Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue/Green
    99" TA LS1

STS Turbo??? What you think??

As long as i can get 500 to 600RWH i'm happy, and I think the cheapest and fastest way may be the STS turbo kit. I know i will need to upgrade the rear end and tranny, and even some motor work... I hear the cars can handle about 500RWH stock, but this will be a weekend driver/strip car/street. I have found a place in my state that will do front mounts for a little more.... But was thinking i would have to do my upgrades sooner with the front mount,.... with the STS it is mounted in the rear so i still have room under the hood.. What you cats think???

We have a couple running around here and im not impressed at all! I would possibly look at other options.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by ebrakeracin4 View Post
    We have a couple running around here and im not impressed at all! I would possibly look at other options.
    what you mean? i hear people praising them to the sky all the time.

they don't make power or what? i know on the website they claim to have a couple cars over 500 hp

they just dont seem to run well and they are always having problems. 2 of them are making over 500. But considering all that u have to do ttat expensive H.P. . Consider heads, cam, nitrous, and a really good tune.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    what you mean? i hear people praising them to the sky all the time.

they don't make power or what? i know on the website they claim to have a couple cars over 500 hp
    They may make the power but I haven't been impressed with the ones that run at the track.

I just ordered the twin turbo kit from APS Engineering, you should look into that!

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

do not rear mount a turbo please!!!!

horror story waiting to happen....

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

hey bud ill give it to you striaght i work at bandimere speedway in colorado and watch drag racing all day and get paid to do it. We have a top ten LS1 wall at the track as do we for all engines. one of the top three ls1's ever is a sts turbo that is rediculouis and at 5,800ft above sea level pulled 599.6hp and 634.8lbs trq. which is crazy for this high up. diffenatley worth you time. Im jealous i would love to have the kit...

Pewter
    2000 z28

any decent turbo kit will produce big numbers, its the quality over time thats gonna matter.

and for the cost of the kit, i would want more than the typical mid to high 500s.

my opinion though. front mount is the way to go. do a truck manifold turbo kit and mount it up front and make it easier on yourself.

10's N/A

I can second that. I've spoke with a few guys that have installed the kit and had nothing but bad things to say. One particularly said the only good thing about it was the price and ease of installation. He's since removed the STS and now runs an APS front-mount kit (on an LS1).

Pewter
    2000 z28

Yep^^^^

when i first saw the rear mounted turbos, i figured, cool, that looks ok. but they dont produce the huge numbers you'd expect because for one theres only so big of a turbine you can fit in that location. i wont mention the fact that in a turbo application, it has always been my understanding that you want as short a return and feed lines as possible, intercooler piping being the main concern. the shorter the better.

sure it looks great and 500+ is amazing to me, but if we're talking turbo systems on 8 cylinders, 500 is anemic compared to what is available for the same or similar price, being simpler in retrospect to install, less headaches, and damn near DOUBLE the power.

just an opinion

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBirdman View Post
    As long as i can get 500 to 600RWH i'm happy, and I think the cheapest and fastest way may be the STS turbo kit. I know i will need to upgrade the rear end and tranny, and even some motor work... I hear the cars can handle about 500RWH stock, but this will be a weekend driver/strip car/street. I have found a place in my state that will do front mounts for a little more.... But was thinking i would have to do my upgrades sooner with the front mount,.... with the STS it is mounted in the rear so i still have room under the hood.. What you cats think???
    I was thinking the same thing and did a lot of researching. My conclusion is what everyone else is telling you don't do it. Go front mount, supercharger or perhaps get a stroker. It's cheap power but do some searching and you'll find it's cheap for a reason. The guys at STS seem helpful and answered my all my questions but I'm just not sold on the kit. HP numbers are just HP numbers it's timeslips that count. You can have all the HP in the world but if you can't beat the guy next to you what good is it?

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

there is only one guy i know of right now that has the aps kit in and good to go, a few more people should be done real soon, i am also going aps.
    Yeah i don't think the sts kit is bad, there is horror stories with everything, but i would go with the truck manifolds if i were you...............there are some people running 8's 1/4 with a truck manifold setup.

