Thread: STS Systems

Black
    99 Trans Am

STS Systems

Hi to all,I was considering buying a STS rear turbo system for my mostly stock 99 SS Camaro,LS1-6 speed.Does anyone have any experience with these systems?Are they worth the money?Will the stock engine live(70,000km excellent shape)?Any help would be appreciated,Thanks.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Most people on this forum will have negative feedback on STS. Issues are: poor fitment, poor oil feed which causes premature wear, and overall a poor design from what I've gathered over the last 5 or so years.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black
    99 Trans Am

Thanks,35th-anv-ss,what type of forced induction do you reccommend?I would like a package,not having to make it up out of bits and pieces,thanks,br427.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Procharger will probably be the most common setup. All FI setups will require some fab for the most part. Your best bet would be to take it to a shop you trust, and have them do it. That way everything is tuned and setup properly as well.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Guess it depends on how deep your wallet is. I have a rather large amount of $ into my FI set-up. I didn't skimp on anything though. I am running a Procharger D1SC head unit with a methanol injection system and front mount intercooler, along with all the other bells and whistles.

If you're dead set on a turbo, I'd look at possibly Garrett or Turbonetics. A lot of people have used the 76mm trim and have had great results. A front mount turbo would be ideal. Turbo's are generally more money than superchargers though and require more fab work.

Either route will require fabrication though. There's no such thing as a true bolt-on kit.

Red
    98 Trans Am

If you really need anwsers from those that have successfuly ran rear mounted turbos, look up ZombieSS Saga or ZL1Killer (from ls1tech) that have very detailed and helpful hints on how to run a rear mounted turbo kit properly. Zombie ran his car in the 10s with 2.75 rearend gears and a rearturbo. ZL1killer has very good indetail how he installed things and what he changed to get things to run great.
    the procharger kit would "technicaly" be easier and require less tweeking, but the Turbo would yeld more potential size depending.

Thread Information