Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

STS Turbo

This is a discussion on STS Turbo within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by PhillyLs1 STS kits are fucking junk. Take a circus to get them running correctly. APS is no ...

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLs1 View Post
    STS kits are fucking junk. Take a circus to get them running correctly.
    APS is no better. Difference is APS has a better legal department and customer service.

Go with a real kit like TTi. Do it right or don't do it at all.
    As far as I know TTi doesn't even make a twin turbo, how can that be better than APS?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    As far as I know TTi doesn't even make a twin turbo, how can that be better than APS?
    Well how many 8-second daily-driveable APS cars are there? Here's a friend's car with a TTi setup, 8 second pass on 17" DRs: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...-MM_201441.htm

Not only that, this kit is now years and many engines old and is still in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Well how many 8-second daily-driveable APS cars are there? Here's a friend's car with a TTi setup, 8 second pass on 17" DRs: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...-MM_201441.htm

Not only that, this kit is now years and many engines old and is still in great shape.
    First of all I NEVER said the TTi kit was bad, you don't have to defend it. I'm only questioning this notion of APS being junk. Perhaps you're right and the TTi kit is better but is it fair to go as far as calling the APS kit junk? As far as I know many members on this site are running the APS setup on daily drivers with no problems.

And secondly, how did 8 second times even enter this discussion? Whether APS is junk or not, or whether it can run an 8 second times on a daily driver car or not are 2 separate things. I really don't think a car HAS to be an 8 second daily driver to be classified in the "not-junk" category, that is a bit unreasonable of a standard don't you agree?
    Last edited by RedVertTA; 03-01-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Again, Ill say turbos work so do blowers,they all require fabing and a great deal of knowledge on the working of a FI setup.sts has been around as wel as others,they all work they all have to be tweaked..I know alil about this shit as I built my own..fastest ls2 GTO in the country..all from a stock ls2 lets just all get along,this site is far better then that other lsBS forum.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

APS makes nice manifold based kits; I'm not calling them junk Some of the accessories could be a little nicer. I just throw in TTi because they are the most forgotten or overlooked of turbo companies for the f-bod, and they have in-stock kits ready to ship made in the USA. The link to the 8second pass is just to show potential and reflect the long term reliability of the kit.

Sebring Silver
    00 Camaro SS/09 LS3 Vette

The turbos APS supplies are junk. To upgrade they rape you. Report a problem and LS1Tech deletes the thread.
    Their accessories are junk. IE sucking close hoses. Their turbos have had issues. Firment issues.

Two turbos are not better then one. If that's what you're implying.

How many forced induction systems have you had again?

The turbos APS supplies are junk. To upgrade they rape you. Report a problem and LS1Tech deletes the thread.
    Their accessories are junk. IE sucking close hoses. Their turbos have had issues. Firment issues.

Two turbos are not better then one. If that's what you're implying.

How many forced induction systems have you had again?
    Two, but not on an fbody, I don't see how that matters. IMO, (As long as it works, your implying APS is junk.) 2 is almost always better than 1. And you're the first person I've ever heard say APS is junk.

BTW we totally jacked this thread.
    Last edited by RedVertTA; 03-02-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Sebring Silver

Two, but not on an fbody, I don't see how that matters. IMO, (As long as it works, your implying APS is junk.) 2 is almost always better than 1. And you're the first person I've ever heard say APS is junk.
    2 is not better then 1.
    Go on LS1Tech and search out APS issues. There's a few the mods haven't deleted yet. Don't believe the hype.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Quote Originally Posted by derck_mullin View Post
    It's not that everyone is bagging...I think there are some unrealistic expectations all around. IMHO they (STS) work but not well. The rear mount turbo idea is a valid one...the STS single turbo Camaro/TA kit just doesn't work well. By the time you get it sorted you should have gone custom from the start. If you go that route then you need to bend your own pipes and fab everything up which ends up costing a fair amount of cash. Also by the time you spend that much you could have bought a cam/headers/heads/full exhaust and be doing just as well power wise and not having to worry about all the turbo tuning issues...

I personally think it would be really cool because I like keeping all of my accessories, not notching the frame, etc. Also if the car isn't designed for a turbo under the hood you can start causing problems with almost anything else mounted under the hood that is not going to be able to stand the increased temps.

From your sig it looks like you are definitely turbo familiar...not sure if you've pursued putting a turbo on a N/A motor though. It's not easy and it ain't gonna be cheap...again see statement 1. This is where things don't make sense on these cars.

my local exhaust shop is bend all my pipe for a custom rear mount setup for around 350.00 thats the Y into one for the hotside and and 2.5 all the way back up for the intake. were just gonna run it str8 into the maf. theres a guy over on ls1gto.com that built his own kit from the ground up with under two thousand invested and he pushing around 550 to the ground on stock internals. build your own kit. dont worry about all the 5 and 6k kits. go and get a good tune when your done and she'll be golden!
    Last edited by JAX04; 03-03-2009 at 06:06 AM.

2 is not better then 1.
    Go on LS1Tech and search out APS issues. There's a few the mods haven't deleted yet. Don't believe the hype.
    You'll get better throttle response with 2 than 1 on the same boost (assuming the system is built correctly).

