Thread: STS Turbo

Red
    98 Trans Am

STS Turbo

Alright, shoot me already if this has already been asked but...
    Im looking into forced induct and I want to know if this system is worth it.
    The therory sound good.
    I looked in to the STS KIT for the LS1 on THeir site and it looks pretty straight forward.

Are there any hidden mods that they don't tell you about?

Now before i get the "get a bigger dog" speech, I'll tell you now:
    Im keeping it a Street legal weekend warrior type. Even the tires stay legal even at the track. I Drag and Auto-X and since im in the military, it goes where i go. Im about to go from Wisconsin to Texas next month.
    I've read all the "HOOPLA" from the manufactures now i want to know from the actual gearheads out there.
    I like the fact that Turbos don't "steal" power from the engine. SO i want to go with that.

Is it good or not?

98 Trans Am
    Flowmaster Muffler
    thats about it, i just got it and ive been in Korea for the past year, so no time to work on it latley.

Red
    98 Trans Am

also what about the timeing? i know 5-8 lbs of boost aint mush, but im not sure about the already high compression Ls1. Does the computer need a "quicky" as well?

red
    95 z28 convertible

the sts system is fairly easy to install, and it works good but its not the best. and yes you will have to tune your computer. I bought a used one and I am having a few problems. also if you have sub frame connectors the piping wont work. I found out the hard way....

Red
    98 Trans Am

i hear alot of people talking about this Ls1 edit. The SFC wont bug me too much. I havnt got them in yet, havnt had time. Im not looking for a turbo that eats small children and pets, just somthing that will keep me entertained when im not at work. Plus the DIY factor helps too.

The STS kit is a great starter kit and is becoming somewhat of a professional level kit. For install you may need an extra hand but once it is installed you'll like it and should be impressed with the power gains. Everyday driving I run 5psi. and make right @ 464HP and @ 8 psi. around 500-512HP

When purchasing the kit there are some things that are not included but needed when doing any power adder set up like, injectors, fuel pump is up to you, spark plugs, things of that nature. Also it doesn't hurt to have a pair of wideband O2's for each bank in the car along with a boost gauge.

Red
    98 Trans Am

yeah, sounds like fun. I found online a place that sell the whole kit all together, STS Kit, boost gauge, injectors, etc.. it's called Texas Rear Turbos and they suppositly are authorized dealers. They have different levels, including insane 1000hp applications that are little questionable.

That sounds kind of iffy. I am running the upgraded GT67 turbo. I plan on eventually upgrading to a ball bearing turbo. It is possible on an fbody to run an intercooler with some fabrication but I want to keep the front impact cushion since it's an every day driver but I will be running a meth. kit shortly.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Yeah, im keeping mine original as well, even though the altered front end to make a front intercooler looks kinda cool. Im going to stay away from NOS. and anything that requires me to ripe apart my engine for now. Until i find myself a 02 TA with a M6, this will be the grocery getter for now.... but what a sweet ride to go to the store in. I make stuff up to the misses just to go to walmart for milk or something. Later though, i will start putting together the other must haves in like forged everything and carbonfiber what have yous. But, alas, patiance must over come.. and tax season only comes but once a year.
    Last edited by Joshua.Grooms; 12-18-2006 at 05:31 AM.

Thread Information