Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

STS Turbo

This is a discussion on STS Turbo within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by JwMonE99 God ur GTO looks aggressive as hell. lol thanks I love the car for a pretty ...

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    God ur GTO looks aggressive as hell.
    lol thanks I love the car for a pretty much stock ls2 it flys over 800hp the the rear tires its a fun time in deed.does tend to break shit from time to time.Oh by the way im selling kit that now on car going bigger and built motor so I can keep up with them vette guys..lol heres one of my fav pics of the car leaving the line
    Last edited by qwkgto; 12-09-2008 at 02:39 PM.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    I still havent seen any problems except maybe installer errors.
    Well then you have not been reading...

Here is one in this very thread that I mentioned in at least 3 or 4 other threads in the FI section here:

Quote Originally Posted by locodave View Post
    Hi, Update on lack of boost on his car. Split rubber at the MAF. I think it's a sore spot on what STS has in the kit. He's had another one before split under pressure. .....

I have said many times that all of the silicone couplers and worm clamps that come with this kit are garbage. It's hard to accept how much those things cost to fully swap out with good couplers and T-bolt clamps too....

If these were the only issues I'd say fine.

If *anyone* on here chalks up bad engineering to a bad install, you are simply uninformed.

Here's a HUGE issue.... you need solid crankcase venting the most under boost; more so than driving around. Instead of doing the normal thing and pulling a vacuum from the inlet of the turbo, they go to the INTAKE. At this point, they have a Hobbs switch. As soon as it 'sees' any boost, it snaps a solenoid shut and TOTALLY WIPES OUT CRANKCASE VENTING WHEN IT IS NEEDED THE MOST. They actually spent more money in the PCV area to do it the wrong way. How can this POSSIBLY be the installer's fault?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

Here is one in this very thread that I mentioned in at least 3 or 4 other threads in the FI section here:

I have said many times that all of the silicone couplers and worm clamps that come with this kit are garbage. It's hard to accept how much those things cost to fully swap out with good couplers and T-bolt clamps too....

If *anyone* on here chalks up bad engineering to a bad install, you are simply uninformed.

Here's a HUGE issue.... you need solid crankcase venting the most under boost; more so than driving around. Instead of doing the normal thing and pulling a vacuum from the inlet of the turbo, they go to the INTAKE. At this point, they have a Hobbs switch. As soon as it 'sees' any boost, it snaps a solenoid shut and TOTALLY WIPES OUT CRANKCASE VENTING WHEN IT IS NEEDED THE MOST. They actually spent more money in the PCV area to do it the wrong way. How can this POSSIBLY be the installer's fault?
    crank case venting is very important in any FI setup,I was not aware of this issue,most problems I had seen on that setup was boost leaks,the intake sucking shut ,poor clamping..makes me glad i did my own.

Sebring Silver
    00 Camaro SS/09 LS3 Vette

STS kits are junk, especially on a 6-speed car. Save your money for something else or go with a procharger.
    I went down the STS route, nothing but trouble.

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLs1 View Post
    STS kits are junk, especially on a 6-speed car. Save your money for something else or go with a procharger.
    I went down the STS route, nothing but trouble.

Well there is the best advice of this thread.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

But thats still online reading. I never seen any member's car on here in person. Down here there is a speed shop that installs STS turbos all the time and I am at the shop all the time. I never seen anyone have problems or complains about them at all.

You guys with the STS kits do you remove your cats or leave them on? Also if you take them off was it a noticable difference?

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, Son bought a complete ceramic internal coated headers, hi-flow cats back system. 3 inch pipes. Later he found out, he could of saved some $ by just keeping the stock system. ( He just had both original cats replaced under warranty.) By us we have emission tests to go thru. I don't know if the son researched the Pro-charger when he bought his STS system. Up-graded ball bearing turbo. Depending on me. ( Dad ) to help him on the install. He did research nitrous & didn't want to go that route, nor a Supercharger. Now I'm not saying any one is better or worse. Personal preferences. I know he wanted a daily driver that would pass emission tests. And go when he wanted it to. With out making it a drag strip only car. I've told him storys of in my youth, of dropping big $ into a car that I sold later for cents on the dollar I had invested. Had a 66 Olds Cutlass that would beat my buddys 383 Road Runner. I'd bet there are pros & cons on the Pro-Charger too, or any set-up you buy. Turbos are just one piece of the puzzle on any thing bought. Deal with getting the tune right, better clutch package, larger injectors, larger fuel pump that has to go along with it? He wanted a well rounded car that handles, scoots when nailed and won't break his bank account. Or keep breaking parts under power. A Q for all here. Has anyone actually driven a 6 speed, STS turbo with the methanol injection, dual boost control, when it finally has the bugs outta it? I have. Frost, What would you recomend on the crank case venting? Dave
    Last edited by locodave; 12-10-2008 at 10:30 PM.