As long as you build it right the first time you should be fine.........whatever it is.

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

I live in Salt Lake, which is where STS is based out of. I have gone into there shop and talked to them personally, they are very knowledgable and really good to work with. With that said, there are way to many people who are unhappy with what they recieve after a while. I have also heard that they cannot handle large amounts of boost (ie.. 15lbs+) because the long amounts of tubing cannot handle the pressure. Another big issue is people having problems with the oiling of the turbo itself. Take this for what it is worth, but for as many decently priced twin turbo set ups like HP and APS that have come out in the past months you can get more for the same money and more horsepower.

Sincerly,
    Former STS fan
    1998 Trans Am Vert, M6, Soon to be full of goodies......

Pewter
    2000 z28

^^^yep.

in theory its a nice idea as i said. very stealthy. but most underestimate the complexity of a turbo system. extending lines any farther than need be is just asking for trouble.

id be interested to see how those with the sts liked it after 6 months to a year of owning it.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

i knew a guy who had one more than that, of course everyone knows a guy. you just have to get it setup right the first time and you'll be fine, but it is true that you can't push alot of air through the piping because you'll blow the flimsy connections off, at that point you just weld it all together, if not just make your own rear setup. There are a couple of people on here who have done that.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Question

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBirdman View Post

thats the excact same question I have im way interested in the sts turbo kit, I wanted to see the pro and the cons... what all do you guys think???

White
    2002 Camaro SS

It's a good way to start into the FI world. It's easy to install, work on, keeps all accessories and doesn't crowd up the engine bay. It will be more expensive than you think though. There will also be issues with turning an N/A car into FI that most are not aware of (PCV system, oiling, etc.). The thing about STS as a company is that they don't really help you tune the system for more power than the kit they sell. You're on your own. When you really want to turn up the power though, it'll be time to do something custom or go front mount. The bad rap these systems get comes from two different crowds. The newbs who screwed up the install or got in over their heads doing a turbo system or the guys that want max power and quickest response.

Oh, and the comment about the H/C instead. That's just silly. An STS with some fuel and the T67 upgrade would beat any H/C combo. My non intercooled system went 12.0 @ 120mph with a sorry 2.0 60ft @ 8psi.

As far as going FI there are three considerations:

Fast
    Inexpensive
    Reliable

Pick two.
    2002 Camaro SS STS T67 turbo

2003 SRT-4 some mods

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

i didnt read everything in this thread, but if some only make 500flywheel hp, dont even bother. u can make that much other ways

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Quote Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post

Fast
    Inexpensive
    Reliable

Pick two.
    Words of Wisdom.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
    It's a good way to start into the FI world. It's easy to install, work on, keeps all accessories and doesn't crowd up the engine bay. It will be more expensive than you think though. There will also be issues with turning an N/A car into FI that most are not aware of (PCV system, oiling, etc.). The thing about STS as a company is that they don't really help you tune the system for more power than the kit they sell. You're on your own. When you really want to turn up the power though, it'll be time to do something custom or go front mount. The bad rap these systems get comes from two different crowds. The newbs who screwed up the install or got in over their heads doing a turbo system or the guys that want max power and quickest response.

Oh, and the comment about the H/C instead. That's just silly. An STS with some fuel and the T67 upgrade would beat any H/C combo. My non intercooled system went 12.0 @ 120mph with a sorry 2.0 60ft @ 8psi.

Fast
    Inexpensive
    Reliable

Pick two.

thanks man for giving us your personal experince, a lot of guys on this site were bashing this set up and I personally was really woundering if this system was really worth the money? but this weekend i raced bracket national at bandimere speedway and talked with a guy (who's car runs 12 flat @5,800 above sea level, which is rediculious up here) who said he was on the highway and rolled up next to a c5 vette with a sts and got worked out of his mine. So that was only the first testament that i had positive about this sytem. So I guess the more you could busto about it for me the more ill be interested. thanks man

1999 Z28 14.39 @103.12 @ 5,800 ft above sea level
    338.2hp and 345.3 trq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information