Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

sts turbo questions

This is a discussion on sts turbo questions within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; when you say 'tune' are you speaking of a separate computer module... a programmer? does this rewrite the onboard computer, ...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

when you say 'tune' are you speaking of a separate computer module... a programmer? does this rewrite the onboard computer, or do you leave it plugged in at all times? Most of the people I know with tuners/programmers, have them mounted somewhere on the dash/under the dash, have an LCD readout, and you can switch between programs and whatnot... is this similar?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

you can get the computer tuned and then its on the computer in the car and you dont require any programmers afterwards but lots of people monitor their car with a tunner device or application on a pc and are able to tune on the fly if they have these applications.

but most of this stuff is readouts of what is happening after you flash your computer with the appropriate flash for your engines specs and boost PSI.

kinda a short summary

the car will run very poorly without a programming as well as risk your engine if the cars timing is to far advanced and the fuel mixture is too lean.

KABOOM
    Click for full size
    2000 Camaro SS Black Loaded LS1 6-Speed T-Tops, STS Rear-Mount Turbo, 42Lb Injectors, Racetronixs Fuel pump upgrade system, Custom Tune by Rick Squires @ STS Turbo, Goodyear F1 DS-G3 275 40zr17's. 3.73Rear End.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

okay... that is sorta like when you re-flash the chip in the older cars... I had heard before you could re-program stuff on the fly with the ALDL port... and not pull the chip on ODB-II cars...

my friend has a 2005 STI and he had a box where he can hook a laptop up, or the box itself has like 5 preset program modes... he just picks one depending on the situation...

so a "mail order tune" is, I'm guessing, the actual tuner module? or you send off your prom to be reprogrammed?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    okay... that is sorta like when you re-flash the chip in the older cars... I had heard before you could re-program stuff on the fly with the ALDL port... and not pull the chip on ODB-II cars...

my friend has a 2005 STI and he had a box where he can hook a laptop up, or the box itself has like 5 preset program modes... he just picks one depending on the situation...

so a "mail order tune" is, I'm guessing, the actual tuner module? or you send off your prom to be reprogrammed?
    some cars you have to hookup another module to allow for tunning, but for the ls1's its a tune right on the ECU, so you can send ur ecu off to get reflashed with a performance tune.

with a handheld like a diablo or even software for a laptop like Hptunners you can just flash the ECU whenever you want. and if you take off the parts you can flash back to stock.

2002 Trans Am

so what would a completely stock car, with stock injectors and no tune what-so-ever run with the sts @ 5psi? I'm guessing it would be less than 400hp
    My guess is yes it would be under 400. Mine at 5psi with a tune and the injectors and fuel pump dynoed at 413.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I wonder what you could get with new cam, intake, headers, heads, and full exhaust(catless) AND the 5-7psi sts?

I'm guessing that would push the limits of the LS1 lower-end... and maybe even the block itself...

pewtr
    2002 Trans am WS-6

Turbos done

sounds bad as fuck, love when the blow off valve kicks in

need to get it dyno tuned now any1 know of anywhere good in central florida and about how much it costs?

the oil pump in rear is loud, i can hear in the car, is that normal?

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

the sts kit comes with an additional oil pump, or did you mean fuel pump?

pewtr
    2002 Trans am WS-6

whats sum good tuing places i can order from, whats usual costs, looks like $425 and up for most

anything cheaper

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

the sts kit comes with an additional oil pump, or did you mean fuel pump?
    the sts oil pump is loud for the first little bit from what i read.

mine i to go on my car in 2 weeks

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

is that oil pump for a separate oil system for the turbo? I read it's not using the car's main oil supply...

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

is that oil pump for a separate oil system for the turbo? I read it's not using the car's main oil supply...
    the STS uses your engine oil,

there is a line from your engine at the oil filter then runs into the turbo the back to a after marked oil pump which is included with the KIT then it dumps back into your oil cap.

very simple system but is effective.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

The oil pump is pretty simple but one more thing that can possibly go wrong.Although sts has warning lights for it which is a good idea.You need the pump since the setup is at the back and think incon also used a scavenger pump on their twin setup.

My ordered setup is front mount and has no oil pump.
    The sts are very neat and work well.Had ride in one lt1 sts car and it was impressive even at 5psi and bone stock.Kicked my 96 z28 verts ass pretty easily!

There are some big power very fast sts cars on ls1tech. I have gotten into a few arguements over the sts idea and theory but I can assure you in practice it works and works well.
    I look forward to a ride in y2ks car since he lives in my town and we know each other.
    he is supposedly getting it finished this weekend.He is running 42s and I sold him my single racetronix pump setup since going to twin pumps in my car.

I planned on either running with some mods on stock engine this year and then build a forged stroked up iron block over the winter. Currently have waiting for install fast 90 intake ,getting NW 90 tb and have lingenfelter gt 7 turbo cam. Was thinking some lq9 patriot heads to lower compression a bit.
    Then next year get forged stroker crank, rods and pistons and build a nice 402 or something.Going with 65 pound injectors for now and dual inline stainless line fuel setup with bigger rails.

Anyway as said the sts is a nice option. Enjoy it.I think it sounds great just the way it comes. But then again I love turbo cars.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by aquickfive0
    the oil pump in rear is loud, i can hear in the car, is that normal?
    Unfortunately, yes.
    It is mounted behind the rear seat on the outside, and the vibrations reverberate in the body.
    It does have 2 speeds, and starts in high speed. Once it warms up, it should shift to the lower speed and get somewhat quieter. But yes, it is an issue (at least to me).
    Other than the noise, I have liked mine.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

how long does it take to warm up?

i never heard mine kick into low gear.

its always loud as hell

pewtr
    2002 Trans am WS-6

mine loud as hell

i wana find a way to make it quieter

i dont wana hear it inside car

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

is there any way to replace the pump with a quieter version? or maybe the best solution is just to sound-dampen that area

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

I agree with everyone, and went round and round with STS last year on this issue.
    1) It is possible to put a second layer of vibration dampening. It currently has rubber bushings; one could possibly put a second vibration plate in place.
    2) It could be wrapped, but a cooling solution (i.e. fan) would have to be used.
    3) Another brand (such as the Mocal) could be used. It has a cooling fan installed, and could possibly be insulated.

I have the same questions/issues, but I have not yet addressed any of them except for thinking about solutions. Others have told me that theirs are quiet, but I do not think that mine is. It sounds like you also think the same.

As far as how long it takes to run quieter, I usually run around the block and it is less loud (not the same as quiet, to be sure). I was quoting from the STS Instruction Manual. Look under the Troubleshooting Guide section, "Oil pump is noisy" section. It also says to check pressure switch continuity, secondary relay continuity. But does not say how to do so.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Thats very good to know
    i have about 20km on the car since i installed mine so i hope it gets a bit quieter. but if not i will see what i can do to fix the problem.

I am intrested to see how the testing of the pump works.

Either way i have a question that someone might be able to answer.

I have the STS and i got the TIAL BOV. But i am unsure where the BOV vaccum source is.

where do i hook that up. and does anyone have a picture or can tell me exactly where would be appreciated.

Thanks

pewtr
    2002 Trans am WS-6

i did nine to vacuum hose next to the brake booster adn master cylinder

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information