Alright I believe you, APS = issues, however as much as people on this site hate tech, I find it really funny you're telling me to go to there on this.

Sebring Silver

You'll get better throttle response with 2 than 1 on the same boost (assuming the system is built correctly).

Alright I believe you, APS = issues, however as much as people on this site hate tech, I find it really funny you're telling me to go to there on this.
    What does that have to do with the quality of information contained on the site?

People hate Tech because of personality conflicts.

What does that have to do with the quality of information contained on the site?

People hate Tech because of personality conflicts.
    You've got it all wrong, I'm not saying anything about the quality of info on the site at all, I just found it funny (when I say funny I mean literally funny as in lol funny, not funny as in awkward) you said to go there.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

APS makes nice manifold based kits; I'm not calling them junk Some of the accessories could be a little nicer. I just throw in TTi because they are the most forgotten or overlooked of turbo companies for the f-bod, and they have in-stock kits ready to ship made in the USA. The link to the 8second pass is just to show potential and reflect the long term reliability of the kit.
    TTI,looks like nice stuff never heard of them.
    hell my self made kit kicks all their azzes lol
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    TTI,looks like nice stuff never heard of them.
    hell my self made kit kicks all their azzes lol

Don't be too quick to assume... Here is a C5, stock bottom end LS1 with ported truck heads and a 23X/24X 115LSA cam that traps 140 MPH and runs 9s on 9psi off the gate springs. It's a TTi X-kit hot parts setup with an owner fabbed A2W cold side. Here are the car's SHAKEDOWN RUNS; only the LAST pass is made leaving under boost. It ran a 9.96 with him letting off (these were shakedowns but done during a race and he was out too far in front so he braked hard up top) as you can see from his trap speed going down 6-7 MPH that pass.

Right click and save: http://www.frozenwaste.com/vid/randy.wmv
    Last edited by Frost; 03-03-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Don't be too quick to assume... Here is a C5, stock bottom end LS1 with ported truck heads and a 23X/24X 115LSA cam that traps 140 MPH and runs 9s on 9psi off the gate springs. It's a TTi X-kit hot parts setup with an owner fabbed A2W cold side. Here are the car's SHAKEDOWN RUNS; only the LAST pass is made leaving under boost. It ran a 9.96 with him letting off (these were shakedowns but done during a race and he was out too far in front so he braked hard up top) as you can see from his trap speed going down 6-7 MPH that pass.

Right click and save: http://www.frozenwaste.com/vid/randy.wmv
    I am assuming nothing ,I was talking ls2 GTO.cant compare a vette to a GTO the GTO is alot heavier,only thing it has in common is its a chevy.so in clarfiying LS2GTO, always someone faster ,lighter,got more money, ETC. I have the stock bottom end ,stock cam stock intake,I was referring to those other kits on GTO's,the ones I have ran against Gen ttr,APS.procharger,sts,guess what I was trying to say is I have made my own setup,took me alil while to figure it out .but I have a solid kit,bolt it on and go with a stock motor and run some very good times.for alot less then the big named kits.
    Last edited by qwkgto; 03-15-2009 at 04:14 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I am assuming nothing ,I was talking ls2 GTO.cant compare a vette to a GTO he GTO is alot heavier,only thing it has in common is its a chevy.so in clarfiying LS2GTO, always someone faster ,lighter,got more money, ETC. I have the stock bottom end ,stock cam stock intake,I was referring to those other kits on GTO's

I am very aware of the difference in the cars, I was only referring to what you said, "hell my self made kit kicks all their azzes lol" and since TTi makes no GTO kit...

There are very few GTO's around here; I think I have tuned about 10 of them. The cam in your car (or VERY similar) has pushed many an FI F-body into the 9s as well. I wouldn't swap it if I were you either. Those 243 heads and the extra displacement are nice too.

The cam in your car (or VERY similar) has pushed many an FI F-body into the 9s as well. I wouldn't swap it if I were you either. Those 243 heads and the extra displacement are nice too.
    I'm guessing the driveability must be nice too.

Black
    98 C5 vert

you can buy them on ebay also in a bulk deal ,i have a garage full of them but have also found best to tig most of it together us v band and forget it way less problems,made mine work way better,sucks going down the road making 15 psi and it letting loose scared the bjeebiees outta me the first time it happened.

I don't care who you are that is funny.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by willig5 View Post
    I don't care who you are that is funny.
    whats funny,the T-bolt clamps can be bought cheaper on ebay/bulk,like I said its best to weld most of the intercooler and the exhaust before the turbos ,welded and use the vband clamps where you need to be able to dissassemble it.

Black
    98 C5 vert

whats funny,the T-bolt clamps can be bought cheaper on ebay/bulk,like I said its best to weld most of the intercooler and the exhaust before the turbos ,welded and use the vband clamps where you need to be able to dissassemble it.
    Only that fact you said "scared the bjeebiees outta me the first time it happened" Nothing funny about the bs they send with the kit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM
  2. 11-12-2011, 02:46 AM

Thread Information