I would agree they're not the best, I picked up a complete upgraded system with injectors, fmic, gt67 shipped for $2500. If I was paying full price I would probably go a different route but lets not forget about all the turbo companies that screwed people by taking their money and either going out of business or very slow delivery. My point being if you go somewhere else check closely.

Fire
    2002 SS

I know some owners who are happy with them. One went 173 at the TexasMile "Chevrolet/Corvette/Black/ZO6/2002 173.799".
    http://www.texasmile.net/results/Oct...leResults.html
    Motor is built now but when it was stock it was a daily driver. It still drives to work daily. It's an STS twin-turbo kit.

I like the idea of a kit you bolt-on and have stock drive-ability, but have great power when you hit it. You could easily remove it and return the car to stock if you wanted to. What I see with many other turbo and belt-driven blowers is that you have to fuck-up the car's engine compartment to accommodate them, and they make servicing the vehicle a nightmare. The STS is definitely not the way to go for a race car -depends how much time you wanna spend working on your car instead of driving it. And how much money you want to spend.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by locodave View Post
    .... A Q for all here. Has anyone actually driven a 6 speed, STS turbo with the methanol injection, dual boost control, when it finally has the bugs outta it? I have. Frost, What would you recomend on the crank case venting? Dave

Yes, I have driven and ridden in the STS cars that I have tuned. I don't like the M6 lag too much... you get 2-3 psi in first gear because there isn't enough load. Then you get a few more in second gear, and MAY reach full boost by the top of second gear. If not; there is always 3rd gear to finally have the load to get it spooled. The [stalled] auto-trans works much better with the STS kit.

For venting, pop a fitting into the pipe between the turbo inlet and filter. Run the line to a catch can to keep oil from the turbo's inlet. Run the other side of the can to the two valve covers to draw vacuum. Vacuum will grow as the turbo comes up keeping the crankcase vented.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    I know some owners who are happy with them. One went 173 at the TexasMile "Chevrolet/Corvette/Black/ZO6/2002 173.799".
    http://www.texasmile.net/results/Oct...leResults.html
    Motor is built now but when it was stock it was a daily driver. It still drives to work daily. It's an STS twin-turbo kit.

I am specifically fussing about the f-body kit; not the twin kit for the vettes

There seems to be a lot of hate for the STS kit. If it's installed and tuned right I don't see why it wouldn't work well. I've seen them on quite of few LSX powered cars and they were putting out some serious power. I rode in a 2002 T/A with the STS kit at 10psi of boost, and let me tell you that was an extremely powerful car. I'm sure that car was knocking on 10s in the quarter. The principle is pretty sound, you have the turbos in the back so the charge temperatures are much lower, and as compact as a F-bodies engine bay is, it's easy to work on under the car. (I'm sure you've all changed spark plugs on an F-body, imagine trying to maintenance turbos down there on a traditional setup.... not fun).

What problems are all of you having with these kits? Because I've been told that all you have to do is get T-bolt clamps for the charge pipes and get better stainless steel oil lines (since the ones they provide have been known to leak at the threads - I've seen it). But these are minor issues that you'd have with any aftermarket kit. The oil pump they provide is pretty decent. They give you quality parts from Garrett and Tial. What's the issue? I've seen nothing but good things from these STS kits.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Thanks Frost, ->
    "For venting, pop a fitting into the pipe between the turbo inlet and filter. Run the line to a catch can to keep oil from the turbo's inlet. Run the other side of the can to the two valve covers to draw vacuum. Vacuum will grow as the turbo comes up keeping the crankcase vented."
    His turbo dosen't have much lag that I can tell. Might be the headers & 3 inch exaust going down to the pipe for the turbo. Kinda like taking a coffee can & filling it with water & poking a smaller hole for flow? Your right on low boost pressure & his work around is revving it up a bit to get the boost up with the clutch in before he lets out the clutch if he wants the pressure up before hand. I've explained to him on side slipping the clutch & the shock on the drivetrain will break something. The comment on a bolt on kit & away we go. I'm not really shure how it would be on just a bolt on & not changing out the injectors for larger ones, re-programming the ECM, better fulel pump, ect. More air into the intake requires more fuel & stock ECM settings gonna keep up? All you need one time to go lean & fry a piston. You'll wish you bought them "extras" when you price out an engine rebuild. Think thats what ppl don't understand when boosting an engine. All the other things to buy & sort it all out to make it work. I'm also thinking about all those couplers between the pipes to go metal on the straight pipes. I have a MIG & torch set, know how to form metal. Dave
    Last edited by locodave; 12-11-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Fire
    2002 SS

