500hp you are just on borrowed
    time". Just exactly WHAT do you base your opinion on? You mentioned the 97-98 LS1 blocks "have thinner walls than the LS2 blocks", were we comparing the LS1-LS2? And what about the 99-04 LS1 blocks? Also WHICH specific walls were you referring to and what are the specs of those walls?
    I've seen way too many people get on here and claim they can push a stock bottom end LS1 over 500hp.....yes it's true.....but....you will give up reliability....anyone that builds engines will tell you that! I tore apart my old 98 block and compared it to the LS2 block I put in.....if you like I'll get the exact measurments for you.....Have you built any LS motors?????? I've built a few........enough to know that you can't always believe what you hear.....I just dont want to see the guy throw 10K into a motor because he listened to these "internet Geniuses" who get on here and want to tell everyone how they can build such great power out of these motors and forget to mention the rest.....so YES...you can get 500, 600, even 1000hp out of a stock bottom end but it will not last as long as you think.....if you're ever in Florida...stop by...I'll show you what happens to a stock motor when you push it too many times.....I base my experiences on real life and what I've seen these motors do....

  11. #11
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    I've seen way too many people get on here and claim they can push a stock bottom end LS1 over 500hp.....yes it's true.....but....you will give up reliability....anyone that builds engines will tell you that! I tore apart my old 98 block and compared it to the LS2 block I put in.....if you like I'll get the exact measurments for you.....Have you built any LS motors?????? I've built a few........enough to know that you can't always believe what you hear.....I just dont want to see the guy throw 10K into a motor because he listened to these "internet Geniuses" who get on here and want to tell everyone how they can build such great power out of these motors and forget to mention the rest.....so YES...you can get 500, 600, even 1000hp out of a stock bottom end but it will not last as long as you think.....if you're ever in Florida...stop by...I'll show you what happens to a stock motor when you push it too many times.....I base my experiences on real life and what I've seen these motors do....
    That's exactly why I backed up MY "opinion" with a published reference and the contact numbers for some of the leading LS1 performance engine builders in this country and Canada. So there is a list people can check and see if "anybody that builds engines" will agree with you that a LS1 engine producing over 500rwhp is on "borrowed time". I still don't know what this thread has to do with LS2 engines that you insist on comparing to. Maybe you're on the wrong forum (LS2?).

    BTW, how do you know how long I think a LS1 is going to last? (YOU said " it will not last as long as you think....."). Don't tell me that besides being an expert engine builder you're a mind reader too!!

    No offence meant, but I am open minded and do care what other people say (unlike you) and will take the word of published material and the experience of a large number of the best engine builders before I will listen to some "internet Genius" I've never heard of (you) and I have supplied the references, names and phone numbers to back up what I say. The only reason that I am taking the time to respond to you, is because I don't think it's doing anybody a favor to give people erroneus advice. The LS1 is a great engine and as I quoted previously from Mr. Endres' book " the blocks have proven capable of withstanding in excess of 800 horsepower". Chapter 4, page 37, paragraph 1. People new to mods are often afraid any change is going to demolish their motor (like blowers, or nitrous) and they don't need to be told their engines are weaker than they really are.

  12. #12
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by GA Country Boy View Post
    That's exactly why I backed up MY "opinion" with a published reference and the contact numbers for some of the leading LS1 performance engine builders in this country and Canada. So there is a list people can check and see if "anybody that builds engines" will agree with you that a LS1 engine producing over 500rwhp is on "borrowed time". I still don't know what this thread has to do with LS2 engines that you insist on comparing to. Maybe you're on the wrong forum (LS2?).

    BTW, how do you know how long I think a LS1 is going to last? (YOU said " it will not last as long as you think....."). Don't tell me that besides being an expert engine builder you're a mind reader too!!

    No offence meant, but I am open minded and do care what other people say (unlike you) and will take the word of published material and the experience of a large number of the best engine builders before I will listen to some "internet Genius" I've never heard of (you) and I have supplied the references, names and phone numbers to back up what I say. The only reason that I am taking the time to respond to you, is because I don't think it's doing anybody a favor to give people erroneus advice. The LS1 is a great engine and as I quoted previously from Mr. Endres' book " the blocks have proven capable of withstanding in excess of 800 horsepower". Chapter 4, page 37, paragraph 1. People new to mods are often afraid any change is going to demolish their motor (like blowers, or nitrous) and they don't need to be told their engines are weaker than they really are.

    Ok....instead of arguing with you about all this I'll just say.....it's your motor....run it...build it.....do anything you want to with it.......

    I've read that book......and like anything you read you have to take into consideration it's that guys opinion. I'm not saying that a LS1 can't make 800hp....I'm saying it's not going to last long if you push it to that. It's just not going to happen! When you exceed the limits of the stock crankshaft, pistons, rods, and such it's just a matter of time before something breaks! I will bet you ANY amount of money you can't show me a 800hp LS1 with stock internals and make it last for 100K miles! It's just not going to happen. I just put well over $30K into my car but I dont think it will last that long! And I have the best of everything in that motor! But I know how I drive it and I know that regardless of the quality of the parts it's just a matter of time! Have you even built a motor? This has nothing to do with being open minded. I listen to what anyone has to say but I've been around long enough to know the limits of a small block motor. I've got a treasure trove of reading materials at the house that I read to know ones opinion. But, I've also built the motors and seen what they can do. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the Forced Induction section.....is your car even forced induction??? I've built enough turbo cars to know for myself what's good and not good. I dont claim to be an expert either. But, I'm not going to sit there and listen to someone tell another person that you can push a motor that much without telling the flip side of the story. That's just my point. The guy wanted to know how to spend $10K.....I think if I were going to put that much into something I'd want to know the pro's and cons dont you.

