Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

STS turbo??

This is a discussion on STS turbo?? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; If your talking about me mine is a m6...

White
    2000 Trans Am

If your talking about me mine is a m6

black
    04 silverado

14 psi on a bone stock motor w/out tune, I guess you'll be in the market for a new motor soon, unless your running way up north, like alaska, you would have really bad detonation.
    Also, no computer tune, stock fuel system, you have to be running dangerously lean, mater of fact, you should have already stuck a piston, I dont care if you are running 91 octane.
    also turbos are really hard on exhaust valves, that much boost would kill them

14 psi is possible, w/ heavy mods like intercooler and meth. inj. also tune on any forced induction is necesary, also if you want your motor to last, lower compression pistons and rods, a cam w/ close to stock on intake side, and more on the exhaust side.
    Last edited by shabysurf; 11-21-2006 at 11:12 AM.

White
    2000 Trans Am

Nah, this guy tuned his truck himself. He says he putting 14 p.s.i. out of a stock bottom end. I don't know!!! But, if he is I think I could trust him to tune my car with only 8 p.s.i. and with meth. I think he runs FMIC and meth.

Jimmy

Black
    2002/WS6 Trans am STS

hey jimmy I just had a sts kit put on my 2002 ws6. with 8psi i have 482 and 550 trq at the rearwheels. do you know anyone else with this kit?

White
    2000 Trans Am

Nah, I don't. I am low on money or mine would have been put in months ago.!!! I had to get my moser 9" and clutch put in first!!!

98 Z28 M6

hey how much did the sts kit cost you? and am i reading this right that you can just put the sts kit on and run 8-9 psi and not need many other mods? im sorry if i sound dumb, i dont know much about turbo kits yet.

White
    2000 Trans Am

They say safe on a ls1 is 8 p.s.i. But you would have to put a FMIC or Meth, fuel injectors, and a fuel pump to run 8 p.s.i. You can run 5 p.s.i. without it. And also you will have to get a tune with any p.s.i. you run bc C/R is to high.

Jimmy

Black
    2002/WS6 Trans am STS

Quote Originally Posted by biga0206 View Post
    hey how much did the sts kit cost you? and am i reading this right that you can just put the sts kit on and run 8-9 psi and not need many other mods? im sorry if i sound dumb, i dont know much about turbo kits yet.
    the sts kit cost me 5,300 to my house. that was with the upgraded turbo 67mm, boost controller, blow off valve. i had a custom intercooler installed that went for 1,200 and a upgraded fuel pump system 399. the guys from Fremont, CA recommended the intercooler and fuel pump system to be safe at 8-9psi. so just for the sts kit and the upgrades was about 7,000. but i'm new to this too, learning as i go. but enjoying everytime i drive my car.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Isn't there a under hood or under car kit for $5,000 like the GTO's have? Or is the STS the only thing available for f body?

Quote Originally Posted by ericwilloughby View Post
    Isn't there a under hood or under car kit for $5,000 like the GTO's have? Or is the STS the only thing available for f body?
    check out my thread
    What Turbo kits are avialable for the F- Body?
    If it doesn't have a turbo or a V8, it doesn't belong on the road.

Hey guys look it came back from the shop! I still need a bigger wing though...

Black
    2002 Z28

Ive heard the m6 is glass and breaks easy, although that is what I have and I havent had any problems with it yet. I figure I am puttin about 550 hp through it.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

I've read the M6 is the last piece you will have problem with. Rear end, A4, stock internals are weaker.

Black
    2002/WS6 Trans am STS

Quote Originally Posted by 1badazz02z28 View Post
    Ive heard the m6 is glass and breaks easy, although that is what I have and I havent had any problems with it yet. I figure I am puttin about 550 hp through it.
    I'm putting out about the same numbers, I plan on uping those numbers soon. At what hp should I worry about it. What should I do for my m6 so it dosen't break on me? Get a new one or upgrade the one I have.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I have to go with the guy saying the stock rear end will create a black hole if you go over 450hp with it and hard lauch it. ive seen it.
    Is this STS system worth the time and effort? I got a stock 98 TA i just got last year and im trying to see what will make it a little more fun. I realize im gonna have to take off my FM muffler, which i kinda like.

White
    2000 Trans Am

Im in the stages on installing mine right now!!! I just got done putting spark plugs in, new fuel pump, and now its time for the turbo.
    I have one question for you STS guys. I am going with meth inj. and was wondering if just any kit I buy will hook up to STS electronic turbo controller?(so if I run out of meth it will change the p.s.i. setting to 4) I was wanting to get Devil's Own kit.

Jimmy

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    I will tell you this.....I wouldn't run a stock motor with 8-9psi....good tune or not.........but if you dont mind replacing parts soon then sure.......
    Actually, the meth kit is supposed to allow a higher boost without using an intercooler.
    "100+ psi Sequential Methanol Injection System supplements stock fuel systems with extra fuel while dramatically dropping intake air temperatures as well as lowering combustion and exhaust temperatures. The system is tuneable and adjustable."
    I also have the boost controller. I run 5 psi on the street, but when I want to race I switch to 8 psi. Since this is only once in a while, the engine should not self-destruct. The bigger concern is the total rwhp. Can the stock LS1 bottom end handle 500 rwhp? That would be a reason for the engine to grenade, NA or FI.
    1997 Arrest Me Red Formula
    A4 3.42 / Fuddle 3400
    STS Turbo

pewtr
    2002 Trans am WS-6

ive had the sts for a little while and have had nothing but troubles. plus i dont like the idea i cant ride if it rains hard, i modding a lil more now, putting 6.0 heads to lower my compression so i can run higher boost, my main problem i have is iol from the exhaust, problem comes and goes butlasts about a week or 2 when it does mess up, the sound is real nice, youll love the sound of a sts, and definate go water/meth kit, im doin same now, your intake will wtill run a lil hot if you dont, which will drop possible hp, there cheap and will get you the numbers you want, my 1st tune didnt get me the numbers i wanted but i put down at track what i wanted which was mid 12's and that was with stock injectors and fuel pump, there all changed now with more mods to run more boost safley, but dont believe numbers the sts site shows you, that might be like 1 outa 20 shops can pull out and other minor mods like water/meth kit or innercooler, but they are possible plus more, but maybe not on a stock motor, lol., i took to get tuned again with a elect, boost controler which gives 1-5 psi more and put 2 hoses in wrong stop which gave me infanite boost, lol needless to say was on dyno, the boost guage was burried with only goes to 25 psi lol, byno was over 600hp and only half way in rpms lol til we shut machine right off,luckily all i blew was valve cover gaskets, it should be goin back within next 2-3 weeks back to dyno so il see what u pull, should be over 500 ealily, im gona sell car right after, il take to track like 2 or 3 times , get my 11 sec time slip and getrid of, i wana corvette, im tired of workingon cars, next time i want a 10 sec all motor car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information