Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

Is an STS GT67 turbo kit good?

is a gt67 turbo kit good im new to turbos?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

STS = bad

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

how so?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Turbo's don't go under the rear bumper.

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

what would you suggest

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

For a turbo kit??

TTi single.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

For a turbo kit??

TTi single.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah, STS kits are usually a huge headache.

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

sorry but whats TTI

Sebring Silver
    00 Camaro SS/09 LS3 Vette

No such thing as a good STS kit. And it has nothing to do with where the turbo is placed.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com/
    www.airpowersystems.com

take your pick...cant go wrong with either.
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

01 M6 SS Turbo

I Have not had any bad things happen with my sts kit with the base turbo. with all the bashing I would have to point to installation error. People not routing oil lines correctly and such will have a major impact on how the kit will perform. I run it with the trt fmic, a good tune and common sense(not 20psi)! Sure a front mount kit is better, but also more $$$$ and more difficult to install(with engine in car). If you want cheap hp and are not looking for an 800hp dyno slip sts kits are hard to beat. But if you want a 6-700 whp car get a front mount kit and be ready to shell out some serious dough as parts break!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by matt89 View Post
    I Have not had any bad things happen with my sts kit with the base turbo. with all the bashing I would have to point to installation error. People not routing oil lines correctly and such will have a major impact on how the kit will perform. I run it with the trt fmic, a good tune and common sense(not 20psi)! Sure a front mount kit is better, but also more $$$$ and more difficult to install(with engine in car). If you want cheap hp and are not looking for an 800hp dyno slip sts kits are hard to beat. But if you want a 6-700 whp car get a front mount kit and be ready to shell out some serious dough as parts break!

I'm pretty sick of hearing poor engineering being passed off for installation error. I'm not singling you out, but every time there is an STS thread, there is *ALWAYS* this one guy who will come in and call it that.

Before you up and respond, tell me, how *SHOULD* a PCV system on an FI car work? Are you supposed to have ZERO CRANKCASE VENTING IN BOOST? Also tell me how much that charge pipe actually cools with no intercooler (their claim: long pipe = no need for IC with low boost)? Tell me how one of the MOST expensive meth kits on the market, when jumped out (runs 100% when pressure switch is made) can only move the WOT AFR of 3.8l V6 by 2 tenths up top???

Now tell me how this crap is the fault of the person installing it...

01 M6 SS Turbo

okay I will tell you. Firstly, the kit is just that, a kit. There are parts of mine that are modded and the pcv is one of them. I have a catch can routed in as it is a reccomended way to do it through various tuners. As for the ic piping. I decided for myself that the BASE kit without ic would hit ait's in the 180's after a 1/4 mile run...the solution??? Get an ic. Every turbo car should have one. If you were one of the people who bolted on a base kit with nothing else and blew your engine up because of tuning ignorance I guess that's a turbo lesson learned the hard way. If people know what they are doing when installing these(or any turbo kit) and have the sense to get everything needed the first time there would be few problems. My daily beat on car is proof of that.

No, the kit is far from perfect as these two things alone are things that should be addressed by anyone installing the kit, but then again I have had very few mods that I have done that just "bolt right up" without tweaking along the way. That's why tuners are called "tuners" and not "bolt-er-on-ers". I'd put my car up against any car that had dollar for dollar mods into it and probably end up ahead(flame suit on). Now YES there are FM turbo kits that I would rather have because YES a turbo does work better closer to the heat source, but with alittle creativity I can find ways to get the heat back there and save 4 grand doing it.
    Last edited by matt89; 01-13-2009 at 07:00 PM.

99' 30th Ann TA

local shop here did a base STS kit on a COMPLETELY stock LS1 and got right around 475rwhp.... and it's still going fine...

I personally don't have enough knowledge on this situation, but I do understand things from both sides...
    30th Anniversary Trans Am #0998
    B&B triflow exhaust, American Racing Headers, RPM Level V T-56, RPS clutch, LS6 intake, P&P TB, Hotchkis lower trailing, Panard Rod, Tower Brace, SFC's, and Swar Bar Kit, BMR Lowering Springs, HAL Adjustable Shocks and Coilovers, Powerslot Rotors

nbm
    99 B4U Z28

Hey bird, Iam running a 67m sts kit with a 31x12x3 fmic with 918 springs and c-moly push rods.On 9 psi with a good tune.Iam putting down 500 to the wheels and am very happy!!!!And i have less then $3,500 in to it!!YOU BE THE JUDGE ???

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by matt89 View Post
    okay I will tell you. Firstly, the kit is just that, a kit. There are parts of mine that are modded and the pcv is one of them. I have a catch can routed in as it is a reccomended way to do it through various tuners. As for the ic piping. I decided for myself that the BASE kit without ic would hit ait's in the 180's after a 1/4 mile run...the solution??? Get an ic. Every turbo car should have one. If you were one of the people who bolted on a base kit with nothing else and blew your engine up because of tuning ignorance I guess that's a turbo lesson learned the hard way. If people know what they are doing when installing these(or any turbo kit) and have the sense to get everything needed the first time there would be few problems. My daily beat on car is proof of that.

No, the kit is far from perfect as these two things alone are things that should be addressed by anyone installing the kit, but then again I have had very few mods that I have done that just "bolt right up" without tweaking along the way. That's why tuners are called "tuners" and not "bolt-er-on-ers". I'd put my car up against any car that had dollar for dollar mods into it and probably end up ahead(flame suit on). Now YES there are FM turbo kits that I would rather have because YES a turbo does work better closer to the heat source, but with alittle creativity I can find ways to get the heat back there and save 4 grand doing it.

If you are going to do all of that you can afford to get a good FI kit or setup from the beginning...

01 M6 SS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    If you are going to do all of that you can afford to get a good FI kit or setup from the beginning...
    I don't know about that. The only thing you do to get the turbo to spool faster due to heat issues is wrap the exhaust in header wrap (2 rolls for 45 bucks) and the pvc mod is done by putting a catch can in and not using the 1 psi P.O.S. thing in the kit. I think for the money the kit is the easiest on the market and the cost savings comes from things like not having to replace exhaust manifolds and things that are required with front kits. I don't think I could find a fM kit for 5,000 that includes dual valve springs, injectors, fpump, tuner intercooler and the various other things that are needed to make it work.

Junior Member east TX muscle cars's Avatar

orange
    2005 corvette 2004 gto

Um , we install at least 1 of these kit a week on GTO's corvettes, just about anything. we have ZERO issues with the STS kits and all the kits now have a BOV and a INNER COOLER with them. We run oine on our shop car(05 vette) and it is a 1200HP car and is going to the track in a few weeks and we are shooting for the FIRST C6 in the 8's. they are a good kit IMO.

TURBOS,NITROUS,HAND PORTING OF HEADS,SUPERCHARGERS, heads and cams, DYNO TUINING.
    www.easttexasmusclecars.com

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I'm sorry, the STS kits are junk! I've installed them and wont do it again. And no, it wasn't an install error. The oil line running to the front, up the firewall, and then dropping it on top of the cylinder head is just part of the problem. You can find enough threads on the net that shows what people are saying about these kits. Funny thing is they all pretty much complain about the same things. And STS doesn't put out a "kit" that will put a corvette to the 1200hp range.....that is a little fabbing on one's part I'm afraid...I know their site claims the Z06 turbos are rated at 1000hp but I'll believe that one when I see it....

Frost hit the nail on the head....

The amount of money you spend on making these things run you could of had a professional build you one for your car or go with a TTI kit.....
    Last edited by cailey37; 01-18-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information