I am specifically fussing about the f-body kit; not the twin kit for the vettes
    Thanks for clearing that up...
    Damn -I was liking the STS kits.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, Don't quit liking them. Others could be better as tech goes on & on. At the time, he bought what he wanted on doing his homework beforehand on what was out there. Once you've bought it, you deal with it. And important to get help from who you bought things from. Son has called up STS many times with a Q & they are very knowadagble on their product to help him. He did buy a Diablo programmer & also. Help there, was enormas for sorting it out. All in all. I don't think the son spent his $ foolishly on what he bought. For what he wanted to achive. Dave

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I am not defending the sts kits nor have I ever had one ,but with any setup there are problems,you either need to fab things or get someone who can,every situation and car is diffrent just like people.they do work.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

The thing with the STS kits are they know there are problems with them.....oil return, blowbye, and couplers are just a few....the oil pump they send you just cant get the job done.....you can search the forums and see plenty of people that have had problems with them.....I've talked to STS in great lengths about their problems but they seem to think that they will just go away if they keep acting like they dont exist...if you want to throw your money away with one then I say go for it....but just dont come on here bitching and moaning about the problems.....I just hate to see people wasting their hard earned money on them.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

The only problems i have had so far with my kit was exhaust leaks. Welded pipes together fixed the problem. running 12psi with amazing results. the boost lag is very minimal. I have 5psi boost at 3000-3500rpm in 1st with my M6. i am not for sure, but does a centrifugal supercharger even have full boost at 3500rpm? i don't think so. as long as your foot is in the gas, it's at full boost. With that much boost/power in first gear the power is useless because it just shreds the tires. i honestly usually only drive my car on 5psi because anything more is usable on the street with street tires. Once i get a rearend/stickys maybe the 12psi will become more usable but until then i perfectly happy with the kit and it results at 5 psi. if you looking for solely a strip car though, there is probably better options out there. I am perfectly happy with my kit and its results for what i use it for.

Silver
    1998 TA Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    There seems to be a lot of hate for the STS kit. If it's installed and tuned right I don't see why it wouldn't work well. I've seen them on quite of few LSX powered cars and they were putting out some serious power. I rode in a 2002 T/A with the STS kit at 10psi of boost, and let me tell you that was an extremely powerful car. I'm sure that car was knocking on 10s in the quarter. The principle is pretty sound, you have the turbos in the back so the charge temperatures are much lower, and as compact as a F-bodies engine bay is, it's easy to work on under the car. (I'm sure you've all changed spark plugs on an F-body, imagine trying to maintenance turbos down there on a traditional setup.... not fun).

What problems are all of you having with these kits? Because I've been told that all you have to do is get T-bolt clamps for the charge pipes and get better stainless steel oil lines (since the ones they provide have been known to leak at the threads - I've seen it). But these are minor issues that you'd have with any aftermarket kit. The oil pump they provide is pretty decent. They give you quality parts from Garrett and Tial. What's the issue? I've seen nothing but good things from these STS kits.
    It's not that everyone is bagging...I think there are some unrealistic expectations all around. IMHO they (STS) work but not well. The rear mount turbo idea is a valid one...the STS single turbo Camaro/TA kit just doesn't work well. By the time you get it sorted you should have gone custom from the start. If you go that route then you need to bend your own pipes and fab everything up which ends up costing a fair amount of cash. Also by the time you spend that much you could have bought a cam/headers/heads/full exhaust and be doing just as well power wise and not having to worry about all the turbo tuning issues...

I personally think it would be really cool because I like keeping all of my accessories, not notching the frame, etc. Also if the car isn't designed for a turbo under the hood you can start causing problems with almost anything else mounted under the hood that is not going to be able to stand the increased temps.

From your sig it looks like you are definitely turbo familiar...not sure if you've pursued putting a turbo on a N/A motor though. It's not easy and it ain't gonna be cheap...again see statement 1. This is where things don't make sense on these cars.

Sebring Silver
    00 Camaro SS/09 LS3 Vette

STS kits are fucking junk. Take a circus to get them running correctly.
    APS is no better. Difference is APS has a better legal department and customer service.

Go with a real kit like TTi. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM
  2. 11-12-2011, 02:46 AM

Thread Information