  13. #13
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    calley37 wrote:"I will bet you ANY amount of money you can't show me a 800hp LS1 with stock internals and make it last for 100K miles! It's just not going to happen."

    NOW you've gone from talking about LS1's putting out 500rwhp living on "borrowed time" to betting me on an 800 hp LS1 WITH STOCK INTERNALS lasting 100k miles? AND would you like it run at 10,000 RPM's too? AND perhaps with NO OIL? You are getting more rediculous all the time. AND YES I do have a blown LS1 like I said in my original post "I have run in excess of 500rwhp (blower) for some time, currently 603rwhp (approx. 735hp flywheel)".

    BTW, YOU said "But, I'm not going to sit there and listen to someone tell another person that you can push a motor that much without telling the flip side". Could you point out to me WHERE I told the initiator of this thread how much they "can push a motor"?
    Last edited by GA Country Boy; 08-21-2006 at 06:04 PM. Reason: grammatical correction

  14. #14
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by GA Country Boy View Post
    calley37 wrote:"I will bet you ANY amount of money you can't show me a 800hp LS1 with stock internals and make it last for 100K miles! It's just not going to happen."

    NOW you've gone from talking about LS1's putting out 500rwhp living on "borrowed time" to betting me on an 800 hp LS1 WITH STOCK INTERNALS lasting 100k miles? AND would you like it run at 10,000 RPM's too? AND perhaps with NO OIL? You are getting more rediculous all the time. AND YES I do have a blown LS1 like I said in my original post "I have run in excess of 500rwhp (blower) for some time, currently 603rwhp (approx. 735hp flywheel)".

    BTW, YOU said "But, I'm not going to sit there and listen to someone tell another person that you can push a motor that much without telling the flip side". Could you point out to me WHERE I told the initiator of this thread how much they "can push a motor"?
    I'm getting more rediculous....you're kidding right....any time you'd like to compare engine knowledge you let me know.......I assure you....if you have stock internals and running that kind of HP you'll be buying another motor before long.......if I actually thought you knew anything about metal composition I'd break it down to you and show you what happens when you push a motor like that......it comes down to the metal construction....the heat generated by the motor....the continual heat cycling of the metal......it causes fatigue in the metal..........thats why you have forged pieces out on the market.......it's just a fact.....now if you insist on acting childish about this go on......no where did I say run it without oil....push it to 10,000rpm....geez.....give me a break! I've probably forgotten more about motors than you know. When it comes to forced induction I'm quite certain I know what I'm talking about here........

  15. #15
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    I'm getting more rediculous....you're kidding right....any time you'd like to compare engine knowledge you let me know.......I assure you....if you have stock internals and running that kind of HP you'll be buying another motor before long.......if I actually thought you knew anything about metal composition I'd break it down to you and show you what happens when you push a motor like that......it comes down to the metal construction....the heat generated by the motor....the continual heat cycling of the metal......it causes fatigue in the metal..........thats why you have forged pieces out on the market.......it's just a fact.....now if you insist on acting childish about this go on......no where did I say run it without oil....push it to 10,000rpm....geez.....give me a break! I've probably forgotten more about motors than you know. When it comes to forced induction I'm quite certain I know what I'm talking about here........
    Okay YOU win! YOU believe you're more knowledgeable than me and that you are certain you know what you are talking about which is a good thing, because you keep changing the subject every post you make and still have not backed up anything you have said. YOU could tell us WHAT parts you spent $30,000 on when you personally built your motor. THAT would be something worth reading. BUT as to the forgotten more than I know stuff,
    I had qualified for (and received) my International (FIA) Racing Licence while you were still a toddler (1974).

  16. #16
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by GA Country Boy View Post
    I had qualified for (and received) my International (FIA) Racing Licence while you were still a toddler (1974).
    Good for you!!!! YEA!!!!! Any time you'd like to know what's in my car let me know...you have a personall invite to come to Florida to find out......and since you're in Georgia it's not that far of a trip........arguing with people like you isn't worth my time.

  17. #17
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Good for you!!!! YEA!!!!! Any time you'd like to know what's in my car let me know...you have a personall invite to come to Florida to find out......and since you're in Georgia it's not that far of a trip........arguing with people like you isn't worth my time.
    Okay. What's your address?

  18. #18
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    I'm in Panama City.....

  19. #19
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    I'm in Panama City.....
    I'll need something more specific than that. Name? Address?
    And I will be glad to come down and pay you a visit.

  20. #20
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by GA Country Boy View Post
    I'll need something more specific than that. Name? Address?
    And I will be glad to come down and pay you a visit.
    pm sent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. new to ls1.com suggestions for my ls1
    By 97ls1silverado in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 12:59 PM
  2. V6 suggestions??
    By babynate18 in forum V6
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 07:27 PM
  3. Any suggestions
    By 2000ssturd in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
  4. New SS, Need suggestions.
    By Muscle in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 06:21 AM
  5. wax suggestions???.......
    By clg82 in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 07:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •