Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans Am Ws6

STS Turbo Installation Price

I have decided to put a STS turbo in my 94 z28 but I was wondering what prices you think I might be looking at to get it installed. I would prefer to take it to a dealer that I know of only because many mechanic shops around here are crap and if you take your car there your asking for it to be destroyed. I was wondering what prices you've paid in modification work for an installation. I'm hoping the price will be cut down due to the simplicity of the installation but IDK. Does anyone have any price reports?

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

well around me with the same kit and install a local shop near me cost 13,999 i called today thats fricken ridiculous cause that kkit should cost no more then 4k honestly do it urself get alot of research instructions and manuels and when ur stuck on something come on here and we will all help to fix ur problem

Silver
    2002 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by screaminbird View Post
    well around me with the same kit and install a local shop near me cost 13,999 i called today thats fricken ridiculous cause that kkit should cost no more then 4k honestly do it urself get alot of research instructions and manuels and when ur stuck on something come on here and we will all help to fix ur problem
    What the ! Thats practically as much as purchasing a ls7! The kit is only 3,800 and I've seen the installation done on this garage show before in which it only took them a few hours and it was the easiest thing in the world! I would do it myself if I knew more about cars and had the time, but sadly I don't with college Anyone else have installation price?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by screaminbird View Post
    I think anyone on here would install it for half that for you.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

They are charging you the price it costs to take that tinker-toy kit and turn it into something that works.... almost.

Once you realize that STS's claims are the same thing that their kit makes - hot air, you start to see the real cost, which includes (and should have by STS, but this is the only way you will get a "turbo" system for under 4K; incomplete):

Blow off Valve
    Waste Gate
    All new silicone couplers (because theirs are garbage and will split)
    All new t-bolt clamps to replace their crappy worm clamps
    front-mount intercooler and associated piping and couplers ($$)
    catch can
    real PCV system
    fittings to return the oil to the oil pan
    fuel pump and install kit
    hotwire kit for fuel pump
    fuel injectors
    PCM programming

...and I am sure I am leaving a ton out; it's just that I will leave out MUCH more than STS will when they tell you that you can have a backwards turbo that's "cheap and easy" In the real world, it is neither. These kits seem to attract people that have no background in turbo charging at all and like to argue based off of some claim that STS has made in a magazine ad...

When the STS guys chime in and tell you about their dyno numbers, as them what they run at the track and see the look on their face.

STS doesn't tell you that their monument to inefficiency has had the A/R tightened up to help spool "early", but on a 6-speed car you *might* make 2 psi in first gear. You will make a little more in second, but won't be able to spool to full boost until 3rd gear when the load on the car is high. There is just too much heat lost moving a turbo to the back of the car.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am Ws6

Blow off Valve
    Waste Gate
    All new silicone couplers (because theirs are garbage and will split)
    All new t-bolt clamps to replace their crappy worm clamps
    front-mount intercooler and associated piping and couplers ($$)
    catch can
    real PCV system
    fittings to return the oil to the oil pan
    fuel pump and install kit
    hotwire kit for fuel pump
    fuel injectors
    PCM programming

So your saying that all the parts above I would need to either replace or buy because the STS turbo kits parts are crap/aren't even included? What would you recommend than? I didn't think their product seemed so bad because I've seen some pretty insane dyno/crusing videos with them but thanks for the heads up lol How much do you think all that would run move above the base 4,000?

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro SS

DON'T DO AN STS TURBO KIT!!! They suck. A lot of hype that come down to nothing but hot air. Do a front mount turbo; make better/more efficient power; and don't waste your money.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHeadXi158 View Post
    .... What would you recommend then?

....much do you think all that would run move above the base 4,000?
    At least 2x cost of the "kit" + install labor

I would recommend months and months of reading before pulling the trigger on an FI setup.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I would recommend months and months of reading before pulling the trigger on an FI setup.
    You won't regret doing a lot of research and taking your time on something like this. It's a big purchase and not one to rush.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am Ws6

QUOTE=Frost;1606739]At least 2x cost of the "kit" + install labor

I would recommend months and months of reading before pulling the trigger on an FI setup.[/QUOTE]

Thats another question I had....how much would an STS install cost? Apparently you can do it within a day but I'm scared of finding a bill that will cost me a few grand....The only reason why I don't want a front mount turbo is because of the heat and lack of room, but how much would the install cost and what companies could do this?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

... Apparently you can do it within a day but I'm scared of finding a bill that will cost me a few grand........

A day?? Seriously, stop reading the STS ads, read the FORUMS.

You don't like, buy all of the schlong growth products that you get email ads for, do you? They make fantastic claims too...

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

lol

Silver
    2002 Trans Am Ws6

You don't like, buy all of the schlong growth products that you get email ads for, do you? They make fantastic claims too...
    I don't know some shop said that....I guess they were trying to kick me in the nuts

Silver
    2002 Trans Am Ws6

I went to the website forcedinductions.com and I was wondering what you thought of this. Do you know anything about these guys?

PTK Street Kit Complete with Base Turbo
    LT1-PTK-GEN2 93-97 LT1 F-body kit W/ no Intercooler and MPT-70 Turbo with .96A/R

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro SS

First of all, I wouldn't go to a shop that didn't specialize in LS1 or LSx powered vehicles. And if they tell you to go with an STS kit........leave.

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

There are plenty of love/hate opinions about STS. As far as STS goes on my car, people on my other forum love them for the most part. The only problem with them that people say are clamps blow and the oil return is a pos. But all forced inductions run into trouble at one point or another.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I went to the website forcedinductions.com and I was wondering what you thought of this. Do you know anything about these guys?

PTK Street Kit Complete with Base Turbo
    LT1-PTK-GEN2 93-97 LT1 F-body kit W/ no Intercooler and MPT-70 Turbo with .96A/R
    Haha...

Those are great guys but their website is YEARS old. I have that PTK setup on my own f-body actually.... but they haven't sold it in years, and PTK/PTS went under a little while back.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by FantaZGuy28 View Post
    There are plenty of love/hate opinions about STS. As far as STS goes on my car, people on my other forum love them for the most part. The only problem with them that people say are clamps blow and the oil return is a pos. But all forced inductions run into trouble at one point or another.
    My biggest gripe is that they lure n00bs in with some seriously hyped BS claims. I have n00bs arguing with me left and right about the BS that STS throws out in their ads.

"I don't need an intercooler cuz STS says they have a long pipe"
    "rear mounts don't need heat and are just as effecient as front mounts"
    "you don't need SFC's, STS's pipe strengthen the car"
    "STS's clamps and couplers will work fine"
    "STS's PCV will work fine"
    "STS's kit is a great deal!"

...I could go on.

I'm not a hater, just want people to know the truth before they spend.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I have really never heard anything good about the STS turbo kits. All that money to have a subpar kit?? Not worth it, IMO.

If you're looking for a turbo kit, go with APS. Yes, they are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Everything is included, and they have excellent instructions on how to do the entire installation. Their kits are designed to fit like an OEM system would, they design the kit around the car, not like the STS where you have to and run pipes, hoses, and lines where they were never designed to be. Here's their system: http://www.airpowersystems.com/fbody/tt.htm
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I'm not gonna say that the STS kit is the best, because its not, by far. But...it is a good kit if you spend the money to make it right. Intercooler, T-bolt clamps, and good couplers. My car had it on it when I bought it and I'll tell ya, the performance is AMAZING. On only 5lbs, the car is make upwards of 500 at the wheels and pulls harder than anything I've ever driven. Or rode in for that matter. Thats saying something when we own a Syclone that throws you back in the seat and takes off like a f'ing rocket. My car does that without trying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information